Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried Pokemon Fire Red and SMA4 with and without game_config.txt. Crashes happened both times. So only the devs could check if any hardcoded configs could be the reason for the random crashes of gpsp...

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be just me updating to the latest hourly Luma, but I've noticed that if gpsp is the first program run upon turning on your 3DS, it's more likely to work fine. Try testing to see if it crashes if it's the first RetroArch core run while it's powered on. Also, it will still crash if it's run immediately after a crash-reboot.

EDIT: Nevermind, just locked up on the airship in World 2, after starting from the start space.

Last edited by Chris_Highwind,

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Two questions;

1: have we squeezed the most power we can out of the N3DS for PS1 emulation? It's pretty impressive.

2: Anyone know how to fix Rayman 1 (PS1)'s audio? Music doesn't play which is one of the best parts of the game--
I recall having to mount the game as an ISO then run the game from CD in order to fix it on EPSXE. Is there any workaround for that for N3DS?
It runs perfectly fine otherwise which is really neat.

D

Deleted User

Two questions;

1: have we squeezed the most power we can out of the N3DS for PS1 emulation? It's pretty impressive.

2: Anyone know how to fix Rayman 1 (PS1)'s audio? Music doesn't play which is one of the best parts of the game--
I recall having to mount the game as an ISO then run the game from CD in order to fix it on EPSXE. Is there any workaround for that for N3DS?
It runs perfectly fine otherwise which is really neat.
I bet if we could make it reboot the way Smash4 does, we could get even more power

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
anyone have a gameconfig.txt and where to place it ?

I think the gpsp stability is by far the most wanted request in this thread. I really would love to have a stable gpsp as well :)

Try the obvious, go to core options and disable they dynarec, should be slower but it should at least give us an idea if it's the dynarec crashing it.

D

Deleted User

Try the obvious, go to core options and disable they dynarec, should be slower but it should at least give us an idea if it's the dynarec crashing it.

The .3ds version of gpsp works fine, suggesting that it probably is dynarec.

Reactions: cvskid

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just followed @Radius4's suggestion of turning off dynarec and played for a while, switching between SMA4 and Spyro 1 and there were no crashes. However, SMA4 lagged when on world-to-level transitions and level-to-level transitions, but it ran the actual levels at fullspeed while Spyro 1 had some slowdown in the hub world which were remedied with the settings used to improve PCSX's speed.

wiifan420

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know why gpsp just black screens for me? Im running the latest commit of Luma3DS and A9LH. All of the other emulators seems to work fine, at least the ones I care about. But gpSP just stays at a black screen upon launch.

wiifan420

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use NTR firmware.bin if on 11.0.

But I am. I followed the guide completely. Even when trying to load NTR by itself it says ntr.bin not found.

Edit: So im an idiot and didnt have the ntr.bin in my root of the sd card. But I still cant figure out why gpsp just stays on a black screen.

Edit 2: Picodrive does the same shit. Cant find a firmware.bin for 10.4 that users are saying works a couple of pages back. Why wouldnt just the latest commit of Luma3DS be enough to fix the dynarec (or whatever) issue?

Edit 3: So I found the firmware.bin for 10.4 and can confirm gpsp works again.

This creates a new question. Whats the difference between using the firmware.bin from 10.4 all the time as opposed to using the firmware.bin from 11.0? Do I ever need to switch them to make certain homebrew run, besides obviously this case in retroarch?

Edit 4: LOL, well when using 10.4 firmware.bin, ntr 3.4 preview 2 says firmware not supported and fails to load. Just cant fucking win. Oh well, I never use ntr anyway.

Last Edit: 10.2 firm doesnt work for me with ntr but allows gpsp to boot. 10.4 firm same results. 11.0 firm, same results. But the Firmware.bin NTR for N3DS thats linked in the A9LH guide in the arm9loaderhax section 5, doesnt allow gpsp to boot, but ntr does work with it.

Last edited by wiifan420,

3xkrazy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Slasher115

Suggestion:
Can you create a symlink titled Latest-RetroArch_* for the latest build in the nightly/stable directory?

For example,
Latest-RetroArch_3ds.7z links to the latest .3ds build
Latest-RetroArch_3dsx.7z links to the latest .3dsx build
Latest-RetroArch_cia.7z links to the latest .cia build

A lot of other nightlies do the same thing. It would make it so much easier getting the latest version using a shell script hardcoding that symlink.

3xkrazy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Slasher115

Suggestion:
Can you create a symlink titled Latest-RetroArch_* for the latest build in the nightly/stable directory?

For example,
Latest-RetroArch_3ds.7z links to the latest .3ds build
Latest-RetroArch_3dsx.7z links to the latest .3dsx build
Latest-RetroArch_cia.7z links to the latest .cia build

A lot of other nightlies do the same thing. It would make it so much easier getting the latest version using a shell script hardcoding that symlink.

Nevermind. I can fetch the latest build using something simple like:

For *.3dsx:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

latest_retroarch_nightly=http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/$(date +%Y-%m-%d)_RetroArch_3dsx.7z

wget $latest_retroarch_nightly;

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just tried disabling dynarec for gpsp cia and played SMA4 for some minutes: no crash! It does have some slowdowns but the actual levels are fullspeed on my N3DS.
Perhaps the crashes are really caused by the dynarec option. But I am sure the .3ds version once crashed for me too, so I don't know if it really is the case. I'll continue testing and report back.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have an A9LH/Luma N3DS with RetroArch cores from the latest stable builds installed as cias. I've tested out PCSX with FF7 and FFT. Both run somewhat slow, and the sound is crackly and awful. FFT frame rate dips down into the 30s often.

Is there some way to improve this? I've tried setting audio sync enable to off, but that doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: OnlyWizard&WarioFans.com +1