Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujukun

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very hard, near impossible, to find in France at a good price where I live. I've eventually ordered it through Amazon Japan and used a proxy (Tenso) since Amazon JP does not ship internationally. I just checked on their website and they still are available. If you don't want to bother with the proxy stuff, you can purchase one through Ebay, some european sellers are selling it but it will cost you an arm and a leg unless you are willing to wait a good opportunity happens. This could take a while if you choose the last solution.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info, sounds like too much hassle. I'll make do with my two Classic Controllers.

jujukun

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry if someone already raised this issue before. I need your help regarding vertical shmups running on FBA (such as 1941 Counter attack on CPS1, Battle Bakraid, Strikers 1945): I can't display them on the right resolution on my TV. Whatever the resolution I choose, except the 640x480i (which is not the good resolution), it looks stretched. I know that these games must be played on Tate mode, ie turn the screen to 90° but I can't with my setup. It worth noting that I don't have this issue with Aero fighters 2 on Neo Geo. When I pick the right resolution (608x224p), it looks perfect. Is there something to do that I missed?

ntpsq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if there's a way to remap the shortcut buttons for savestates? I'm using a controller without any sticks! Love the emulator though. Keep up the good work!

DonkulousPrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm running Retroarch on Wii(latest build) and can't seem to figure out how to use or enable borders and optional shaders. Is there a way to do this? Id like to make my own if this works and perhaps host them for other gamers if they're interested, thanks to any who reply. :)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm running Retroarch on Wii(latest build) and can't seem to figure out how to use or enable borders and optional shaders. Is there a way to do this? Id like to make my own if this works and perhaps host them for other gamers if they're interested, thanks to any who reply.

As far as I know these are not supported.

DonkulousPrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As far as I know these are not supported.
Thanks for replying, I've been scratching my head for hours lol. It's too bad really, this is the ultimate emulator and on the PC seems matchless in customization.. Really wish it was different for the console version, but hey I can always play it on tv via PC. :) I might try contacting the developers I guess just to see what they'll say.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for replying, I've been scratching my head for hours lol. It's too bad really, this is the ultimate emulator and on the PC seems matchless in customization.. Really wish it was different for the console version, but hey I can always play it on tv via PC. :) I might try contacting the developers I guess just to see what they'll say.
Shaders on Wii aren't supported because the Wii is not capable enough, sadly.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

The Wii has a fixed-function, DirectX7-class GPU. It cannot do shaders.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/16/wii-fanboy-interviews-high-voltage-on-the-conduit/

Dan: The Wii has a fixed function graphics processing pipeline, so it isn't really a direct comparison and the vertex / pixel processing on the system is not technically done via "shaders".

You can do some TEV tricks but it is not really a serious proposition to HLSL/Cg/GLSL.

So no. RetroArch PS3 has shader support and has enough video memory so that you can do 3x/4x FBO scaling. The Xbox 360 is kinda lacking in that regard with its limited 10MB of EDRAM (and all render targets need to fit on that, WTF).

Maybe if the Wii U ever gets hacked and we can develop homebrew on it (and run it), you could have shader support on that. But not sure how worthwhile a RetroArch Wii U port would be when it doesn't have the analog TV connectivity of the Wii and you could just get a more powerful HTPC anyway that could do the job much better than a Wii U ever could.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Maybe if the Wii U ever gets hacked and we can develop homebrew on it (and run it), you could have shader support on that. But not sure how worthwhile a RetroArch Wii U port would be when it doesn't have the analog TV connectivity of the Wii and you could just get a more powerful HTPC anyway that could do the job much better than a Wii U ever could.
WiiU has the option for analog TV input through composite or component cable.

DonkulousPrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, well maybe I'm just reaching here, but even if Wii doesn't support shaders, couldn't there still be a method to just apply custom borders? It's purely cosmetic only, and hardly serves any real purpose...but at least you could spice it up retro style?
Edit: what I mean is, couldn't the Retroarh team create a method just for borders only?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, well maybe I'm just reaching here, but even if Wii doesn't support shaders, couldn't there still be a method to just apply custom borders? It's purely cosmetic only, and hardly serves any real purpose...but at least you could spice it up retro style?
Edit: what I mean is, couldn't the Retroarh team create a method just for borders only?
I do not think so.
In order to emulate the systems on the level RA does, borders would take up to much recourses.

DonkulousPrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do not think so.
In order to emulate the systems on the level RA does, borders would take up to much recourses.
Okay, here's a question for you. I've been using this fantastic emulator on my PC and loving it, figured out how to add some filters and got the whole retro thing going complete with tube tv border, ect. Then I got thinking, is it possible to develop or create animated textures now or sometime down the road? I was watching an old movie and in the background a tv was on and they had this great old ripple effect going on that scrolled down repeatedly, brought back some memories actually lol. Something like that would add to the authentic feel of retro gaming, although it may be slightly distracting...the same idea though could be used for other filters as well, making everything feel less static. Maybe including an option like this is too ambitious?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, here's a question for you. I've been using this fantastic emulator on my PC and loving it, figured out how to add some filters and got the whole retro thing going complete with tube tv border, ect. Then I got thinking, is it possible to develop or create animated textures now or sometime down the road? I was watching an old movie and in the background a tv was on and they had this great old ripple effect going on that scrolled down repeatedly, brought back some memories actually lol. Something like that would add to the authentic feel of retro gaming, although it may be slightly distracting...the same idea though could be used for other filters as well, making everything feel less static. Maybe including an option like this is too ambitious?
I once opted this for the Wiimednafen emulator.
I translated the gui to dutch at that time.

The developer said he would look into it, but I think it's very hard.
If I understand right you are thinking about this as if you were looking through a window with a pattern across.
Sorta like an overlay?

I think it's how MAME does it.....and as far as I know this is method of shader.

DonkulousPrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I once opted this for the Wiimednafen emulator.
I translated the gui to dutch at that time.

The developer said he would look into it, but I think it's very hard.
If I understand right you are thinking about this as if you were looking through a window with a pattern across.
Sorta like an overlay?

I think it's how MAME does it.....and as far as I know this is method of shader.
Ya, exactly like a window with a filter that would effectively be more than just a fixed "screen" of scan lines, but as an example they would be scan lines that scrolled either up or down. Hopefully I'm explaining this right :( Hopefully the developers look into it, I think it would be a crazy option for those who're really going for that hard core authentic look.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ya, exactly like a window with a filter that would effectively be more than just a fixed "screen" of scan lines, but as an example they would be scan lines that scrolled either up or down. Hopefully I'm explaining this right :( Hopefully the developers look into it, I think it would be a crazy option for those who're really going for that hard core authentic look.
You are better off using a slg 3000 or slg HD by arcade force.

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When is the Next update for RetroArch going to be released?

On the TurboGrafx Side of thing

I'm using a Gamecube Controller, Well a SNES to Wii Adapter from RetroUSB

I was playing around with some games like Bonk's Adventure & SF2 CE

Everytime I press up it goes from 2B to 6B Mode

Like in the Option Mene in SF2 CE Every Button I press it goes from 2 to 6 Button Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: The rest is where Lain encounters herself in scary situations.