pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes I have wondered what it would be like to meet your ancestors.

But you know, it's strange to think about - but we are barely related to our ancestors at all. ~250 years or so after you are gone, you are less than 1% related to anyone on the planet - even including your own descendents. (Sure all humans share a lot of our DNA inherently, but I mean the DNA we don't have in common, the stuff that makes us look different and act different from other humans)

related.PNG

And then consider just how many ancestors you have. Just a few hundred years back and you are already into the thousands.

gens num.PNG

Almost makes you think if you're just trying to propagate yourself - it's not worth it to play the kids game. I guess unless you're Genghis Khan or something.

I wonder if groups like the amish ran this math a long time ago - and decided "okay time to make a small commune where our descendents will look and act like us forever"

If the world sticks around long enough - do you think the data we have today is gonna be around in a couple hundred years? Like, will my great great grandkids have digital photos of me and other ancestors on antiquated USB sticks hidden away in the attic?

How do you guys think big data might affect genealogy in the future. Imagine doing an ancestry test and it's like "Match to x65943 your great great uncle"

Another thing is the industrialized nations are almost universally experiencing demographic crisis - fertility rates are below replacement. Maybe future kids are gonna be made in labs a la Brave New World and we'll do away with this family stuff making this all irrelevant.

Last edited by x65943,

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I lowkey always like to think that somewhere in my ancestry, etc., etc.

More than a little off topic, but you just brought out the grumpy old man in me:

"Lowkey" and its (overly common) use as shown here is perhaps the dumbest slang word/expression I have heard in a long, long time... and I was around when "dank" was a thing.

Using the word "lowkey" when making a statement is self-refuting: No, what you're doing is not "lowkey" because 1) you are publicly announcing that you do it, and 2) drawing extra attention to it by telling people that it's meant to be "lowkey".

Wtf - y'all some weird mfers

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Using the word "lowkey" when making a statement is self-refuting: No, what you're doing is not "lowkey" because 1) you are publicly announcing that you do it, and 2) drawing extra attention to it by telling people that it's meant to be "lowkey".

Wtf - y'all some weird mfers
Casual/slang english vernacular has always been weird. From kids making the word "yeet" mean anything, to most people saying something that's even more of a fail than lowkey..." I could care less". Sometimes, slang is stupid. Sometimes those stupid things are still fun to say. It just be dank that way sometimes, dawg. Lol.

Reactions: relauby and x65943

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wandering around the world I do wonder if family trees in some places are an exercise in recursion.

That said it sounds like ideas are a better plan. They can pop back up making things interesting for centuries if you get a good, or "good", one.
Failing that where is my mind uploading device or AI I can seed?

It just be dank that way sometimes, dawg.
Careful with that one if you ever get arrested

Deleted member 507653

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot to include the part where science makes us live forever. Then it all becomes irrelevant.

No one gets to have kids unless they kill themselves right after c:

Reactions: x65943

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
isnt like 99% of Asia related to Genghis Khan?

Genghis Khan puts a big flaw in theory.

edit: also it says you 1990. son 2020. so in theory i should had a son two years ago.

no wonder my imaginary wife is pissed with me.

ok4kt283wxl21.jpg

Last edited by Flame,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog: