Hacking [Rel] Improved (hopefully) NTR streamer for N3DS (XL/LL)

zbash92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use Luma's force connection to a specific (slot A B C) APN.

Thank you @zbash92 this is working great for me on windows (kitkatslim) and linux (cutentr). btw I tested using latest ntrview for Wii U but flickers and lags a lot while playing.

From my experience Luma3DS' force connection doesn't work after you've been disconnected by the NFC patch, can't start new remote play session after that either. Generally need to enable NFC patch before starting a game.

I don't have Wii U to try ntrview sorry, but maybe you could try starting remote play after a game has started, setting it to one screen only, or lowering QoS value (say down to 5). Flickers usually happens with packet drops and lag is probably because of too many frames being sent in the queue. I've similar issues with UWPStreamer basically, albeit on Windows.

Reactions: zerofalcon

flanter21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey @zbash92, I'm here to bring another test report. I do want to preface this by saying that I think ntr-hr is essentially feature complete as is and doesn't really need any more changes so if you want to head out now and stop working on it, I think no one could possibly argue with that.

With that said, I did keep on trying to test edge cases so hopefully having a reference of any peculiarities could be helpful in future if there is any tackling of them. I realised I hadn't tested any n3ds enhanced games or n3ds exclusive games so that's why I decided to check again because the others I tested have no issues now at all.
  1. Would it be possible to implement a save feature for the plugin loader settings and the core count option. The reason I say this, is because there definitely seems to be some kind of throttling around 32-35c which seems to be about 30 minutes of gameplay, but it can be easily resolved by reducing core count. It would be nice to not have to manually set core count to 2 every time you start streaming or whenever it does start to drop frames more often.
  2. This is the nitpickiest of nitpicks, but on testing the new "previous frame" option, there is actualy still a tiny bit of flickering in specific situations. It is very difficult to replicate actually and I noted in testing that it seems to go completely when in pixel perfect mode. I verified this in chokistream and kitkatslim.

3. This isn't an issue, but I noticed when in the overworld of kirby triple deluxe there is no issue wth the frameskip unlike in the levels where the bottom screen remains at high fps. Kirby triple deluxe also freezes when you go into ntr menu sometimes.
  4. Opening the menu seems to cause the zl,zr and the c-stick to stop responding in that game. This issue does not occur when opening the luma menu.
    1. Codename steam says cpp disconnected. However, there seems to be no issues with any other performance such as the fastforward feature (it is faster on n3ds).
    2. Hyrule Warriors Legends and Xenoblade 3d also disable the cpp if you go into the ntr menu.
    3. Silver falls 3 Down Stars does not disable cpp features after opening the ntr menu.
  5. Silver falls 3 Down Stars (n3ds exclusive) works perfectly. No issues whatsoever. No performance issues or anything. Daedalusx64 also runs very well with a consistent 30fps in games like mario party on any settings.
  6. Xenoblade 3d surprisingly actually works very well too with a minor issue that the audio has staticky buzzes in it.
    1. I do note however, if you put capture frame to previous, the audio will stutter a lot, chokistream will display fps around 60 (when its a 30 fps game) and the game will slow down a lot.
    2. A core count of 2 or 3 works very well, but one core seems to cause the game to lag as well. I tried changing audio to stereo because that sometimes fixes the staticky sound but it didn't seem to do so this time.
  7. I'm not sure if you've done something but it seems to me that the chokistream bottom screen issue seems to happen a lot less frequently now, especially if you put priority on bottom screen.
  8. as for low fps in home menu sometimes i get that too but it always resolves either after moving around it for a bit or opening a game.

Pixelise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Really now considering buying a New 3DS for this alone! But one question. Does it also allows to stream DS and GBA games?

pistonfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's a shame. Maybe something in the future could be done with DS
The problem is, that the 3DS reboots into another mode to play DS and GBA games. That's also the reason why the menu that opens when using the home button is different when playing DS/GBA games. After rebooting into DS/GBA mode, NTR is not loaded anymore and thus it can't stream in the background.

zbash92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey @zbash92, I'm here to bring another test report. I do want to preface this by saying that I think ntr-hr is essentially feature complete as is and doesn't really need any more changes so if you want to head out now and stop working on it, I think no one could possibly argue with that.

With that said, I did keep on trying to test edge cases so hopefully having a reference of any peculiarities could be helpful in future if there is any tackling of them. I realised I hadn't tested any n3ds enhanced games or n3ds exclusive games so that's why I decided to check again because the others I tested have no issues now at all.
  1. Would it be possible to implement a save feature for the plugin loader settings and the core count option. The reason I say this, is because there definitely seems to be some kind of throttling around 32-35c which seems to be about 30 minutes of gameplay, but it can be easily resolved by reducing core count. It would be nice to not have to manually set core count to 2 every time you start streaming or whenever it does start to drop frames more often.
  2. This is the nitpickiest of nitpicks, but on testing the new "previous frame" option, there is actualy still a tiny bit of flickering in specific situations. It is very difficult to replicate actually and I noted in testing that it seems to go completely when in pixel perfect mode. I verified this in chokistream and kitkatslim.

1. View attachment 415715
  3. This isn't an issue, but I noticed when in the overworld of kirby triple deluxe there is no issue wth the frameskip unlike in the levels where the bottom screen remains at high fps. Kirby triple deluxe also freezes when you go into ntr menu sometimes.
  4. Opening the menu seems to cause the zl,zr and the c-stick to stop responding in that game. This issue does not occur when opening the luma menu.
    1. Codename steam says cpp disconnected. However, there seems to be no issues with any other performance such as the fastforward feature (it is faster on n3ds).
    2. Hyrule Warriors Legends and Xenoblade 3d also disable the cpp if you go into the ntr menu.
    3. Silver falls 3 Down Stars does not disable cpp features after opening the ntr menu.
  5. Silver falls 3 Down Stars (n3ds exclusive) works perfectly. No issues whatsoever. No performance issues or anything. Daedalusx64 also runs very well with a consistent 30fps in games like mario party on any settings.
  6. Xenoblade 3d surprisingly actually works very well too with a minor issue that the audio has staticky buzzes in it.
    1. I do note however, if you put capture frame to previous, the audio will stutter a lot, chokistream will display fps around 60 (when its a 30 fps game) and the game will slow down a lot.
    2. A core count of 2 or 3 works very well, but one core seems to cause the game to lag as well. I tried changing audio to stereo because that sometimes fixes the staticky sound but it didn't seem to do so this time.
  7. I'm not sure if you've done something but it seems to me that the chokistream bottom screen issue seems to happen a lot less frequently now, especially if you put priority on bottom screen.
  8. as for low fps in home menu sometimes i get that too but it always resolves either after moving around it for a bit or opening a game.
1. for future versions maybe (I've added another option to work around audio crackling so this is kinda needed with so many options to adjust)

2. I've added a bunch of code from the current libctru to wait for vblank right before screen capture. Should no longer tear. (stick to "Current", "Previous" is borked still)

3. Don't know why..

4. Should no longer be an issue. Now pauses the game using Luma3DS functions when the menu is opened.

5. Not sure about Daedalusx64. Some games flat out won't load when NTR is running (same in 3.6.1 as well).

6. Try the Encoder Priority option, crank the nice value to max to avoid game sound crackling.

7. I've fixed some synchronization bugs in previous releases, there seems to be some bug still if it still happens rarely.

8. Shouldn't be as low as 3 fps though lol.

P.S. very detailed report, thanks so much!

flanter21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tested the new build and there are some good changes and some bad changes.
  1. I get "rpconfiglock timed out" after changing settings in remote play menu several times and then the stream will not reconnect until powered off.
  2. I was initially having significantly worse fps and more stuttering through many power cycles until eventually it started working like before. Not sure what happened there. Still comes back sometimes and sometimes it feels like fps is significantly worse than before the priority change release.
    1. Maybe add a threadpriority=auto or old behaviour toggle (or is that what the default is idk).
    2. I've went back to the previous version before the change to make sure and it seems triforce heroes works better there.
  3. Xenoblade chronicles 3d audio is fixed after changing priority value and will stream at full 30fps on both screens!
  4. Can't replicate any screen tearing!
  5. Could you add some kind of scroll indicator on the remoteplay menu because now the NFC patch is on a separate page.
  6. Kirby triple deluxe menu has very low fps for some reason (3-20fps). This is in the previous version too.
  7. When entering and exiting a level in kirby triple deluxe the bottom screen becomes dark until the bottom screen changes again. This is in the previous version too.
  8. In kirby triple deluxe sometimes opening the ntr menu or rosalina menu causes freezing but this seems to be luma issue (see https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/issues/1483).
  9. Oddly enough the bottom screen glitching is happening a lot now, like significantly more than it ever did before.

zbash92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Flanter

Thanks again for the report!

1. Not sure why it happens. I've updated the synchronization code so there's less delay when changing remote play settings. Maybe that will help.

2. Not sure why, I still get 60/60 top/bottom on home menu with default settings.

3-4. Good to know!

5. Maybe I'll remove Capture Which Frames options, it's not doing much now.

6. Do you mean just the bottom screen having low fps? The vsync change to avoid tearing limits the non-priority screen to a fraction of 60 fps. Assuming this is the problem, you can change priority factor to 1 to make both screen run at high fps again.

There's also Remote Play Boost in the Plugin Loader menu if you are not using CTRPF plugins. It'll give non-priority screen higher frame rate as well.

7-8. Not sure...

9. Is it just Chokistream? which version are you using? I don't really notice it with 2.0.1...

flanter21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Flanter

Thanks again for the report!

1. Not sure why it happens. I've updated the synchronization code so there's less delay when changing remote play settings. Maybe that will help.

2. Not sure why, I still get 60/60 top/bottom on home menu with default settings.

3-4. Good to know!

5. Maybe I'll remove Capture Which Frames options, it's not doing much now.

6. Do you mean just the bottom screen having low fps? The vsync change to avoid tearing limits the non-priority screen to a fraction of 60 fps. Assuming this is the problem, you can change priority factor to 1 to make both screen run at high fps again.

There's also Remote Play Boost in the Plugin Loader menu if you are not using CTRPF plugins. It'll give non-priority screen higher frame rate as well.

7-8. Not sure...

9. Is it just Chokistream? which version are you using? I don't really notice it with 2.0.1...
6. No actually. It's both screens and priority factor is 1.
9. Its just chokistream. I'm using v2.0.1. kitkatslim doesn't have the issue.

zbash92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Flanter Can you upload a video of the menu screen lagging in viewer for Kirby?

And if possible can you capture the bottom screen glitching in Chokistream as well? Just so I know what these issues look like..

Edit:

Didn't realize I didn't have the issue page open on github: https://github.com/xzn/ntr-hr/issues

Maybe we can take the discussion there to avoid spamming this thread lmao.

u93132

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hi I'm here again. I didn't read others' posts one by one, so I'm not sure if anyone already raises the issue.

I have my USUM freeze again after a soft reset, and this sometimes seems highly repeatable. I also found I'm able to call the X+Y menu after frozen. When I call the X+Y menu and apply settings in "Remote Play", it says cannot connect to the socket.

Therefore, I guess the freeze relates to the socket error?

I didn't call the Luma3Ds input redirection function, so I'm pretty sure this issue comes from NTR.

zbash92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@u93132
Are you using plugins by any chance (either plg or 3gx ones) for USUM? If not then I don't really know what might be causing the issue for now, sorry.

Generally for games like USUM, the steps are:

Enable NFC patch
Start remote play
(Optional) go into NTR menu and disable plugin loader; enable remote play boost (which disables CTRPF compat)
Start game
Should be able to soft reset for no problem??

(In case you are not using any plugins, could you specify if only the stream freezes or the game itself freezes? Thanks!)

u93132

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I'm not using plugins.

I will try to do a camera recording if I meet this issue again.

Edit: I would say the game freezes, but the Luma3DS menu and NTR menu are still alive.

theninjagamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
When i use the upscalling filter it lags and on the cmd screen it show Vulkan driver failed to load
Post automatically merged:

When i use the upscalling filter it lags and on the cmd screen it show Vulkan driver failed to load
I'm seeing that all of you are you using KitKat stream and snickerstream , how can I change the ntr viewer for snickerstream and KitKat stream?

Last edited by theninjagamer,

flanter21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Flanter Can you upload a video of the menu screen lagging in viewer for Kirby?

And if possible can you capture the bottom screen glitching in Chokistream as well? Just so I know what these issues look like..

Edit:

Didn't realize I didn't have the issue page open on github: https://github.com/xzn/ntr-hr/issues

Maybe we can take the discussion there to avoid spamming this thread lmao.
Will try to do today. As for the issues, I'm perfectly happy with moving it to github.
Edit: could you open up discussions so we can talk about non-specific changes or issues without clogging up the actual issues tab.

Post automatically merged:

I'm seeing that all of you are you using KitKat stream and snickerstream , how can I change the ntr viewer for snickerstream and KitKat stream?
just download kitkatslim. You might need to let it through windows firewall though if you get a white screen. But its all the same as ntrhrviewer just put in the 3ds ip address and click connect. Change quality, priority factor, etc if you want. It's important to note that snickerstream will not let you change settings during a stream, but it does have more filters available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto