[Rumour] Microsoft Reportedly Working On New "Streaming Only" Console Codenamed "Scarlett"

Xbox_One_X_Screenshot_05.0.jpg

The recent reports regarding Microsoft are getting more and more interesting by the minute. If murmurs in the industry are to be trusted, the company is currently engaged in designing not one, but two next gen conoles - a stand-alone box as well as a dedicated cloud-based console codenamed "Scarlett". Certain aspects of gameplay such as the controls, collision detection and simple game logic could be processed locally while the bulk of the processing would be offloaded to Microsoft's servers, enabling end-users to purchase a significantly cheaper system at the cost of being always online. Rumour has it that Microsoft has been working hard to diminish the obvious problems springing from lag and managed to provide an acceptable player experience on their new low-power hardware, similarly to how Sony delivers PS3 games over their PS Now streaming service. While not necessarily appealing to hardcore gamers, such a low-cost alternative would provide an entry level gaming device for those who only play a handful of games.

What are your thoughts? Would you trade your stand-alone box for an online only console provided it gave you the same experience at a fraction of the price? Have you ever used any game streaming services? Discuss!

:arrow: Source

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nah. I am a long time Nintendo fan and Sony. I am stick with Sony instead of Microsoft. I have seen some great games from Microsoft that isnt available for Sony but that's fine. Sony has many plenty of great games. Hate Microsoft's console. So ugly design.
Actually for me it is exactly the other way around.
I kind of like the library of Sony's console, but I can't stand the horrible design of the console.
The cheap looking corners and how noisy it gets, and also how uncomfortable the controller is compared to the X1's.
I guess different people, different tastes.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, I really dont understand this whole concept of cloud gaming...
Working in the telecoms industry made me realise, we really cant afford to have a cloud gaming console YET.

I can only speak about the UK. There are several locations in Scotland where they have no or limited access to the internet. Recently I have had a client who spent 100k of his own money to the council to get internet (cables + cabinet) to his street. Even then the street cabinet has limited number of slots so not everyone on that street has internet. We are talking about the UK here...
Some of my colleagues in Scotland take their gaming consoles to friends and family to play online.

Average internet speed in the UK is horrendous in MOST areas.

With 5G in the horizon, this could solve a lot of the issues. Apparently with low latency and faster speeds. But then again, costs...

Last edited by ,
Reactions: DarthDub

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, the console doesn't exist anymore. You're paying for a small box that relies on internet speeds and online capabilities. Plus games. This feels like a stupid move.

And given that the internet infrastructure in the US being garbage and inconsistent, and with many ISPs having bandwidth caps, not a good idea. Streaming only is just plain lazy on the devs' part.

Reactions: DarthDub

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And given that the internet infrastructure in the US being garbage and inconsistent, and with many ISPs having bandwidth caps, not a good idea. Streaming only is just plain lazy on the devs' part.
Yep. I really hope that they either rethink this whole thing or learn from their mistakes the hard way.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
people forget if gaming becomes a streaming service overall all gaming pc will die, because what is the point of having the best pc with best cpu and gpu if its streaming its locked on the side in resolution and FPS, so the entire pc master race will die becuase they wont have games that look better by having better pc parts lol.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
> Streaming only console.

bc1.jpg

There's nothing more to say about it. It's the most retarded idea ever if it's true. It will bomb more than Ouya and Ataribox.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
people forget if gaming becomes a streaming service overall all gaming pc will die, because what is the point of having the best pc with best cpu and gpu if its streaming its locked on the side in resolution and FPS, so the entire pc master race will die becuase they wont have games that look better by having better pc parts lol.
Premium gaming vs. Budget gaming.
The premium side of it will never die.
It will still be as digital only as it is nowadays on pc, perhaps even with subscription plans etc. But the 16K 240FPS gaming of tomorrow sure will still sell.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Premium gaming vs. Budget gaming.
The premium side of it will never die.
It will still be as digital only as it is nowadays on pc, perhaps even with subscription plans etc. But the 16K 240FPS gaming of tomorrow sure will still sell.
if consoles will gain millions with streaming only option the same studios that make games for consoles will just do the same for games on the pc, srs why would ubisoft or EA or any company that makes console games ,release games streamed on console and not on pc, they will just do the same just need to had afew more servers and have everything set up already, and then can rent you the games per month and never sell you.

If people say games will turn into netfilx type of service, on your pc you dont download the movie to see it you stream it it will be the same, you subscribe and then you pay monthly to play it.

but like i said if streaming becomes the norm and the exception would be full digital downloads,then most AAA games will be streaming only even on pc and then every company that makes gpu and cpus will slowly go out of business in a couple of years.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if consoles will gain millions with streaming only option the same studios that make games for consoles will just do the same for games on the pc, srs why would ubisoft or EA or any company that makes console games ,release games streamed on console and not on pc, they will just do the same just need to had afew more servers and have everything set up already, and then can rent you the games per month and never sell you.

If people say games will turn into netfilx type of service, on your pc you dont download the movie to see it you stream it it will be the same, you subscribe and then you pay monthly to play it.

but like i said if streaming becomes the norm and the exception would be full digital downloads,then most AAA games will be streaming only even on pc and then every company that makes gpu and cpus will slowly go out of business in a couple of years.
They can still rent games to you and never sell them through subscription plans like Xbox Pass, and I think that's the way they'll go for the premium market.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They can still rent games to you and never sell them through subscription plans like Xbox Pass, and I think that's the way they'll go for the premium market.
people are saying streaming is the future, if streaming is the future than pc gamers have no future basically, now that you see what implications streaming services can do to pc development your already trying to find other options and arent liking the streaming mandatory service?

srs if streaming is the thing then pc developers will die since a simple cpu and gpu is all you need, you wont need a 2000$ cpu+gpu combo since you wont be able to make the game look better, i can see the streaming services having several payment plans where you pay more for more resolution and fps and such.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
people are saying streaming is the future, if streaming is the future than pc gamers have no future basically, now that you see what implications streaming services can do to pc development your already trying to find other options and arent liking the streaming mandatory service?

srs if streaming is the thing then pc developers will die since a simple cpu and gpu is all you need, you wont need a 2000$ cpu+gpu combo since you wont be able to make the game look better, i can see the streaming services having several payment plans where you pay more for more resolution and fps and such.
Not really.
You should try to take this objectively, that's what I do. I think you're confused in a fundamental point: I'm not taking sides, I really don't like the idea of streaming in general, but I am trying to be as objective as possible to see where the future goes. I think putting feels into it will make my assessment of what will happen really biased and imprecise.
If PC gaming dies then it is the way it is, its only that I don't think it will die, because I think the market of premium gaming will still be very profitable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how would you mod a streaming game? you have no assets...
You don't mod the streamed games (though I suppose with some of the real time video processing and analysis I am seeing nowadays...) you either make new open source engines, mod existing games or otherwise do things to make games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :wacko: