Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirate bay has the complete .78 set uploaded. You'd be better off downloading the 0.37b5 set for the dstwo and updating it using clrmame pro. It'll give you all the roms that are gonna run fullspeed anyways and leave out the stuff that wouldn't run anyways.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is the MAME core super-picky about which games it accepts? Because I can't find MAME .78 ROMs; just more modern ones. I'm really eager to get my Mega Zone fix and regrettably, the PSP version of MAME just doesn't handle the game well. (Hm, I wonder if all those games are from .78? Gonna hafta dig through my PSP and find out.)

There's a torrent for MAME 0.78 roms out there; if you have a decent torrent client you could just grab the ROMs you want from it so you don't have to download 8GB of stuff.

On a side-note, I can't reproduce the purported tearing in Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Gen Plus. Strange.. :/

Tieracloud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the MAME core super-picky about which games it accepts? Because I can't find MAME .78 ROMs; just more modern ones. I'm really eager to get my Mega Zone fix and regrettably, the PSP version of MAME just doesn't handle the game well. (Hm, I wonder if all those games are from .78? Gonna hafta dig through my PSP and find out.)

Mame is really tricky as when newer revisions come out some of the older roms work while others have to be updated. It just really depends on what exactly was changed.

Ardend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a torrent for MAME 0.78 roms out there; if you have a decent torrent client you could just grab the ROMs you want from it so you don't have to download 8GB of stuff.

On a side-note, I can't reproduce the purported tearing in Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Gen Plus. Strange.. :/
Hey @daxtsu, this is the problem I have been having too. I see bad vertical tearing on games in CatSFC+, and even worse in CatSFC, but others aren't seeing it at all. But it doesn't happen in the 10/2 build I have. So something changed between the 10/2 and 10/15 builds (the next one I grabbed at the time), but I can't figure out what. I feel like I have played with all the settings to try and fix it and nothing :(

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I can't get any of these new emulators to work, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I just get a garbled mess on the top display and a red screen on the bottom. Does this work with *hax 2.5? Because that's what I'm using right now, and it seems to have broken a few emulators.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey @daxtsu, this is the problem I have been having too. I see bad vertical tearing on games in CatSFC+, and even worse in CatSFC, but others aren't seeing it at all. But it doesn't happen in the 10/2 build I have. So something changed between the 10/2 and 10/15 builds (the next one I grabbed at the time), but I can't figure out what. I feel like I have played with all the settings to try and fix it and nothing :(

It's hard to fix when we can't even reproduce it ourselves, that's the thing. It's like trying to snipe a target from a kilometer away, blindfolded, deaf, and shooting over your shoulder backward.

Unfortunately, I can't get any of these new emulators to work, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I just get a garbled mess on the top display and a red screen on the bottom. Does this work with *hax 2.5? Because that's what I'm using right now, and it seems to have broken a few emulators.

If you mean MAME or FBA full you have to launch it using Youtube, Smash Bros or MH4U as the target.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get the MAME 0.78 Roms, but I am wondering where to place the 2 .chd Files I have. Tried to run Killer Instinct, but it said it could not find it saying it is not in some Directory.
Also, MK1 and MK2 go at around 1/2-3/4 Speed. Was able to get the Terminator 2 Light-gun Game to run though. Only problem is, I think MAME put in the Show Light-gun Cross-hair in a later Release because I could not see where I was aiming at when I had to Calibrate the Targeting. But T2 runs around 3/4 Speed and below.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was able to get the MAME 0.78 Roms, but I am wondering where to place the 2 .chd Files I have. Tried to run Killer Instinct, but it said it could not find it saying it is not in some Directory.

IIRC, games with CHDs have to be in a directory named the name of the romset (so kinstinct or something?), with the zip and the chd inside that. Or that's how it always worked with MAME on PC.

Scratch that, it's the zip file in some directory, then the CHD in its own directory, so something like

Code:
/roms
----sfiii3.zip
----/sfiii3
     |-----sfiii3.chd

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. Now for the other issue:
I tried running the correct Release of SFIII, but for some reason, it was saying it was missing something. How large does the sfiii.zip have to be? I know there are 2 different ones, a NO-CD and one that requires a .chd, but the Romset I have for FBA does not have any CHD files

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to fix when we can't even reproduce it ourselves, that's the thing. It's like trying to snipe a target from a kilometer away, blindfolded, deaf, and shooting over your shoulder backward.

If you mean MAME or FBA full you have to launch it using Youtube, Smash Bros or MH4U as the target.

Oh, so it's not gonna work through IronFall? That's what I've been using to access these files. I haven't used YouTube for this stuff in ages, and thought that vector was finally closed off by Nintendo.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh, so it's not gonna work through IronFall? That's what I've been using to access these files. I haven't used YouTube for this stuff in ages, and thought that vector was finally closed off by Nintendo.

See this post by @Vague Rant: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroar...y-builds-included.400913/page-25#post-5777547

You basically need to create an XML file to use MAME or FBA full, with that stuff in it, so that the Homebrew Launcher will run it under Youtube or Monster Hunter 4 or Smash Bros. (they're the only things large enough to run MAME or FBA full). Nothing to do with tubehax.

@Azel, or @Slasher115, could you add that to the first post, please?

Reactions: Azel and Stack3r

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I got sfiiin.zip to run. Seems that MAME 0.139 Romset works perfectly. Runs anywhere from 26-29FPS during Fights, then up to 45-52FPS-Full speed for other Items like the Game Intro video, High Scores.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I got sfiiin.zip to run. Seems that MAME 0.139 Romset works perfectly. Runs anywhere from 26-29FPS during Fights, then up to 45-52FPS-Full speed for other Items like the Game Intro video, High Scores.

How did you end up having to structure the CHD and rom zip file? I'm trying to get Killer Instinct to work, but it keeps saying the CHD is missing, when it's not..

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well so far, I have not figured out what the deal is with that Game. But all I did for the Full FBA was take a shot at the 0.139 MAME Set for Street Fighter III and it worked. Ran sfiiin.zip which ran that and sfiii.zip and had no issues. Guessing both had all the required files it needed.

Edit 1: sfiii2n.zip (SFIII 2nd Impact) does not work in the FBA Full. Guessing it is too large. But at least SF III works.

From what I can see when I try to run kinst.zip, when it comes to try and run the .chd:
RetroArch [libretro INFO] : : :: osd fopen (buffer = [sdmc:/image//kinst.chd]) (systemDir: [sdmc: ]), (path type dir: [image]), (path: [2]), (filename: [/kinst.chd])
kinst.chd NOT FOUND

Yet I have the CHD with the Roms in the same Directory

Last edited by Smoker1,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, some clarification is in order. What do I name this XML file and where do I put it? I'm (perhaps unsurprisingly) lost.

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
So i'm trying to use the MAME and FBA (full) cores with menuhax on an N3DS, and I just get a red screen on launch (11/1 nightly). I have a "mame078_libretro.xml" (and an .xml with the appropriate title for FBA) in their /3ds/ folders and the xml has this in it:

<targets selectable="true">
<titlemediatype="1">00040000000D3000</title>
</targets>

00040000000D3000 is the title ID for the Japanese Youtube.

Any ideas?

Last edited by kiwiis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/2r0RfRgnruk?si=bAlT_cokRQd3qyHp