Rocket League is ending support for Linux and macOS (UPDATE)

header_alt_assets_10.jpg

Rocket League has been going through many changes, following the purchase of developer Psyonix by Epic Games. The latest announcement for the game doesn't alter lootboxes or attempt to change storefronts this time, however. Citing "adapting [the game] to use new technologies" and difficulties in supporting multiple platforms on PC, Psyonix has decided to end macOS and Linux support for Rocket League this year. Soon, a patch will go live for the Steam version of the game, disabling online features for the game for those not on Windows. Matchmaking, private matches, tournaments, Rocket Pass, item shop, in-game events. and anything requiring online connections will no longer work, and will be exclusive to the Windows version of Rocket League. Local/offline features will still work as expected, though, with local co-op/versus, car customization, and old Steam workshop maps still being usable. This change is expected to take place in early March.

We want Rocket League to be the best experience possible for all our players. This includes adapting to use new technologies. This has made it more difficult to support macOS and Linux (SteamOS). Because of this, we will have a final patch for these versions in early March.

The macOS and Linux (SteamOS) versions will no longer be updated or supported after the final patch. You will still be able to download and install these versions, but some features will not function as expected.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE: Psyonix's community manager has released a statement regarding the issue, along with some updates on refunding.

Regarding our decision to end support for macOS and Linux:
Rocket League is an evolving game, and part of that evolution is keeping our game client up to date with modern features. As part of that evolution, we'll be updating our Windows version from 32-bit to 64-bit later this year, as well as updating to DirectX 11 from DirectX 9.
Unfortunately, our macOS and Linux native clients depend on our DX9 implementation for their OpenGL renderer to function. When we stop supporting DX9, those clients stop working. To keep these versions functional, we would need to invest significant additional time and resources in a replacement rendering pipeline such as Metal on macOS or Vulkan/OpenGL4 on Linux. We'd also need to invest perpetual support to ensure new content and releases work as intended on those replacement pipelines.

The number of active players on macOS and Linux combined represents less than 0.3% of our active player base. Given that, we cannot justify the additional and ongoing investment in developing native clients for those platforms, especially when viable workarounds exist like Bootcamp or Wine to keep those users playing.

You can read the full statement at the link below.

:arrow: Update

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Could be something weird like they know direct x 13 is coming (Though I doubt it), but probably 98% of players are on windows, and there's probably been a lot less players recently, and management is cutting cost.
They actually released a statement, it's because they're updating the engine for Rocket League to DX11 only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/etiih3/update_on_refunds_for_macos_and_linux_players/ <

Apparently, Linux and macOS both only account for a whopping 0.3% of their active player base, which is hilariously small enough that I honestly can't blame them for not bothering with updating the engine to support Vulkan/OpenGL4 or Metal on macOS.

That said, I think it's dumb they're just dropping support outright, unless this switch from DX9 to DX11 is going to massively change mechanics (which I doubt), there's 0 reason they couldn't simply continue supporting online play between the two in a similar fashion to cross play.

Reactions: LifeIsParadox

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it's not using DX9 or DX11 on Playstation or Switch, and they aren't losing support. Also doesn't Stadia run on Linux? I don't believe the graphics API excuse here. It's clear they will continue to support platforms that don't have DX, so this decision is clearly a business choice and the technical excuses they're feeding us are BS.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Apparently, Linux and macOS both only account for a whopping 0.3% of their active player base

Well it's not using DX9 or DX11 on Playstation or Switch, and they aren't losing support.Also

Presumably Switch and PlayStation make up a large enough percentage of the userbase to make it financially worthwhile.

doesn't Stadia run on Linux?

I don't know but if it does, that's only one single configuration they need to support as opposed to an open platform with an unlimited number of possible/ hardwaresoftware combinations.

At the end of the day, if it made financial sense to support these platforms, then they would. The fact is that they've decided it would be less of a financial hit to offer refunds to the existing users on these platforms than it would be to keep on providing any kind of legacy support.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only reason why i use macos (hackintosh) is to better understand the OS, i play some games but vast majority on windows or linux i can see if some people are apple fanboys/girls but giving apples defiancy over right to repair even going as far as suing youtubers who make DIY Repair vids over "trade secrets" it baffles me why people support such a company with shady practices let alone the lock out linux with the T2 security chip

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only reason why i use macos (hackintosh) is to better understand the OS, i play some games but vast majority on windows or linux i can see if some people are apple fanboys/girls but giving apples defiancy over right to repair even going as far as suing youtubers who make DIY Repair vids over "trade secrets" it baffles me why people support such a company with shady practices let alone the lock out linux with the T2 security chip

Apple is run by idiots, that's why, it's gone downhill since Steve Jobs died

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he's more wound up at your general inability to express an opinion with respect, perspective and nuance.

I mean, I can try harder I suppose, but I think it's too little too late for this discussion *shrug*. He didn't have to call me "tard" though, even I didn't go that far, all I called him was a punk. Heaven forbid.

I was only joking in the first post I made in "Mac OS isn't for gamers", well, half joking. But it's too late, I can't undo it now.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would like them to explain what are these new technologies that aren't supported on Linux and Mac. Because as it stands it just sounds like they're making up excuses to be lazy. It can't be Vulkan, as that is supported just fine.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, he's just upset that I don't like Macs or Mac OS
Uh, no. It's the fact that you delegitimize Macs and their owners with absolutely no knowledge of them other than what PC bros regurgitate amongst their idiot fanboy friends.. I couldn't give a fuck less if you like them or not, you conceited ass.

Reactions: nachodorito

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I guess they looked at their statistics and decided that the low number of Mac/Linux players would cost them more than it was making them if they were to implement these new technologies into the Mac and Linux versions as well.
See above. They're strictly moving to DX11, and most likely don't want to implement OGL 4/Vulkan due to the incredibly small customer bases on these two systems. If I had to guess, people running Linux or macOS probably have a dedicated gaming console where they own this game. That's my case at least.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Wow, did someone piss in your cereal this morning? Take your precious Unix based OS machine and suck it then. Just keep to your precious Mac and overpriced proprietary bullshit peripherals for all I care.

Cry me a fucking river

Edit: I don't care what OS people like, but don't be a condescending, sanctimonious punk about it
I'm glad that you're self aware enough to call yourself out in your edit. That's very mature of you and I'm proud of your growth!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
See above. They're strictly moving to DX11, and most likely don't want to implement OGL 4/Vulkan due to the incredibly small customer bases on these two systems. If I had to guess, people running Linux or macOS probably have a dedicated gaming console where they own this game. That's my case at least.
There are other reasons to use Vulkan, I would consider it a step forward. Vulkan also tends to be faster because of more direct access to the hardware. Going DX11 only on the other hand seems like a step backwards. But thanks for the explanation, that does make more sense. Still a bad reason to stop supporting Linux, but at least it's an actual reason rather than an excuse.
I guess running it on Linux shouldn't be much of a problem with Wine + DXVK or Steam Proton though so Linux gamers won't be affected too much. That's just kind of the norm for Linux gaming anyway, so they're used to it.

JammEr21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, guys. I saw a lot of messages from beginners, I want to help you out. First of all, you should watch some videos about RL from Thanovic, there you will find some useful information about this game. Also, you can try using special sites, from which you can buy items from Rocket League and the price usually are cheaper than on steam market. There are a lot of them on the Internet, personally, I'm using this site, I usually buy rocket league items from here. I've never had any issues with it, so you can try it, but you need to decide first, if you want to do it.

Last edited by JammEr21,
D

Deleted User

Something I really wish Windows could do is natively support using a controller to navigate the OS for the custom game console HTPC I've been building.
it's not native, but steam big picture works wonders for contoller navigation

JasonMay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to tell you the truth, firstly I thought that this step was pretty reckless and inconsiderate towards the users of the game, however if they have only 0,3% of users using linux and macos, for whom it wouldn't be a real problem, it actually makes sense. Anyway, I believe that we need to respect their choice. Btw, when it comes to rocket league, have you actually found a reliable trading market? I'd like to purchase some items, however my past experience wasn't that good, especially speaking of too long delivery. I've recently discovered rocket league trading and it seems to be reliable. Any suggestions about it?

Last edited by JasonMay,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or like terminatior
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    with living tissue
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why does the health behavior exist if you can just use a variable?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and nope the number still doesnt change
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok im gonna make my own asset
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm i think i fixed it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I fixed it
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    how are you\
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, we just talked like 2 hours ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had the Goodyear blimp fly real low right over my house this morning, was weird out of nowhere looking up and seeing it that close up. Memorial golf tourney going on by me in Dublin Ohio and its there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tried the gdevelop mobile app and theres a event limit and you have to pay to add more events
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I never used the mobile or online versions, just the pc version.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only use the online version
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was at the bar for 1 hour and lost $40 playing pool, and said well that's enough for my unlucky day, better quit. Some sharks up there today.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, did you get drunk?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I don't drink much when i goto bar, cause I driving, or if/when I do, ill take a uber/cab home. But I'm working on it now tho I'm home, beer n whiskey shots today.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: No I don't drink much when i goto bar, cause I driving, or if/when I do, ill take a uber/cab...