Homebrew Retroarch 1.2 is coming...

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
I did a test with Mother 3 (English Patched) and it didn't loaded, so, i tried with Golden Sun and it worked!, mind you, everything from the menu, outside, and the battle menu works at 100% except the battles which goes down to 48 to 56 FPS, but very playable.

The nes roms from Nestopia works at perfect, and it could detect my USB pendrive to load nes roms, so, that's fine, it can do the same with 4th generation consoles aswell, i didn't tried the PS1 core but it seems interesting, if it's an update from WiiSX with more compatibility i'll check it out soon with other games.

Reactions: the_randomizer

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1.2.2 Released! Blog
Looks like CPS1 & 2 weren't working in the last version, in and fixed now. Doesn't mention any other possible fixes though.

EDIT: OOH! More cores this time! Bluemsx is in there, fmsx, mednafen gba.... looks like Windows and Android versions have Dolphin and pcsx rearmed amongst others added - fukk the Wii version I'm playing with those instead for now! :lol:
EDIT2: Think it's just the info files for now - Dolphin et al aren't on the Windows version yet at least..

i didn't tried the PS1 core but it seems interesting, if it's an update from WiiSX with more compatibility i'll check it out soon with other games.
You only get the info file for Mednafen PSX so don't get too excited, it's not there....

Last edited by mightymuffy,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.2.2 Released! Blog
Looks like CPS1 & 2 weren't working in the last version, in and fixed now. Doesn't mention any other possible fixes though.

EDIT: OOH! More cores this time! Bluemsx is in there, fmsx, mednafen gba.... looks like Windows and Android versions have Dolphin and pcsx rearmed amongst others added - fukk the Wii version I'm playing with those instead for now! :lol:
EDIT2: Think it's just the info files for now - Dolphin et al aren't on the Windows version yet at least..

You only get the info file for Mednafen PSX so don't get too excited, it's not there....

The Wii can't handle PSX emulation worth shizz anyways, so, really, it's kind of a loss cause. N64 emulation is very hit and miss as well, don't bother getting your hopes up lol. Setting up the Wii classic controller on Android is a royal pain in the ass since you have to make a config manually.

ngs428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can the XMB menu be selected in the wii version of retroarch V1.2.2? If so, how?

Also when I am in a game how do I enter the menu (other than pressing the restart button). I am using a GameCube controller. Wii mote is also connected. I thought I used to be able Press the home button?? It has been a while since I used retroarch.

Last edited by ngs428,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can the XMB menu be selected in the wii version of retroarch V1.2.2? If so, how?

Also when I am in a game how do I enter the menu (other than pressing the restart button). I am using a GameCube controller. Wii mote is also connected. I thought I used to be able Press the home button?? It has been a while since I used retroarch.

No, the Wii doesn't have the capability, you can thank the piss poor memory. If/when it's ported to the Wii U, yeah, it will happen.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the answer. Any thoughts on my other question about entering the menu?
I think (!) it used to be L + R + Up on both sticks, and to quit it was up on one stick and down on the other... pretty sure I'm right with the menu one, though it was on an older rev (I'm on Wii U now, and have a classic controller)

The xmb gui in Windows/Android etc RA also uses Open gl, which the Wii doesn't support, so it'd have to be re-written and like was said still lose too much precious memory anyway, so not worth it.

ngs428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think (!) it used to be L + R + Up on both sticks, and to quit it was up on one stick and down on the other... pretty sure I'm right with the menu one, though it was on an older rev (I'm on Wii U now, and have a classic controller)

The xmb gui in Windows/Android etc RA also uses Open gl, which the Wii doesn't support, so it'd have to be re-written and like was said still lose too much precious memory anyway, so not worth it.

Thanks! I will give it a shot.

What are the major improvements we would see on the wii then? The menu has not changed.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still getting the sticky button issue on 1.2.2. Is there any version that didn't have this issue? Between that and the performance regressions as opposed to 1.0.0.2 in the SNES9x Next core, it seems like SNES9x GX is still a better option for Super Nintendo stuff.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still getting the sticky button issue on 1.2.2. Is there any version that didn't have this issue? Between that and the performance regressions as opposed to 1.0.0.2 in the SNES9x Next core, it seems like SNES9x GX is still a better option for Super Nintendo stuff.

But others have reported it gone in 1.2.1, GX may be better for controls, but GX also still has a myriad of framerate, audio and frame-skipping issues.

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I've noticed it in multiple games. I'm using the classic controller if that makes a difference. Most notable ones were in ActRaiser and Super Mario All-Stars, though I haven't tested many others.
Personally I'll take slowdown over my character randomly running off a ledge every five minutes.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I've noticed it in multiple games. I'm using the classic controller if that makes a difference. Most notable ones were in ActRaiser and Super Mario All-Stars, though I haven't tested many others.
Personally I'll take slowdown over my character randomly running off a ledge every five minutes.

Or that horrible tinny audio issue that they could never resolve or the frequent code dumps. I never had that issue for some reason. I think people don't like the Next port for more reasons than that. If someone could port just the Next code over to GX...

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that would be a truly wonderful thing. Seems most of the issues stem from Retroarch itself and not the specific implementation of SNES9x Next.

I think the other thing is the sticky keys need more testing, have you actually reported it in the appropriate bug reporting thread or Github (assuming they use that)? I get the impression that many people have reported it, or they haven't. Thread is here - 1.2 bug thread for the Wii port http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3505

The core itself isn't the issue at all, but yes, the interface, problem is no one is willing to code Snes9x Next as a standalone port. GX has its own share of issues such as using Hermite audio interpolation and the Snes core uses Gaussian, this creates a conflict causing tinny audio. I can confirm this when RetroArch was first ported to the Wii, it had this very issue; the GUI used Hermite and the core used Gaussian, no one else noticed it, so I ran ABX tests.. If the GX UI must be used, there is to be a different audio filter or no audio at all.

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the other thing is the sticky keys need more testing, have you actually reported it in the appropriate bug reporting thread or Github (assuming they use that)? I get the impression that many people have reported it, or they haven't. Thread is here - 1.2 bug thread for the Wii port http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3505

I've been trying to register on their forum for a few days, having some issues with it. Tried multiple emails and contacting them, but regardless, once it finally does go through I'll give that a shot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH