ROM Hack RELEASE [Release/Tutorial] Switch theme injector : Easily make custom themes

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now I have a new problem, this time with the windows aplication switch themes.exe, at nxtheme builder when click (build nxtheme) button, it pops up a window (named theme info) , but when I write the information that window doesn't have any button to accept or enter nor close so I can't finish the theme I got stuck, I only can close the window and click (build nxtheme) and so the same window pops up, and the web application doesn't allow to add .josn files, that is the reason I want to use the windows app.

Edit:
now I know the reason and I share it for the people with the same problem, SWITCH THEMES is not working well in windows 7 it has some graphical bugs and troubles with buttons. I tried in windows 10 it worked perfectly.
That's most likely because you have a different dpi value, try setting it to 100% in the settings.

Does anyone have an example json file with this:

Only for picture panes (pic1) :

• ColorTL : Top left vertex color
  • ColorTR : Top right vertex color
  • ColorBL : Bottom left vertex color
  • ColorBR : Bottom right vertex color these values must be an hexadecimal color string, for example "FFFFFF" is white
I've tried adding those values into my own json files, but can never get them to work - I end up having to patch files using webxosf - then injecting them into my szs files.
Idk if any layout use that, from my experience those values often crash, most of layout editing is undocumented.

Hey, i'm trying to do a custom theme but i'd like to delete the white line at the bottom of the screen, does anybody know what I have to delete to make it disapear?
Is there any spreadsheet with a file list in ResidentMenu and what they're for?
Nope, i think that the line is in common.szs, layouts for common are not supported yet, will be added with the update that i'm releasing later today.

MitsukiUchiwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nope, i think that the line is in common.szs, layouts for common are not supported yet, will be added with the update that i'm releasing later today.

Oh great thanks!

Btw I have this error when a try to install my theme (it worked previously but i made an update for the layout) : error while installing this theme : wrong magic!

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh great thanks!

Btw I have this error when a try to install my theme (it worked previously but i made an update for the layout) : error while installing this theme : wrong magic!
Weird, it happens only if the szs you're trying to install (or the one in systemData for nxthemes) or its bntx is corrupted, try dumping your files again.

Surfi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, is there any form to make this work on SX OS emunand? I got the 6.2.0 keys on a txt from a "max" forum, copied them to a txt file and rename it to "prod.keys" but when I hit "Extract home menu (+)" the Switch just gets and error and I have to reboot it. And if I use my "prod.keys" extracted with Lockpick on emunand I get the known "not found in lyt dir" error.

What can I do?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Hello, is there any form to make this work on SX OS emunand? I got the 6.2.0 keys on a txt from a "max" forum, copied them to a txt file and rename it to "prod.keys" but when I hit "Extract home menu (+)" the Switch just gets and error and I have to reboot it. And if I use my "prod.keys" extracted with Lockpick on emunand I get the known "not found in lyt dir" error.

What can I do?

Don't use lockpick with emunand, boot into your systemnand (CFW) and then use lockpick and it will extract the keys required.

Surfi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't use lockpick with emunand, boot into your systemnand (CFW) and then use lockpick and it will extract the keys required.

The problem is that my sysnand is on 5.1 and my emunand on 6.2. With lockpick on sysnand I would’t get the 6.2 firm keys neither.

Anyways, I finally got it working, I wrote down manually the keys missing on my prod.keys file and it worked. I just intalled my first theme and it looks amazing! This is one of the things that I like most from scene.

gimmedat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble getting this to work. I'm using the latest Kosmos with Atmosphere 8.2 and have my switch on 6.2. I have installed lockpick and the theme installer onto my switch. When following directions, I've created the themes folder and placed the theme I want to install into the folder (Reykja). I dumped my keys via lockpick and the installer allows me to extract the home menu, but when I go to select my theme to inject, atmosphere crashes. What am I doing wrong?

TWilliamson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get a crash every time I try to launch the app on my Switch. It crashes a second after is says 'Loading'.
I'm on firmware 6.1 Atmosphere.
Error Code: 2168-0002 (0x4a8).
EDIT: just realised the person above has exactly the same issue. I have also dumped keys using Lockpick.

Last edited by TWilliamson,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried the theme installer for the first time.
I'm still on Firmware v4.1

only the home screen, but it works.
though, it doesn't look good. the layout is a little out of place, and there are things out of display area. that's funny the 5.1/6.x layout looks bigger than the screen resolution on 4.1.

Anyway, it was very easy to get the needed szs files, no hactool on PC ! fantastic :D
even if quite useless on 4.1, it worked.

Last edited by Cyan,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I get a crash every time I try to launch the app on my Switch. It crashes a second after is says 'Loading'.
I'm on firmware 6.1 Atmosphere.
Error Code: 2168-0002 (0x4a8).
EDIT: just realised the person above has exactly the same issue. I have also dumped keys using Lockpick.
The user above had an issue caused by os x, do you use a mac as well?

I tried the theme installer for the first time.
I'm still on Firmware v4.1

only the home screen, but it works.
though, it doesn't look good. the layout is a little out of place, and there are things out of display area. that's funny the 5.1/6.x layout looks bigger than the screen resolution on 4.1.

Anyway, it was very easy to get the needed szs files, no hactool on PC ! fantastic :D
even if quite useless on 4.1, it worked.
Yeah finally the dumping process is easy, still some people manage to mess it up with sxos :/. About 4.1 idk, it's known that themes don't really work on there and cause crashes, I think nobody ever tested a custom layout on there before.

Last edited by exelix11,

TWilliamson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The user above had an issue caused by osx, do you use a mac as well?

Yes I do indeed use a Mac. However, every time I am in Hekate, I 'fix archive bit (except Nintendo folder)'. I thought this was meant to fix OSX issues but maybe not?
I did make a mistake, my crash is slightly different to the other user. Mine crashes straight after saying 'loading', it crashes before I see any UI.

I appreciate the reply

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes I do indeed use a Mac. However, every time I am in Hekate, I 'fix archive bit (except Nintendo folder)'. I thought this was meant to fix OSX issues but maybe not?
I did make a mistake, my crash is slightly different to the other user. Mine crashes straight after saying 'loading', it crashes before I see any UI.

I appreciate the reply
He had both crashes, at this point i'm pretty sure that mac is the issue unfortunately i can't test because i don't have any, check out this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-cant-figure-this-out-no-homebrew-showing-up.508678/#post-8085334 I sent it to the other guy as well but haven't heard back yet. To be safe also delete the themes folder on the sd card and do the dumping process again.

TWilliamson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He had both crashes, at this point i'm pretty sure that mac is the issue unfortunately i can't test because i don't have any, check out this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-cant-figure-this-out-no-homebrew-showing-up.508678/#post-8085334 I sent it to the other guy as well but haven't heard back yet. To be safe also delete the themes folder on the sd card and do the dumping process again.
Thank you, I will continue troubleshooting when I have the time. I will also dump the files using my PC if all else fails.
I'll update you soon!

hapse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on 6.2 and I want to create my own layout but for that I need the szs files but I can't find any information about how to get them off my Switch. I think I heard they can be found in the romfs? So should I extract them from a backup or??

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm on 6.2 and I want to create my own layout but for that I need the szs files but I can't find any information about how to get them off my Switch. I think I heard they can be found in the romfs? So should I extract them from a backup or??
Use the NXTheme installer homebrew and follow the guide to extract the home menu, when you're done the needed szs files will be in the themes/systemData folder on your sd

Reactions: hapse

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I was trying out dumping the home menu I put the prod.keys file into the prod.keys folder but when I go to dump the files it mentions asap residentmenu not found lyt dir? Do you know what the problem might be thanks. I’m dumping it via sxos cfw not emunand.

Last edited by Reecey,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was trying out dumping the home menu I put the prod.keys file into the prod.keys folder but when I go to dump the files it mentions asap residentmenu not found lyt dir? Do you know what the problem might be thanks. I’m dumping it via sxos cfw not emunand.
"I put the prod.keys file into the prod.keys" What do you mean ? If you got it from the internet just put it in the root of the sd. But as you don't use emunand you should follow the lockpick guide which will produce a working key file in the proper directory. I've seen a few key files on the internet which have missing keys and fail anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...