Gadgetguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all,

I have somehow semi bricked my Wii. There is currently a US 4.2 firmware on it - but the system is 4.2 EU.

So, understandably the system menu does not start and I get the opera error instead.

First I tried to use a game which I think has 4.3 on it, to update the wii to the correct (US) 4.3: the game is Metroid - M. It did not work - the game freezes

Then I tried to download the system menu WAD (RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v481.wad) - using NUSDownloader. I was able to download it, but when I applied it with Dop-mii it completely bricked my system.

Since I have a NAND backup restoring was easy - but the system menu still does not work.

So, what do I do to get the system menu back?

Is the "RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v481.wad" file the right one? (It seems from NUSDownloader that that is the US 4.2 system menu)? What tool do I use to install it? Which CIOS do I install it to?

I would really appreciate a step by step recommendation (or a pointer to a similar thread...)

Thank you all!

Last edited by Gadgetguy,

Gadgetguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One more thing:

I tried the region changer app - it did not work (the app did not start at all, I just got some error messages); other homebrew works well (USB loader etc.) and games also work well - it is just the system menu that is broken...

I also tried the wad manager app to install the system menu (RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v481) but the app tells me that it is not the version I need. So what do I need?

I am totally lost :(

Last edited by Gadgetguy,

Gadgetguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: I was able to fix it with some more trial and error :)

If anyone is in the same situation, this is what I did:

1. I took the files as described here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modify-any-wii-4-3-below.171901/

2. I copied the 4.3U firmware and system wad to the wad folder on my SD card

3. I used the multi wad installer app - which installed all the wad-s in the wad folder

4. After all the wad-s were installed I rebooted and voila: I was on firmware 4.3U with fully functional system menu :)

All seems to be working perfectly now

Reactions: LiverFox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...