Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Bornabe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there everyone. I'm trying my best to get RetroArch working on my N3DSXL which has everything working perfectly except for RetroArch. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong since I've done exactly what the guide says and every other one I find. I'm trying to get the gpSP GBA emulator going. I have the proper bios file, md5 checked, in the cores/system folder and QuickNES comes up and works just fine. When I load gpSP, RetroArch comes up showing that core as loaded, so I choose the content and boom, nothing... locked up at No profiles found... BUT... I shut down the system, check another core and good, then back to gpSP and now it won't get into the RetroArch menu at the top-screen, just stops at the No profiles found. I know I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what... Been at this stuff for a staggering 28 years... I'm one of the old-schoolers and don't normally need help, but I think age is setting in and I don't know what to do.

RetroArch Nightly
gpSP Core cia installed with Bios in cores/system

*Edit: I would like to be quiet now. The 23rd Nightly was giving me those troubles... I got on just now, redid it with the 24th Nightly and... it works.
**Edit: It's crashing fairly often, so I'll need to find another way to enjoy GBA games for now.

Last edited by Bornabe,

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there everyone. I'm trying my best to get RetroArch working on my N3DSXL which has everything working perfectly except for RetroArch. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong since I've done exactly what the guide says and every other one I find. I'm trying to get the gpSP GBA emulator going. I have the proper bios file, md5 checked, in the cores/system folder and QuickNES comes up and works just fine. When I load gpSP, RetroArch comes up showing that core as loaded, so I choose the content and boom, nothing... locked up at No profiles found... BUT... I shut down the system, check another core and good, then back to gpSP and now it won't get into the RetroArch menu at the top-screen, just stops at the No profiles found. I know I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what... Been at this stuff for a staggering 28 years... I'm one of the old-schoolers and don't normally need help, but I think age is setting in and I don't know what to do.

RetroArch Nightly
gpSP Core cia installed with Bios in cores/system

*Edit: I would like to be quiet now. The 23rd Nightly was giving me those troubles... I got on just now, redid it with the 24th Nightly and... it works.
**Edit: It's crashing fairly often, so I'll need to find another way to enjoy GBA games for now.
The GBA emulator on RetroArch is VERY prone to crashing, and there hasn't been any fixes, so I'd stay away from that. mGBA is better, but the games will run slowly. Injection is the only way to enjoy GBA on a 3DS, old or new.

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is only one thing missing to make the 3DS a perfect handheld console for emulation, and that is a decent port of the C64 emulator VICE, either as stand-alone title, or as retroarch core. I couldn't really find any chatter about this need though. The (New) 3DS is perfectly suited for emulating the C64, because the bottom screen can be used to display touch-keyboard, which is essential to play many games, for example Ultima IV. It seems silly that the port exists for handhelds where the keyboard has to be pulled up, leaving the game screen. Only the 3DS can re-create the C64 with a constant on virtual keyboard! I'm aware of the Frodo port "Breadbox". I'm grateful for it, but VICE is the way to go, it has reached practically 100% perfection. VICE is already part of the retroarch system, but why is there no core for the 3DS?

Reactions: plug313

PiXi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
How can I adjust gamma or brightness, Genesis games looks a bit dark. I now that there are shaders for that but as I understand Retroarch 3DS ports doesn't support it.

forexjammer2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
anyone can help? I'm trying to run Neo geo games but it always gave me

An exception occurred error
data abort
translation - section

Help!

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone can help? I'm trying to run Neo geo games but it always gave me

An exception occurred error
data abort
translation - section

Help!
Not sure if this is the cause of the errors but is the zip compressed? You'll need an app like 7-zip to make an uncompressed zip file if that's the case. Once you get it, just extract the existing ROM, create an uncompressed zip (compression level: storage) and add the files from the other zip to the new one.

forexjammer2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not sure if this is the cause of the errors but is the zip compressed? You'll need an app like 7-zip to make an uncompressed zip file if that's the case. Once you get it, just extract the existing ROM, create an uncompressed zip (compression level: storage) and add the files from the other zip to the new one.

I've tried the rom on MAME PC and it works without problem so I don't think that's the case. The roms are also downloaded from archive . org. I'm guessing it's the bios? Mine is 1556 kb. It works on my pc though :/

forexjammer2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Do you have neogeo.zip in the same folder as your Neo Geo roms?
The 3DS version of Retroarch is unable to open compressed ZIPs.
Yes, I have neogeo.zip in the same folder as my roms. I changed all my roms to uncompressed ones and now I'm getting

EDIT: nevermind, for some reason it's working fine after restarting my 3ds. Thanks! For people that gets the same problem make sure to get uni version of neo geo bios and make sure the roms are uncompressed file!

Last edited by forexjammer2,

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold it. When did a change in RetroArch 3DS occur where NeoGeo ROMs had to be uncompressed all of a sudden? I've been around since 1.41 and I know it was not like that before!

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold it. When did a change in RetroArch 3DS occur where NeoGeo ROMs had to be uncompressed all of a sudden? I've been around since 1.41 and I know it was not like that before!
Been like that for me for a long time. It also affects MAME and other consoles. Hope they can fix it.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason any time I try to load a zx spectrum game with the fuse core the system crashes with an unexpected error message. Does fuse work and if it does what the heck am I doing wrong. All other cores I have tried work fine.

PokeNev

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, sorry I’m new here and retroarch was working perfectly fine before but, now when I load my ps1 game ( witch worked before ) now gives me a “ An exeption error exeption type data abort Processor ARM9 “ Can anyone help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Andy didn't get any catholic toys because they wouldn't go limp when they saw him