Gaming Rocksmith

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
OP
Trophies
XP
Hi, im curious to know if anyone owns or has used the rocksmith game...

I have read some reviews on its use and application but id rather get first hand info and knowledge from anyone here who has used it. weather its easy to start learning straight out the box.. feel like your progressing from never having played a guitar before and weather it holds true for both left and right handed people

thanks guys

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not what one could call musically inclined but I have several friends and clients that play it. It is a matter for debate whether it could completely take over learning an instrument, especially depending upon your philosophy there*, though as the shortcomings could probably be made up for by watching videos and reading that is not so bad. From what I gather the first game had some difficulties at various levels depending upon your skill (several people with faded skills found a gap between the basics which it taught well enough and the more advanced stuff) but the newer one released not so long ago largely smooths this out if people are to be believed.

Not sure how it plays for different handedness and the one person I know that plays left does it upside down anyway. Reading around they seem to have done a good job of supporting it.

*I gather this is the rock/metal approach where everybody is lead guitar rather than the more classical approach where you are another instrument in a band. I do not know nearly enough to make a proper comment there though other than to say the instrument in a band approach has consistently produced some of the best guitarists out there.

In short I am fairly confident in saying if it is a waste of money it is because you did not use it, such a situation coming from your own idleness or otherwise being pressed for time.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
OP
Trophies
XP
thanks for the reply, what you have written has been along the same lines as reviews which is interesting, not having any previous experience it would be just to learn and build confidence on the guitar knowing i could pick it up and play and song i wanted weather it be electric or acoustic but the biggest barrier is that i am left handed and there is not so many tutors out there that cant teach that so i thought maybe using this way through rocksmith it might push my in the right direction and get me started

yummm pizza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I also was a bit skeptical, but here's how it works-

You plug your guitar straight into the Xbox with a special AUX to USB chord (comes with the game) and each note you hit has a unique output, allowing the game to tell the difference between all notes.

On startup, it'll ask you if you're a lefty, and it seamlessly integrates every feature to do so.

The game is, in fact, very easy to get used to and learn. Ever played guitar hero? basically it shows the entire fretboard of your guitar instead of the green, red, yellow, blue, orange buttons.

Depending on the notes you'll have to hit next, it automatically zooms in to the section of the fretboard on-screen, with numbers for each spot. Each string has a different color, notes come down, and you play the note

when it lines up.

Most of all, you can plug in a bass, or, if you dont have a bass, you can use your guitar AS a bass, with a special setting they call "emulated bass" (playing the same notes, but on the guitar).

The game ALSO works as a flawless tuner, getting you tuned to any set up in seconds... Not to mention it has a freeplay mode that works as an AMPLIFIER, with hundreds of effects! So if you have a big TV/ stereo, then

you've got a HUGE amp.

I would highly recommend it man!

Reactions: _acid_

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
OP
Trophies
XP
Yummm pizza, thank you i think you have answered all that i needed to know on what it does and how it works

sounds like it will do everything i need in order to get started including learning left handed lol, it may take time to learn but that's what i look forward to

thanks again!!!!!!!

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not gotten the chance to play it, but I've done a lot of research myself and what I've seen is very, very positive! I'm a novice guitar player and I feel like Rocksmith is just what I need to get motivated to learn, but unfortunately I don't have an electronic guitar and I'm short on $$$. :( As another poster pointed out earlier, Rocksmith 2014 seems to do some nice optimizing and tweaking that improves upon the original, so I would recommend getting it instead of the original Rocksmith if you can. But yeah, everything I've seen suggests that it is a very good way to learn guitar. It may not be a complete replacement for lessons due to the lack of intelligent human feedback, but it will definitely help you in the right direction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    when i go to college,what do you guys think i should major?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    inb4 computer science
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Fake Leg scratching 101
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    IT support you can act like your own farts smell like cherries that way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Odin 2s $300 lol no
  • Scarlet @ Scarlet:
    The Mini is even more lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That RG cube is starting to look like the better value price creep option
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a handheld gaming system with a tablet sized screen, like a 8 or10" screen, with controllers that can detach like the Switch.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @BigOnYa i was legitimately trying to scratch my leg, this is reminding me of that cylinder post
  • Scarlet @ Scarlet:
    I don't see the buzz about a square screen personally. I think there will be a review on the site within a few weeks though if you are interested.
    +1
  • Scarlet @ Scarlet:
    I've put down the money on the Odin 2 Mini since I just love that Vita form factor. Loved the power of the Odin 2 but the size always put me off, this one seems exactly what I've been wanting.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't care about the square screen it's just nice to hold something you don't have to stretch your arms a foots length
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All these things expecting to be super huge is overrated just run a type c cable to your TV if you want a big display or in my case screen mirror it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    On the go tho I meant, I use my 10" tablet and a Bluetooth controller for retro gaming while sitting on my porch or on long car rides sometimes. Easier on my eyes than the Switch screen.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My point is we already have enough shit with big displays having something pocketable with up to ps2 would be fine on the go
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken unless the games are made for that screen size most suck on a screen that size... Having a square screen and being brighter and higher res helps but it's not a cure all, text is tiny bullets are tiny, your.... Well lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can stretch to fit probably it's not all bad that they make it seem to be
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People always yap about oh but you loose pixels but yeah it won't look awful either
    I like filters :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Filters are why you don't go on 2nd dates
    Lol nahhh it's because I usually get what they want on the first date lol
    I swear if I hear "I don't usually do this on the first date" on more time... I am going to start counting
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought you McDonald's even tho you lied about your pics I still deserve this
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol