Hacking Recoding fmvs so they work with the loader

Whtrvn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You know how on a psp there are ripkits to make isos fit on your mem stick. the same method should work to "fix" games that have choppy or messed up fmvs due to the backup launcher. if the videos are recoded to bitrate that the drive can handle, it should solve the issue. I havent actually tried recoding, but i did take apart a game and watch all its .thp files. the other thing that could be done if we cant recode, is to try swapping the files with a small working file as a placeholder. I havent had time lately or i would test this out more, which i will eventually if noone else does first.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which game are you speaking of, exactly?

With Guitar Hero, the video files are Bink encoded, which makes it very easy to encode them to a lower bitrate or remove them all together.

In fact, replacing the videos with single byte Bink videos(using RadTools) frees up a good 1.5GB, allowing you to add an entire set of songs.

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think he means like all game for instance De blob, destroy all humans now theres a bad one not only is the fmv so bad you cant make out a word but also its long and cant be skipped so Really annoying. but yes mate i think your on to summit

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skedone said:
i think he means like all game for instance De blob, destroy all humans now theres a bad one not only is the fmv so bad you cant make out a word but also its long and cant be skipped so Really annoying. but yes mate i think your on to summit

You don't seem to realize that there isn't a unanimous format for multimedia in games. Even though Bink encoding is the most popular, due to the fact that licensing is virtually free, some developers still spring for quality video encoding.

Most games are written to function even if a file, such as a texture or video, is missing. Instead, the item is either stepped over or placeheld by a dummy texture. So, if you were to create a single byte file to overwrite your video, the game will continue to function.

However, this doesn't help our cause in keeping the media intact.

GexX2Hopefully we can eventually recode the brawl videos so we can have a full video'd dvd5.

I believe you already can... Brawl uses Bink encoding. Just get RadTools and encode it to a lower bitrate.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycon said:
many games also use a format called thp http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=THP. there are codecs for mplayer to play them just fine, dont know about encoding.

and yes discs can be edited with trucha signer. so it jsut a matter of finding out what works.

Directly from the wiki you cited:

QUOTEThe files contain unescaped Motion JPEG data and a custom ADPCM coding format for sound.

So, all it would take would be an encoder that can do mJPEG and PCM, which any good one will do.

Since Mplayer supports it, I'm pretty sure Mencoder will do the job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...