ReiNX toolkit released

IMG_1067.PNG

ReiNX developer @Reisyukaku has released a new toolkit for their Nintendo Switch CFW. This toolkit allows for updating an installation of ReiNX custom firmware from within the toolkit, a first for any existing CFW. As far as features go, users will be able to dump their NAND, Cal0, Boot0, and Boot1 through this, as well as a built in AutoRCM toggle option. A major inclusion is that of a Splash.bin converter, which supports .png, .bmp, and .jpeg. You can grab the toolkit from the source below and check it out for yourself.

:download: Source
:discuss: Discussion Thread

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes it even more of a shame then. All well, glad to hear it’s been tested enough and deemed stable enough to see an official release!

Why does it make it a shame?

Someone else takes credit for someone else's work, hardly anything new for any scene.

D

Deleted User

@Reisyukaku How safe is it exactly to dump NAND from the Switch OS itself? Since the system has cached data and whatnot still not written to the eMMC, how exactly can you guarantee that the dump is 100% valid?

And since you mention that exFAT corruption also is possible, I am really wondering if the 20 minute improvement is worth the 'uncertainty' about creating valid dumps

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
@Reisyukaku How safe is it exactly to dump NAND from the Switch OS itself? Since the system has cached data and whatnot still not written to the eMMC, how exactly can you guarantee that the dump is 100% valid?

And since you mention that exFAT corruption also is possible, I am really wondering if the 20 minute improvement is worth the 'uncertainty' about creating valid dumps
Its obviously not the cleanest dump because of said cache, but its been tested rigorously by @Crusatyr . Restoring it works. It also dumps in ~2GB segments so not to get any mismatch data due to system partition cache.. it gets the partition in one go. This also protects it if the dump is interrupted prematurely. The progress file it creates will figure out where it left off (which file has been completed last) and continue.

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the answer. But what does the 2GB size segment matter? If the eMMC data has not been written yet and the data is present only in the FAT cache, dumping with any segment size will not see the cached FAT data.
This could result in a collapsed FAT table, which is catastrophic. (For example, half of the FAT table is written, half is cached)

While it might not have occurred in the testing done by Crustyr, this does not mean it is really safe. It just means it did not occur yet.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: SaffronXL

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the answer. But what does the 2GB size segment matter? If the eMMC data has not been written yet and the data is present only in the FAT cache, dumping with any segment size will not see the cached FAT data.
This could result in a collapsed FAT table, which is catastrophic. (For example, half of the FAT table is written, half is cached)

While it might not have occurred in the testing done by Crustyr, this does not mean it is really safe. It just means it did not occur yet.

I can guarantee you they have been working on this and testing this for several weeks now and to quote @Crusatyr himself, he has done over 100 dumps with it

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I dont actually mind it having a feat the same as others.
This is what we call Choices. Having more is better than being monopolized by one.

If youre buying a graphics card, i would like and love to see alternatives from other manufacturers.

People has this twisted state of mind. Stop calling it as oh another hekate. Or oh so basically ripped from SwitchOSX

Last edited by chirogan,
Reactions: Reisyukaku

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys should decide what you want. More homebrew on portal or not?
if there's no homebrew release on portal, people are whining that only SX OS is advertised, if we put homebrew on portal you are still not happy.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm very happy with it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I understand that much, and I'm not knocking it (although I am curious about it being 'faster' than Hekate's dumping; with a lack of source code there's no way to know if it's just because it's skipping out on integrity checks, etc.). I'm just saying that it's certainly less useful for a user doing their initial NAND dump - both because there's a possibility of logs in your NAND that you've been using RCM or booting CFW since you have to boot into Horizon to access it, and because of the apparent possibility of corrupting the SD card while using it.
I've talked to one if the devs, it actually has more access to the hardware, so it can dump in 20 min, that's down from an hr and 15 min, and if anything verification is faster then writeing....

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice update :-)

Will my FS.kip1 (exFAT driver) still work? I used to load it via Hekate but the guide doesn't mention it. I'm wondering if ReiNX will load the my kip1 by default.

Last edited by 2manyGames2play,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm very happy with it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've talked to one if the devs, it actually has more access to the hardware, so it can dump in 20 min, that's down from an hr and 15 min, and if anything verification is faster then writeing....

I can confirm this. It dumps quicker due to full access to the cpu and the system does the verifcation

Nice update :-)

Will my FS.kip1 (exFAT driver) still work? I used to load it via Hekate but the guide doesn't it. I'm wondering if ReiNX will load the my kip1 by default.

what firmware are you on? also reinx supports .kip not .kip1 from everything I've seen

Last edited by Adran_Marit,

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
okay, you should be able to boot with the newest release of reinx with fs.kip
None of the ReiNX releases that i've used, (nor 1.6) have a fs.kip included.

Unless you're saying that i can load my fs.kip1 from ReiNX, but i don't know how i would do this without my Switch recognizing the exFAT MicroSD.

Last edited by 2manyGames2play,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
None of the ReiNX releases that i've used, (nor 1.6) have a fs.kip included.

they were included with the old meteos stash. you can generate it yourself using choidujour or get it from the old stash I previously mentioned.... you might also just be able to copy and rename the one you currently have

Reactions: 2manyGames2play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow