Rockstar's parent company Take-Two files trademark opposition dispute for Remedy's new logo

RvR.jpg

Rockstar's parent company, Take-Two, has filed trademark dispute against Remedy's new logo, which was unveiled to the public back in April of 2023.

Take-Two opened an opposition dispute for Remedy's new logo starting on September 12th, 2023. Even though the Remedy logo was unveiled on April of 2023, the logo itself didn't get filed as a trademark until May of 2023, almost a month later, and while the two logos from Rockstar and Remedy are quite different in design, the one thing that both logos share between is a stylized letter "R", though it still remains to be seen whether this could hold up when the dispute is properly reviewed.

This isn't Take-Two's first outing in a legal battle, as they have been quite active in the legal front, filing for a trademark claim against the popular and Game of the Year winner "It Takes Two" due to the similarities between the game's name and the company's, and some time ago they also sued the developers behind the GTA reverse engineering projects, known formely as "re3" and "reVC".

The dispute currently remains in an "opposition" state, with the period for the opposition ebeing xtended as of August 8th, 2023 up to September of 2023, and as of today there's still no public ruling from the case.

:arrow: Trademark Dispute #1
:arrow: Trademark Dispute #2

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And they tried to sue the developers of "It Takes Two"?

I gotta wonder if Rockstar just allocates a heap of money to their legal department and they have to find ways to blow it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The unfortunate part of trademark disputes is that once you are granted a trademark, you are *required* to defend it. However dissimilar the two logos may be, both companies are in the video game business and both companies have a logo that prominently features the letter “R”. It may seem trivial, and it probably is trivial, but it is prudent, legally speaking, to file an opposition to demonstrate that you are actually making an effort to prevent brand confusion. Stupid, yes, but there’s often very little wiggle room - failing to adequately protect your trademark may have the consequence of losing it altogether. The logos of Apple Computers and Apple Corps were also dissimilar (one was a drawing of an apple, one was an actual photo of an apple) and it was still litigated, *especially* after Apple Computers entered the music distribution business, in violation of their previous settlement. There is potential for brand confusion, however infinitesimally small, when two businesses with similar logos operate within the same industry. You generally want to avoid that.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's a pirate's favorite letter?

It not be 'R'... me first love be the 'C'!

Since we're apparently having an entire fucking conversation around the letter R I figured I'd lend my relevant contribution as well.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I gotta wonder if Rockstar just allocates a heap of money to their legal department and they have to find ways to blow it.
That is exactly how large corporations operate, they set up multi million dollars 'War Kitty' fund for their legal department for both defensive and offensive lawsuits.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ridiculous
That that back, or you will get a copyright-strike for using a word starting with a R

But for real, did they trademark the letter R or what? Because that's all i see in common between these two logo, the letter R...

Reactions: KiiWii and Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright