Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have decided that I will NOT wait for SCDS one's to come back into stock. I want a slot1 card NOW. I mainly want it for the ability to use the Opera Browser and I already have a SCminiSD and the "hacked for SC" Opera. Besides, I don't want to be FORCED to buy a high speed flashcard just for compatibility, which is another reason not to wait for SCDS's.

M3's and R4's ARE in stock at RHS right now.

I understand that either card can be modded to be the other. But for this discussion, let's pretend that ability doesn't exist, mmkay?

1) Which one is better out-of-the-box?

2) Which has the better Frontend?

3) Which has the most support from its company?

4) Which one has the least reported defects/problems?

5) Which one comes with the most goodies in the box? (card reader, CD's, etc.)

6) Do either or both support patched AND unpatched roms?

7) Which one is happier with slow SD cards?

8) Which is more slot2 Supercard friendly?

Those are the critical questions I need answered as best as possible.

Any info would be helpful to help me make my decision. I'm going to order one of them tonight (2-17-07) before I crash-out. I DID check out the comparator (which is AWESOME by the way), but they rated exactly the same in the comparator, so I need the input of the community.

Thanks

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You obviously didn't READ my post.
frown.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
1) Which one is better out-of-the-box?Â
Both, they're the same.

2) Which has the better Frontend?Â
Dunno what a frontend is?
shy.gif

R4, M3Simply gets the same updates 1-2 days later.

No difference.

Both the same.

Both the same.

Both the same.

Both the same.
They're just the same, so it doesn't really mather...
Another topic about this...

Verocity

Ö!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M3 Simplys and R4's are both the same the R4 is made my M3 from what I know. And I would say go with the R4 it has great combatability all around, To answer the other questions maybe someone else can back up my post. Or you can go look at the extensive reviews that GBAtemp gives us..

FuManChuu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have decided that I will NOT wait for SCDS one's to come back into stock. I want a slot1 card NOW. I mainly want it for the ability to use the Opera Browser and I already have a SCminiSD and the "hacked for SC" Opera. Besides, I don't want to be FORCED to buy a high speed flashcard just for compatibility, which is another reason not to wait for SCDS's.

I understand that either card can be modded to be the other. But for this discussion, let's pretend that ability doesn't exist, mmkay?

Any info would be helpful to help me make my decision. I'm going to order one of them tonight (2-17-07) before I crash-out. I DID check out the comparator (which is AWESOME by the way), but they rated exactly the same in the comparator, so I need the input of the community.

Thanks

What you need to realize... is that for virtually all purposes... these cards are the EXACT same.... down to about the complete nitty gritty.

1. M3 is a little fancier, cause its the m3 name.... but, again, same card.
2. They both use moonshell... again, same card. BUT - more people are tending to release skins under the "R4" name, so you'll have more options there... but.... same card.
3. M3s support is legendary, but on these 2 cards particular... R4 releases the update first, and a similar update for M3 soon follows
4. Haven't heard about anything with regards to defects
5. Uh... i think M3 now? I might be wrong... I think m3 still comes with two color shells... but I'm completely making that up
6. Do your research, again, same card.
7. See 6.
8. See 7.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
if you really want to use opera on your DS i suggest you check out the EZ Flash V slot 1 flash cart, there should be a review on this website about the new bundle they have that has a ram expansion slot 2 device that works with opera well, i just saying that the R4 may not be for you because it doesn't have a slot 2 device included unless you already have a slot 2 device.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you really want to use opera on your DS i suggest you check out the EZ Flash V slot 1 flash cart, there should be a review on this website about the new bundle they have that has a ram expansion slot 2 device that works with opera well, i just saying that the R4 may not be for you because it doesn't have a slot 2 device included unless you already have a slot 2 device.

He said:
"I already have a SCminiSD and the "hacked for SC" Opera"

[..]
What you need to realize... is that for virtually all purposes... these cards are the EXACT same.... down to about the complete nitty gritty.

1. M3 is a little fancier, cause its the m3 name.... but, again, same card.
5. Uh... i think M3 now? I might be wrong... I think m3 still comes with two color shells... but I'm completely making that up
1. So it's better out of the box because of the name?
5. They both don't come with both shells anymore.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have decided that I will NOT wait for SCDS one's to come back into stock. I want a slot1 card NOW. I mainly want it for the ability to use the Opera Browser and I already have a SCminiSD and the "hacked for SC" Opera. Besides, I don't want to be FORCED to buy a high speed flashcard just for compatibility, which is another reason not to wait for SCDS's.

I understand that either card can be modded to be the other. But for this discussion, let's pretend that ability doesn't exist, mmkay?
Ok
Same
Same
R4 gets firmware updates a day or so sooner than M3
Same
Same
NO, they both support clean ROMs
Both cards have good tolerance to slower cards
Same

Any info would be helpful to help me make my decision. I'm going to order one of them tonight (2-17-07) before I crash-out. I DID check out the comparator (which is AWESOME by the way), but they rated exactly the same in the comparator, so I need the input of the community.

Thanks
Ok

- Sam

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
R4 rules the world. It's the best flashcard I've ever had. Sure, DS-X is legendary, but it's a bit too fancy and overpriced (I have it though).

I'm afraid M3 team will drop the support for M3 Simply after they release M3 Real. So, you're better off buying R4. Also, M3 Simply costs a bit more 'cause of the name. How stupid is that?

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
R4 rules the world. It's the best flashcard I've ever had. Sure, DS-X is legendary, but it's a bit too fancy and overpriced (I have it though).

I'm afraid M3 team will drop the support for M3 Simply after they release M3 Real. So, you're better off buying R4. Also, M3 Simply costs a bit more 'cause of the name. How stupid is that?
Agreed, now that they are putting the finishing touches on their M3 "Real" they won't have time to mess with their Simply. Also, this may go along with the fact that R4 updates come out faster than M3's because M3 is devoting resources towards their new card, so when an R4 update comes out, they may just copy the code over to their card and poof there it is

They are essentially the same card. I'm probably wrong but this is my assumption from what I'm reading.
R4 is the main designer of this card. M3 also invested in R4's design which allows for them to push out the exact same card, just with their brand name to hold them over until the Real arrives.

Grab the R4, I've heard nothing but positives from them.

One question I had, is R4 and G6 the same company???
I saw a G6 Banner at the bottom of the R4 Homepage http://www.r4ds.com/g6_lite.htm

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking around at RHS and the R4DS was looking good with out-of-the-box extras.

I just wanted to get the community's impression of which is better. So far, I'm leaning towards the R4, even though the M3 is the SAME CARD as has been said in this thread many times, LOL.

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was looking around at RHS and the R4DS was looking good with out-of-the-box extras.

I just wanted to get the community's impression of which is better. So far, I'm leaning towards the R4, even though the M3 is the SAME CARD as has been said in this thread many times, LOL.
There is no "better." The only differences are cosmetic (i.e. Do you like the sticker on the M3 or the R4 better?) and the answer to that varies on a person's taste. Just get whatever one you can find cheaper.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered the R4 from RHS.

I also ordered a Transcend 2gig microSD from newegg. It matches the Transcend 2gig miniSD in my SCminiSD.
wink.gif

I'll have 4gigs of happiness at my disposal.
wub.gif

I will be browsing through the DS Opera Browser soon!
yaynds.gif
(and complaining about the speed later, no doubt, LOL)

Should have it all somewhere between the 21rst and the 23rd of February.

Thanks to all who added their input.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: In fact. I freely give info. Stuff like gasoline apps, to save $, grocery apps, lots of cash...