Homebrew [Release] NeoPop SDL - Neogeo Pocket emulator

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
To test the emulator put a rom image in the 3ds SD in the folder roms/neogeopocket, and rename the rom in rom.ngc.

Image file?

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
V0.2 (cia) crash if SD://roms/neogeopocket/ is empty

Thanks, I'll check it. Anyway, with no roms in the folder it makes no sense running the emulator :)

To test the emulator put a rom image in the 3ds SD in the folder roms/neogeopocket, and rename the rom in rom.ngc.

Image file?

This is for v0.1. with v0.2 no need to rename the rom name. About last question, can't understand it.

Also what roms are working?

Check it yourself :)

I only compiled the emulator, I'm not working on the core, so try to search online a Neopop SDL compatibility list.

The screenshot in the OP are from games working. Some other starts but after the intro screen reboot. Compatibility rate seems to be about 50%.

Last edited by nop90,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Released v0.3 with a basic menu to change loader ROM, reset the system, load/save the state (single slot) and change basic options (Frameskip, Fullscreen, Mute).

The keys that change frameskip and Toggle Fullscreen are not disabled by now, but I'll remap it later.

Missing things are: saving options, loading them at startup and adding some other things to the menu, like taking screenshot.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tried v0.3 with Sonic Pocket Adventure, it ran very slow at the Sega logo. Crashed after a few seconds. (accessed through New 3DS+HBL)

That rom works fine for me, but there is a memory leak changing a rom that can crash the emulator, so it wasn't the first rom loaded after starting the emulator, the cause is this.

It's already fixed on my local version.

For the slow speed, it's normal, 3ds HW can't run piortable versions of the emulators at a good speed, only with a lot of customizations and optimizations to use 3ds low level API is possible to achieve something good.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Released a new version with full menu. The emulator is completed but I'd like to make it run faster tweaking the core,

I could modify the core emulator to render in the internal framebuffer in RGB565 instead of RGB444 and use directly the SDL screen buffer as core framebuffer, This will save a lot of CPU power.

Another improvement would be doing the same with the audio buffer, a little more difficult but not impossible.

Let see if this will make the emulator run full speed at least on the N3ds.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OH MY GOD WAS ABOUT TIME. :grog:

Also only run the games in color? or also can run the games in black and white like the first model of NeoGeo Pocket?

You can run them in B/W if the cart is compatible, or you'll have a warning (in B/W :lol:) that the cart can't run on the old model, like on real HW.

In Auto mode the system will switch from B/W to color if the rom is not supported by the B/W model.

Reactions: Braixen361uwu

Braixen361uwu

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can run them in B/W if the cart is compatible, or you'll have a warning (in B/W :lol:) that the cart can't run on the old model, like on real HW.

In Auto mode the system will switch from B/W to color if the rom is not supported by the B/W model.
Cool! so you can switch Color to B/W and viceversa? That's really cool!

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Released a new version with full menu. The emulator is completed but I'd like to make it run faster tweaking the core,

I could modify the core emulator to render in the internal framebuffer in RGB565 instead of RGB444 and use directly the SDL screen buffer as core framebuffer, This will save a lot of CPU power.

Another improvement would be doing the same with the audio buffer, a little more difficult but not impossible.

Let see if this will make the emulator run full speed at least on the N3ds.
Maybe you want to ask @bubble2k16 for speedhack's tricks, he have done a lot in o3DS emulation.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, here's what I have gathered. Even though this emulator is finished, it still suffers running the roms without frameskipping. If you skip a frame or more, it'll run at a decent speed. However, while the speed is decent, the emulation needs a fix. Running the Colored roms is fine but the Black and White roms gives off an ugly image. Sadly. one of my roms froze and I have tried downloading the same roms over. This emulator maybe finished, but it still have a few problems with the emulation and bugs. I kept getting kicked to the HOME Menu at times when I was configuring the emulator.

This emulator is very close to become the perfect NGPC emulator for this system. I guess there is something about the NGPC that the N3DS cannot emulate well on. For an 8-Bit system, it is pretty powerful than the Game Gear and the Game Boy Color, that's for sure. At least the Vita can run the roms very well. That is the best alternative you can go for now. At least it's on the go.

I give this emulator a 7/10 though. It does run a few games better than Retroarch's Mednafen NGP Libretro.

Fergamesy2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i tried to play the fighting games, but when i press a, it returns me to the selection screen, and i see in metal slug that when i press a to fire, it jumps too, so the problem is that if you press the a button, it recognizes like you pressed the b button too. its any way to fix it? i have an o3ds, i installed the .cia version, and i really want to play the kof games.

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is looking fantastic! I'm just wondering if it would be possible, or at least not a complete pain in the a$$, for this to run as a .nds file for R4 cards on NDS/L/i? The current emulator, while functional, is not quite as thorough. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Reactions: wariobar
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is looking fantastic! I'm just wondering if it would be possible, or at least not a complete pain in the a$$, for this to run as a .nds file for R4 cards on NDS/L/i? The current emulator, while functional, is not quite as thorough. Thanks for all of your hard work!
Try RetroArch using the Mednafen NeoPop core for *.ngc roms. I did a quick test play with Metal Slug - 1st Mission, SNK vs Capcom - The Match of the Millennium, and Sonic the Hedgehog - Pocket Adventure with no issues.

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you've linked to a 3DS-specific tool, yeah? My request is specific to the Nintendo DS, DS Lite, and DSi (NDS/L/i). Thanks for the quick response, though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Looks like you've linked to a 3DS-specific tool, yeah? My request is specific to the Nintendo DS, DS Lite, and DSi (NDS/L/i). Thanks for the quick response, though.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you've linked to a 3DS-specific tool, yeah? My request is specific to the Nintendo DS, DS Lite, and DSi (NDS/L/i). Thanks for the quick response, though.

In geometry, all squares are also rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

Your Nintendo DS(i) lite is that rectangle that's not a square. Anyway, welcome to the 3DS side of forum. :)

There was a NGP(C) emulator for the Nintendo DS called, RACE! DS.
A video clip of someone this on their R4 flashcart:

Another:

If you're in search of a 3DS system, check my signature or wait & see what goodies are in store for this year's Thanksgiving Black Friday.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, Mario Moonlight exists?