Intimidator88

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone rooting their droid 2 or any phone for that matter? If so how does it make it better when you overclock the afterwords? And what happens when i root it like does it have any cons?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overclocking will make your phone faster at the expense of battery life, and perhaps making the processor die prematurely (i.e. making your phone stop working; this probably depends on the extent of overclocking, and probably shouldn't happen noticeably anyway. Probably still last a good few years). And the "cons" of rooting AFAIK are if you're not careful, a malicious app could mess up your phone and steal more info than a malicious app on a non-rooted phone (but if you root correctly, you should have to give permission to any app to "use" the root), and it probably voids your warranty.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah, you would definitely void your warranty. Although you can easily reflash the original firmware and there's no way the repair guy can tell if your phone was ever rooted.

Anyway, rooting is pretty important when it comes to doing a lot of stuff such as taking phone screenshots or backing up app data. It's really recommended you do it, but yeah you have to be careful what you are doing. Don't go modifying system files without knowing what you are doing and don't download apps from dodgy places.

Intimidator88

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How much faster is it though like enough to be worth it?All im worried about is speed not full control and also i got my phone through a plan with phone insu on it would it do anything to that if say maybe i crack my screen and need to replace it through verizons phone insu ?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chrono_Tata said:
Yeah, you would definitely void your warranty. Although you can easily reflash the original firmware and there's no way the repair guy can tell if your phone was ever rooted.
Rooting isn't the same as installing another firmware. While reflashing would undo the root, I think there are other unrooting tools available.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
True but I think unless you cover your track properly the repair guy might notice your phone has been rooted at some point, especially if you have been changing some root files which should otherwise be inaccessible, and voids your warranty. Best to be safe.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land