Not open for further replies.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't say this isn't? Do you mean "says this isn't?"

Either way, I'm excited about this as much as you are, but the graphics simply aren't as good as the 360. The graphics are great, and even look amazing in motion. I'd like to see the other RE game, since it's more puzzle oriented like the older games. I'll buy this version, but it seems to be action-oriented, which is less appealing to me.

Two of the screens you posted are concept art, and hopefully this picture below isn't an indication of how the textures will appear in the majority of the game.

Chainsaw guy with muddy textures

Scorpin200

Iceman
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
oh maybe typing error yeah i saw that as well but the rest is good, and the games aren't anywhere done although they look that good so far....2 player online co op banzai!! banzai!! banzai!!

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's good, but it sure and shit as good as the 360.

Look at the textures on Chris's pants, shirt, and arms.

The first pic looks like it's from an CGI cutscene.

I also hope this isn't just RE5.

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:

What do you mean? This has already been confirmed as a completely new addition to the series.

Screens are looking great. That Jill cap looks fantastic.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Daizu said:
Jiggah said:

What do you mean? This has already been confirmed as a completely new addition to the series.

I'm not sure. I haven't heard too much about it. Everything I've seen gives me the impression that it's RE5 with a more extensive multiplayer. It would be nice if this was an actual new re5 entry or something like re 5.5 which leads to 6.

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Daizu said:
Jiggah said:

I'm not sure. I haven't heard too much about it. Everything I've seen gives me the impression that it's RE5 with a more extensive multiplayer. It would be nice if this was an actual new re5 entry or something like re 5.5 which leads to 6.

It's graphically almost the same, if not better than Resident Evil 5. It just proves how powerful the 3DS really is. Not sure about its placement in the series, but I'm assuming it takes place after 5 or sometime before Lost in Nightmares.

Painguy

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Daizu said:
Jiggah said:
Daizu said:
Jiggah said:

It's graphically almost the same, if not better than Resident Evil 5. It just proves how powerful the 3DS really is. Not sure about its placement in the series, but I'm assuming it takes place after 5 or sometime before Lost in Nightmares.
i wouldnt got that far. alot of the things going on give the illusion of looking close to RE5,but one thing for sure is that teh poly count is MUCH lower aswell as teh texture resolution. shadow maps are also hard shadows from what i see & they are much lower rez.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Please, please, please,
don't mix cutscenes and concept art with real screenshots from the gameplay.
Thank you.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jiggah said:
I think you should differentiate between RE:Revelations and RE:Mercenaries!

Both games look graphically great for an handheld game (though Revelation does seem to look a little better than Mercenaries...)! IMO there is no need for a handheld game to look better than a 360 game... But I don`t mind it, if the gameplay is silky-smooth
tongue.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be a certain level of confusion in this topic. To set the record strait, the screens posted by the TC are actually a mix of two totally different games.

One is called Resident Evil Revelations. It's the one where Chris and Jill are on a huge ship and killing zombie-like creatures. Generally, the screens are very dark, so you can tell which these are. We also happen to know that it is a totally new game in the series, taking place between the events of RE4 and RE5 (that information was just revealed today). It takes the gameplay style of RE4/5, but mixes in the horror aspect that has been lost since the old games. This one is Revelations-

339_2.jpg

The other game is called Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D. You think it looks like RE5 for the simple reason that it is a remake of RE5's multiplayer mode. It shares some levels in common with that game. It's Capcom's attempt at making a multiplayer game. It will have online wifi co op with up to two players so we've been told. It has some new features that weren't in the original Mercenaries mode as well. This screen is from Mercenaries-

340_2.jpg

You'll find all the screens in their proper order (and quality) here-
http://www.gamekyo.com/groupnews_article16294.html

As a side note, it should be known that all of those screens shown in the link above are in game. No prerendered bullshit there, all real time. Capcom put to rest any doubt several months ago when they confirmed that the engine was running in real time on the 3DS and that the game would indeed look like that when you play it. There does seem to be a mix of concept art in those screens the TC posted, but judging by the rest of the screens, they're likely going to have justice done to them in game anyways. It has been noted that Mercenaries seems to look a bit worse than Revelations. I would have to conclude that this may be due to the engine needing to have more characters onscreen at one time. Past screens have shown a good amount of enemies being able to be rendered at once, as well as a partner to help you. Likely stressful, so they cut down on other effects. The game is online too, which could present a challenge with lag.

I'll also mention that while the 3DS is nowhere near the raw horsepower of the 360 or PS3, the reason the 3DS seems to look so great is due to the shaders. Under the hood, it's roughly similar of pushing geometry similar to that of the Gamecube (perhaps a little better). But the 3DS has some advanced lighting and shader techniques that only the 360, PS3, or modern PC's can pull off. You'll notice the character models look kind of blocky with jagged edges, but they have advanced lighting and bump mapping (among other details) that make them look similar to RE5. This give the 3DS a huge edge in terms of portable graphics.

Scorpin200

Iceman
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Resident evil for the 3ds is better than the 360 version period, and nobody said it had better horsepower than the 360 how could it as the 360's specs aren't really all that to begin with.....this game is only using about half of the 3ds's power anyway lol.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
granville said:
There seems to be a certain level of confusion in this topic. To set the record strait, the screens posted by the TC are actually a mix of two totally different games.

*snip
Damn! I wanted to say that already!

Scorpin200 said:
Resident evil for the 3ds is better than the 360 version period, and nobody said it had better horsepower than the 360 how could it as the 360's specs aren't really all that to begin with.....this game is only using about half of the 3ds's power anyway lol.
I agree.

QUOTE(DigitalDeviant @ Dec 10 2010, 12:50 AM)
smaller screens make graphics appear better, I don't think we can compare a handheld's screen to a console intended to be displayed on a large screen.
I must also admit that I agree with that.

Scorpin200

Iceman
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"There seems to be a certain level of confusion in this topic. To set the record strait, the screens posted by the TC are actually a mix of two totally different games."

This guy is the only one confused here i think, because everyone knows there are 2 different games being made by now. The main topic is the quality here especially on a Nintendo handheld, and the fact that these screens look this good blown up at the res there are....at what 20% done at the moment. I just hope this stuff doesn't give capcom a excuse to make rip off prices like they have for consoles.....lol like anyone in here gives a shit we will be pirating all these things soon enough
smile.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpin200 said:
"There seems to be a certain level of confusion in this topic. To set the record strait, the screens posted by the TC are actually a mix of two totally different games."

This guy is the only one confused here i think, because everyone knows there are 2 different games being made by now. The main topic is the quality here especially on a Nintendo handheld, and the fact that these screens look this good blown up at the res there are....at what 20% done at the moment. I just hope this stuff doesn't give capcom a excuse to make rip off prices like they have for consoles.....lol like anyone in here gives a shit we will be pirating all these things soon enough
smile.gif
I'm not confused in the slightest, you seem to be though since you didn't read the entire topic. If "everyone" knew the games were two separate ones, why have several people posted things that were completely false, including the topic creator? TC posted these screens not indicating that he knew these screens were of two separate games. And Jiggah said he thought the game was just a remake of RE5 (actually sounding like he also thought they were one single game). Daizu said the 3DS games look superior to RE5 (and insinuated that the 3DS was more powerful than 360). I'd love to hear where you pulled the comment that an unreleased 3DS game is better than RE5 too. It's never too late to learn how to read, i would suggest you do so. At the very least, keep up with the topic before you post argumentative and false statements.

The main topic was to post new screens from the RE games on 3DS. A few people posted some rather odd assumptions, including yourself. I will tell you this now, the percentage of a game's completion does not always have anything to do with how good the graphics are. Rather, it's usually the amount of gameplay content in terms of story and levels that are complete. 3DS can't hold a candle to what the Xbox 360 or PS3 can do and never will be able to. Besides the obvious resolution differences, the characters lack the polygon count to compare with RE5. RE5 could render dozens and dozens of high polygon enemies onscreen at once. Thus far, Mercenaries has shown to be able to render about 5-6, and has to heavily lower the polygon count even from Revelations to do so. If that doesn't tell you something, i don't know what will. You also have no proof for the foolish assumption that "this game isn't using 1/2 the power of the 3DS". A very foolish assumption. You have no idea how much or how little of the system's power the game is using.

The screens don't actually look good blown up at a higher resolution. Media sites that posted them have a blur filter put on them to fake a sense of quality. The game looks incredible at 3DS resolution, but lets not make foolish comments about the game looking better than RE5. It doesn't.

And lastly, IGN is the one who originally perpetrated the comment that 3DS was as powerful as 360 or PS3. They actually said that, and some people seem inclined to agree even though it's clearly not true. 360 is very powerful actually. It has a 3.2ghz triple core Xenon processor for one, something the 3DS couldn't even pray against. So again, don't post false statements about the power of certain systems.

It IS indeed unfair to compare a current gen console with a handheld, but comparing them is what has been done here, i'm just adding comments that are actually true and not full of fanboyish fantasies that make the games seem like the second coming of Christ. So if you're going to compare them, at least be truthful about it. 360 is far more powerful than the 3DS, its graphical power is eclipsed only by modern PC's and (this is heavily debated) PS3. And RE:Revelations and Mercenaries 3D do NOT look as good as RE5.

Oh and i suggest you edit your posts instead of double posting. We have an edit button.

D

Deleted-188346

granville said:
360 is very powerful actually. It has a 3.2ghz triple core Xenon processor for one, something the 3DS couldn't even pray against.
I think there is a total mixup here. My understanding is that the people who claim that the 3DS is just as powerful as the 360, are taking scaling into consideration, and that they aren't directly saying that the 3DS is more powerful than an xBox or PS3. If people are wondering and guessing about whether the N64 can be supported on the 3DS, do you really think that people seriously think the hardware is directly better than xBox or PS3?

I mean, let's imagine that we multiply the 3DS hardware power many times, so that instead of producing visuals for a tiny little screen, it's producing visuals for a large television screen. I think it would be on par with xBox 360, or perhaps PS3.

I don't think anybody is stupid enough to truly believe that if you hooked the 3DS upto a television screen and compared it to xBox, that it would look better. I mean, my god, it would look just terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1