Tutorial  Updated

ReiNX Installation and Use

WE'RE CLOSED AGAIN, GO TO REINX.GUIDE

DZo7ejK.png

ReiNX: It just works.
So, you want to install ReiNX?

Good, you probably should. Now that it has working sigpatches, ReiNX is the most effective free CFW on the market right now! But you're gonna need to get into the thing, so that's where this helpful guide comes into play. You'll need a few things before we get started:

If you brick your Switch somehow- which would be impressive, honestly- I'm not responsible for that. If you follow these instructions to the letter, you'll have a working and more importantly sexy custom firmware on your system that will suit all your legal needs!
Installing NSP files is going to get you banned. This is only for people who are indifferent about being banned or have been banned already. You were warned.

• A Nintendo Switch console
  • An SD Card that's been formatted to be used by your Nintendo Switch
  • A USB C to USB A cable
  • Some way to get into RCM mode, please consult this comprehensive list of ways to enter RCM mode.
  • The sheer willpower and hype to take your console to the next stratosphere!
Now that you have all the hardware, you'll need some software, too.
There's a file called Darth Meteos' Super Special SD Stash v5.0.zip, that has sigpatches in it to allow you to run NSP backups. Please grab it here. The zip file has everything you need for the installation ahead. It also contains the following homebrew:​
  • Tinfoil (to install NSP files)
  • Retroarch (all the best emulators)
  • FTPD (for moving files between your PC and your Switch)
  • NX-Shell (a basic file manager)
  • EdiZon (for backing up/restoring/editing savegames)
  • The Homebrew App-Store (for getting even more homebrew)
The zip file will also contain a bin payload to boot the CFW. However, if you've never connected your Switch to a computer, you'll need to do a couple of things first, to get the drivers playing fair. This guide is assuming that you've already done that, but if you're brand new to the scene- welcome, by the way- you'll need to do some one-time setup.​

You'll need these things:
  1. Once you've got those, connect your Switch in RCM mode to your computer. Windows will recognize an APX device. This is good!
  2. Run Zadig with admin privileges. On the dropdown menu, find APX. That's your Switch!
  3. Next to a green arrow, there will be a series of driver types that you can cycle through. Choose libusbK (v3.0.7.0), and do it carefully, because this is the most important step.
  4. Click the big button. Congratulations, your Switch is now ready to run payloads!
  5. Extract the folder from the TegraRcmGUI_vX.X_portable.zip that you downloaded, (with X.X being the version, mine is 2.1) and open TegraRCMGUI.
  6. To run payloads, simply click the folder icon and browse to the testpayload.bin and inject the payload. Congratulations on running your first payload!
This only works on Windows, because that's what I have. Mac users, check elsewhere.
Now, for the main installation.
  1. Power off your Switch and connect your Switch's SD Card to a computer of your choice.
  2. Extract the contents of the zip file you downloaded. There'll be a bin file, an SD Files folder, as well as a little readme with more information. Check the spoilered text for what it should look like:
    CFYHDkE.png
  3. Go into the SD Files folder and drag the contents onto the root of your SD Card. Overwrite everything.
    NOTE: If you don't know your firmware, you can find it in the system settings menu. The latest (as of this writing) is 5.1.0.
  4. If your card was empty except for the Nintendo folder beforehand, you should have a layout like the one in the spoiler:
    ktbVCD0.png
  5. Now that the SD Card is set up, please return it to your Nintendo Switch and enter into RCM mode through the method of your choice.
  6. Using TegraRCMGUI, inject the ReiNX.bin Payload from the Stash package to get into your Switch.
  7. After the splash screen vanishes and you see the Nintendo Switch logo, you can disconnect the Switch from your computer. You're in!
Accessing the homebrew menu is easy, just open the album! Inside will be the Tinfoil NSP installer and the Homebrew App Store, which in turn has basically everything you could ever want. Keep an eye on the 'Temp, though, for future updates~

When inside the homebrew menu, you can use Tinfoil to install nsp files, by placing them into the /tinfoil/nsp/ folder on your SD Card. All homebrew goes into the /switch/ folder.

IF YOU NEED NOGC, PLEASE MAKE A FILE CALLED NOGC IN THE REINX FOLDER
READ THE FUCKIN' F.A.Q BEFORE POSTING, IF YOUR QUESTION IS ANSWERED IN THE F.A.Q, IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED OUTSIDE OF A SNIDE REMARK, POSSIBLY

Thank you so much for making the choice to use ReiNX!
ljgCB0x.png

Last edited by Darth Meteos,

Brenza

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, nice tutorial. Thank you very much!

Can i suggest to edit this part
5. Now that the SD Card is set up, please return it to your Nintendo Switch and enter into RCM mode through the method of your choice.
6. Using TegraRCMGUI, inject the ReiNX.bin Payload from the Stash package to get into your Switch.

I think it not very clear that you must insert the memory card back into the switch and then inject the payload from another folder on the pc.
By the way is it normal it takes 20 minutes to inject the payload? I don't dare to touch it...

upload_2018-8-16_2-9-26.png

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
wroiters.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Philippines
Is it possible to have running backup games when installing on both NAND and SD storage via Tinfoil?

So, basically, my 128Gb micro-SDXC is almost already full still have lots of space in the NAND. All my installations on SD storage seem to work just fine. But I'm having an issue making a backup ROM work when installed in NAND, alongside my other installed games from the SD Storage.

Anyone?

larcrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
anyone experience with "The Software as closed because an error occured" after update to 4, i forgot what DMS version before

i cant load any game, even my game cartridge

Last edited by larcrider,

afra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
anyone experience with "The Software as closed because an error occured" after update to 4, i forgot what DMS version before

i cant load any game, even my game cartridge

I saw this issue on my friend system while he were playing Dock mode

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Screen goes black and ...

rooaahh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
I am getting .cnmt.nca is corrupt You may have a bad dump or fs_mitm may need to be removed Error code:0x00236e02 in Tinfoil with some nsp files.I am on 3.0.2 .Any ideas?Using 4.0.1 package and fs_mitm is already removed here.

Last edited by rooaahh,

juster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I inject the ReiNX payload with TegraRCMGUI the anime image appears but then the screen goes black and the Nintendo Switch logo does not appear. It seems the console remains turned on because it is hot but does not respond to anything. Just pressing the power button several seconds recover it.
Current firmware is 2.3 and I have tried with two different SD cards, one in FAT32 and another one (brand new) in exFAT.
Any idea? Thanks.

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
wroiters.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Philippines
When I inject the ReiNX payload with TegraRCMGUI the anime image appears but then the screen goes black and the Nintendo Switch logo does not appear. It seems the console remains turned on because it is hot but does not respond to anything. Just pressing the power button several seconds recover it.
Current firmware is 2.3 and I have tried with two different SD cards, one in FAT32 and another one (brand new) in exFAT.
Any idea? Thanks.
Works just fine for me on 5.1.0. Why not make the update via ChoiDujourNX?

juster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works just fine for me on 5.1.0. Why not make the update via ChoiDujourNX?
That's precisely what I want to do: From 2.3.0 -> ReiNX -> ChoiDujourNX -> 5.10.
I wanted to use ReiNX for launching ChoiDujourNX because it has built-in GC update protection, afaik

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
wroiters.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Philippines
Last edited by Dothackjhe,

opmas

Trophies
XP
Country
Run Zadig with admin privileges. On the dropdown menu, find APX. That's your Switch!

Computer detected the apx but it does not show on zadig.

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey FahQ, for the sake of closure I thought you'd like to know that I was able to run Tinfoil using stash v4.0 and after running the "unset archive bit <switch folder> function in the Tools menu of hekate - CTCaer mod v3.2 payload. This is the second time I've had to run this, the first time was when homeBrewMenu would not even see anything in the switch folder.
Interesting... I've already had to do that too but will give it a go again and see if anything changes. Will report back.

Edit: using the unset archive bit with hekate did not work however I booted up my windows partition and did it there and got it running. :D

Last edited by FahQ,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems CFW cannot read game carts. That's the first thing I observed the first time I ran ReiNX on my Switch.

Alright. thank for the info. I do not need to worry about it anymore :)
There's a patch called nogc which prevents the cartridge slot from working on firmwares 4.0 and above. This is included because some users have updated from a firmware below 4.0 to one above 4.0 without burning fuses. What this means is that they are using RCM to run a higher firmware than the console should support so that they can return to their original firmware in case another exploit is released. There's chance that one of these exploits would require the gamecart slot to be intact so it is intentionally broken to prevent it from being updated so it will work on firmwares below 4.0. If this doesn't apply/interest you, simply delete the nogc file.

Reactions: opmas

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any idea? Thanks.

What version of the files are you using? are you using the latest payload? have you removed fs_mitm.kip from the sd:\reinx\sysmodules?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry, idk what you mean by a space cake, and even if i did, i'm not really taking requests right now, because otherwise people will get mad at me for taking a request but not making a birthday cake for @Xdqwerty (i'm sorry for that btw bro)
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan lies, you just want to smoke it

:rofl2:
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi: +2