Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-decryption-key-generator.370630/
this is Team Fail`s release, that gets you the keys
apparently this new release in this thread here gets you the xorpad file (whether or not it uses Team Fail`s code or was written before that, I do not know...) / follow the instruction to acquire it, you still need a 4.5 3DS/XL to actually launch this release
and apparently XOR Tool can decrypt it and ctrtool extracts it...
is it usable to the average user? uhm no, I guess?
but it might just be the first real BIG step into fan translation apparently, since it enables rom decryption

still waiting for some big name to give his statement on this, but It looks realy promising :-)

it does say audio dumps ... omg mk7 rainbow road no kart sound :D

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds promising, but I don't have Gateway... Sorry.

Re-read the tutorial. You don't need GW.

"If not using Gateway, place Launcher_NoGW.dat..."

This basically just reads the AES key from the ROM, saves it as a bin, then loads it when the 3DS is running and feeds it to the 3DS's AES engine (which scrambles the keys) in order to generate the decryption XOR data.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
not sure this kind of stuff will be working in ssspwn.....but who knows

yeh I edited my post, I think, the level of access, which SSSpwn provides, may just not be deep enough, it basically hit me right after posting it... the OT might give us insight on that matter though

edit: basically, do we need kernel access for this or is userland enough?

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well if userland was enough....they could run some homebrew in gateway mode and be able to get the XOR pads for 7.x encrypted content.....or just wait for ssspwn, but that kinda makes me think userland is not enough

D

Deleted User

Is this the last step for finally hacking .3ds or just getting the keys? 3DSexplorer to extract then XOR-Tool to decrypt then ctr to decrypted files. So does this mean anyone can do this?? http://puu.sh/baAIj/ec0b7f0050.png

If so, I'm getting a 3ds.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeh I edited my post, I think, the level of access, which SSSpwn provides, may just not be deep enough, it basically hit me right after posting it... the OT might give us insight on that matter though

edit: basically, do we need kernel access for this or is userland enough?

No, Smea's work will not give you access to the CPU you need to run decryption.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is this the last step for finally hacking .3ds or just getting the keys? 3DSexplorer to extract then XOR-Tool to decrypt then ctr to decrypted files. So does this mean anyone can do this??

anyone with a 4.5 DS/XL and not the final step to hacking the 3DS but to encrypting the ROMS, meaning, that fans can do translations
however, there hasn`t been a statement yet on ENCRYPTING them again, so we can actually use the changed roms

edit:
No, Smea's work will not give you access to the CPU you need to run decryption.

that was not my question, re-read it again

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
After looking at the files, I think the nfo means the gateway rop loader, not a gateway cart itself. Looks like launcher.dat is encrypted for the gateway loader, and launcher_nogw.dat has no encryption.

Neat, time to test it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for including the sources (as it's based on other open sources scripts, it's normal, but there's even few more examples included).
I don't know who sbJFn5r is, never seen him before.

There even a MsetForBoss.dat :lol:
Snailface gave the trick to use that name instead of launcher.dat :P
edit: looks like it was first introduced by wintermute's ROP Loader.

spf180: it means you can decrypt and extract files from ROMs.
not really the "last step", as you would need to re-encrypt it to make anything with it (repack/translation/hack,etc.)
edit: :ninja:'d

D

Deleted User

.... however, there hasn`t been a statement yet on ENCRYPTING them again, so we can actually use the changed roms ....
Couldn't you modify the source of Team Fail and VOiD's program to encrypt them again?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
hope so, would make it easier, but are you sure VC encryption and 3DS ROM encryption is handled the same way? I would doubt it just by instict, because that would be so unreasonably stupid ... :/
3ds encryption is the same for 3ds roms/VC......bbb used the zerokey encryption that gateway enabled to allow homebrew to re-encrypt the edited VC titles

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to encrypt, you need the private key, only Nintendo has it. It's not encrypted using the private key, but the XOR key. Might be able to re-encrypt the data using that same key.
But if Gateway allow running games with a zero'd key, then that will work too.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So didn't we get a while ago when someone was contemplating starting a 3DS emulator the argument "yah n00b dah romz ares encriptid and y00 needz dah hardware keyscrambler"?

It would seem to me that removing any dependency on actual hardware brings emulation a (tiny) step closer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: You don't mess with the zohan!!! +1