Tutorial  Updated

Region Changing the Wii U

The way I used to do it was tedious and was quite complex, however with the v2.0 release of the wafel_setup_mlc plugin, region changing has become much simpler.

It is identical to just rebuilding the MLC, but this has region changing specific notes added.

This does not change the region of the Gamepad, however you can still use an out-of-region gamepad with Aroma, which can be loaded with a Stroopwafel plugin, so you don't need to worry about getting a gamepad from the region you are changing to.

Following this guide will wipe the MLC. You should back up any saves you care about before following. Its possible to do it without wiping the MLC, you just skip the Erase MLC and Delete scfm.img steps, but you will have to remove the old titles with this wupclient (Right Click -> Save As).

Keep an OTP and SEEPROM backup. Nothing should go wrong, but it is better to have the most important backups and not need them vs. need them and not have them.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY.
If you need support, you can join my server and ask in #help

What you need

• Install isfshax. This is a requirement. You cannot region change without it. (You can also use de_Fuse, but at that point you probably already know what you are doing.)
    • Stop at the "Booting" section.
  • The release of the MLCRestorerDownloader for your OS.
  • The latest release of the MLC setup plugin.
  • The latest release of the Payloader plugin.
  • The latest files for Aroma. (If you already have it, you do not need to recopy it)
    • Read and tick the 4 boxes -> Click on Download Payloads and Download Base Aroma

Downloading the MLC Titles

1. Extract the MLCRestorerDownloader you downloaded.
  2. Copy the otp.bin into the extracted folder.
  3. Open a command prompt / terminal and run the application (ie .\MLCRestorerDownloader.exe for Windows users).
  4. Type in 1 the for MLC titles.
  5. Type in the number for the region you want to change to (ie 2 for USA).
  6. Wait for it to finish downloading. You can do part of the next section while you wait.

SD Setup

1. Copy the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx to sd:/wiiu/ios_plugins.
  2. Copy the wafel_payloader.ipx to sd:/wiiu/ios_plugins.
  3. Copy the two wiiu folders from the Aroma .zip files to the root of the SD.
  4. Copy the root.rpx from sd:/wiiu/environments/aroma to sd:/wiiu.
  5. Make a folder called wafel_install on the root of the SD and copy all 52 MLC titles here.
Region Changing

1. Boot the console.
    • If it does not automatically go into minute_minute, go install isfshax.
  2. Navigate to Backup and Restore.
  3. Select Erase MLC and then press EJECT to confirm.
    • If it tells you MLC Erase not allowed, go install isfshax.
  4. Select Delete scfm.img and press EJECT to confirm.
    • If it gives you a warning about bricking the console, do not continue and install isfshax. It's not playing around.
  5. Go back to the main menu and select Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc).
  6. Wait for the LED to start blinking blue, this means the setup has started. Wait for it to stop blinking, that is when the setup has finished.
  7. Shut off the console and put the SD back into your PC.
  8. Check the wafel_setup_mlc.log file on the root and make sure there were no errors (everything should have 00000000, except for SetInitialLaunch, which will have a 1).
  9. If everything looks right, delete the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx file from sd:/wiiu/ios_plugins.
  10. Boot the console again, select Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc), and you should be greeted with initial setup. Success!
Manually fixing the sys_prod

You only need to do this section if the MCP_SetSysProdSettings returned error FFFBFFEE, if it returned a 0, then you can skip this section.
  1. Install Python on your PC.
  2. Download this wupclient.py. (Right Click -> Save as..)
  3. Edit the IP Address on line 140 with the Wii Us IP. Do not change the port.
    • You can get the IP by looking at your router settings.
  4. Make sure the console is booting into Aroma and is on the AutobootMenu.
    • Hold + on the Gamepad while booting to get to the AutobootMenu.
    • Aroma should automatically load with the wafel_payloader plugin.
  5. Open a terminal where the wupclient.py is.
  6. Run python -i wupclient.py.
  7. When it successfully connects (should have a 0x0), run w.dl("/vol/system/config/sys_prod.xml").
  8. Open the sys_prod.xml in a text editor, and change product_area and game_region to the new region.
    • JPN - 1. USA - 2. EUR - 4.
  9. Save the file, and then run w.up("sys_prod.xml", "/vol/system/config/sys_prod.xml").
  10. Run exit() on the wupclient window, and then reboot the Wii U.
  11. If you did everything right, loading the Mii Maker in the User creation should not crash.
After Region Changing

You can keep isfshax installed, or you can uninstall it. I would keep it, so you can load Aroma on boot without needing to install PayloadLoader, or as some form of 'brick protection'.

You can region change the Gamepad with DRXutil, but no instructions will be given here. Use at your own risk!

Credits

@SDIO: isfshax setup guides, the wafel_setup_mlc plugin, help get the PoC to work, cleaning up my code, making the region fixer more sane...
@GaryOderNichts: Also help me get the PoC working
@rw-r-r_0644: Finding isfshax and implementing it

Last edited by Lazr1026,

Ddddddddd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HI i'm a newbie at modding my wii u and I have zero clue what to do at step 2 to 11 of fixing the sysprod or whatever.

RicecerHD

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello I need your help, I have executed everything up to this "wafel_setup_mlc.log" without any problems.
When I read it out, I saw that "Set region" has an error and according to the instructions I should fix the sys_prod manually. Now I need your help, according to the plan I should download "Python" and "wubclient.py", I did.
Now how should I run it, via CMD or powershell, under which folder and how do I connect it to the WiiU, because I don't know which IP my WiiU has.
And one more thing, when I start my Wii U, I am automatically directed to the "minute menu", now how should I boot to the "Aroma" or "autobootMenu". Would appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• grafik.png
    grafik.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 2
  • grafik(3).png
    grafik(3).png
    6 KB · Views: 2
  • grafik(2).png
    grafik(2).png
    7.1 KB · Views: 3
  • grafik(1).png
    grafik(1).png
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240421_185018.jpg
    20240421_185018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Memes1921

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I need your help, I have executed everything up to this "wafel_setup_mlc.log" without any problems.
When I read it out, I saw that "Set region" has an error and according to the instructions I should fix the sys_prod manually. Now I need your help, according to the plan I should download "Python" and "wubclient.py", I did.
Now how should I run it, via CMD or powershell, under which folder and how do I connect it to the WiiU, because I don't know which IP my WiiU has.
And one more thing, when I start my Wii U, I am automatically directed to the "minute menu", now how should I boot to the "Aroma" or "autobootMenu". Would appreciate any comments.
You can run Python via either of those but personally, I prefer the CMD. I'm not sure how you can check your Wii U's IP Address but for mine it was something like 192.168.0.xx (The xx depends on the device). Now, you can open Python with the command and if you have the wupclient.py in a folder (Like Downloads\ or Downloads\Wii U\ ), you can type "cd Downloads" or "cd Downloads\Wii U" and THEN type the command specified in the guide. Then make sure that "root.rpx" from "sd:\wiiu\enviroments\aroma" is also in "sd:\wiiu" to be able to boot into the AutobootMenu (Hold + on the gamepad while the logo is on the TV). After that, you can leave the Wii U alone and use an app that connects to an FTP server like FileZilla (I'm not sure if you have to get FTPiiu Everywhere first on your SD Card but just in case)

Ddddddddd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run Python via either of those but personally, I prefer the CMD. I'm not sure how you can check your Wii U's IP Address but for mine it was something like 192.168.0.xx (The xx depends on the device). Now, you can open Python with the command and if you have the wupclient.py in a folder (Like Downloads\ or Downloads\Wii U\ ), you can type "cd Downloads" or "cd Downloads\Wii U" and THEN type the command specified in the guide. Then make sure that "root.rpx" from "sd:\wiiu\enviroments\aroma" is also in "sd:\wiiu" to be able to boot into the AutobootMenu (Hold + on the gamepad while the logo is on the TV). After that, you can leave the Wii U alone and use an app that connects to an FTP server like FileZilla (I'm not sure if you have to get FTPiiu Everywhere first on your SD Card but just in case)
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

RicecerHD

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah but when I try to boot the Wii U menu, the Wii U LED flashes blue and only the Wii U menu logo is shown on the screen and the gamepad, with a few black pixels in the middle of the gamepad.

Memes1921

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but when I try to boot the Wii U menu, the Wii U LED flashes blue and only the Wii U menu logo is shown on the screen and the gamepad, with a few black pixels in the middle of the gamepad.
You don't necesarilly have to go to the Wii U menu just yet (Because you haven't completed the initial setup), you can just stay on the autobootmenu (Don't go into any option, just leave the console for now). Actually forget about the FTP client, I forgot you have to access Aroma or Tiramisu. Remeber to specify your console's IP address on the wupclient.py (Line 140) and then you can connect with the command "python -i wupclient.py". It should show "0x0" on the cmd and from there continue with the guide.
Post automatically merged:

Btw, I'm not sure if this is related but I got curious and changed the Area setting for the vWii side. I know you don't have to mess with that part but since I just region swapped the Wii U, it worked for me to region swap completely the vWii (Not just the video and game setting BUT the whole nand as well as the lanugage). And now I can boot Wii VC titles on the Wii U menu without showing the games in Japanese (Even if the game is USA region). I may be unprofessional for the vWii part but whatever happens I can just restore the original nand I backed up right (Especially since I can restore it from the Wii U side)? Either way, I just wanted to share this piece of info to everyone.

Copai1

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Sorry

What is the point of region changing a Wii U console when Region free patches already exist? Just curious, thanks.

RicecerHD

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You don't necesarilly have to go to the Wii U menu just yet (Because you haven't completed the initial setup), you can just stay on the autobootmenu (Don't go into any option, just leave the console for now). Actually forget about the FTP client, I forgot you have to access Aroma or Tiramisu. Remeber to specify your console's IP address on the wupclient.py (Line 140) and then you can connect with the command "python -i wupclient.py". It should show "0x0" on the cmd and from there continue with the guide.

Btw, I'm not sure if this is related but I got curious and changed the Area setting for the vWii side. I know you don't have to mess with that part but since I just region swapped the Wii U, it worked for me to region swap completely the vWii (Not just the video and game setting BUT the whole nand as well as the lanugage). And now I can boot Wii VC titles on the Wii U menu without showing the games in Japanese (Even if the game is USA region). I may be unprofessional for the vWii part but whatever happens I can just restore the original nand I backed up right (Especially since I can restore it from the Wii U side)? Either way, I just wanted to share this piece of info to everyone.
I am somehow stuck in minute menu, no automenu is executed and no aroma either.
also the CMD python does not find it although I have downloaded it.

RicecerHD

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What do you mean? Can you show what does your screen look like?
now i am in the boot selector screen and somehow CMD says python not exist , but i have install it already, using the cd dowload path

now i am in the boot selector screen and somehow CMD says python not exist , but i have install it already, using the cd dowload path
sorry i mean python can not be found

Lazr1026

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive just updated the guide on where to get support, because I am not very active here.

HI i'm a newbie at modding my wii u and I have zero clue what to do at step 2 to 11 of fixing the sysprod or whatever.
I am in the process of trying to get those errors to not happen anymore. If you can wait a little bit, I may have a build that should patch out any "access" checks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol