Hacking Question Sending Broken Switch after SX Core Install

mdrb97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a situation here which I hope you have some answers for me :-)

So I gave my switch to a local modder, which installed an SX Core on it. All was well for the 1st day. After playing on it for a while the next day, it started giving me black screens with this error code:

2153-1540

Seems like an audio issue (which didn't happen before the modchip install), and sure enough, most of the time before crashing the audio would get all messed up and then the console displayed the black screen of death. This would happen for about 15 minutes of playing any game (animal crossing, bioshock, etc...)

So I told the modder and he told me to use another sd card, etc... None of this worked, and after crashing a few times, this switch does not boot anymore. I've sent it to the modder so he removed the modchip to see if it worked, and it didn't. The console seems to be dead and doesn't do anything anymore :-/

So my question is the following, what would happen if I sent it to Nintendo for repair? I get that it's out of warranty, and they will probably ask me to pay for a repair (or perhaps a new switch?), how much would that be, and is that even an option?

I'm pretty sure something with the modding process went wrong as I've had the console for about a year and it never crashed like that or had any other problem until the installation of the SX Core.

If you have any information on this it would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

burhansalih

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sound like the Modder screwed your machine and sent it back knowing they screwed it...the working for a day way maybe a fluke... Nintendo will deff charge you for the repair.

mdrb97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sound like the Modder screwed your machine and sent it back knowing they screwed it...the working for a day way maybe a fluke... Nintendo will deff charge you for the repair.

Yeah but since I have no way of proving it...

Yeah they will charge me for sure, but have you got any idea on how much?
Also, how do I go about this? I call them and tell them "hey, I tried to mod my switch and it broke, can I send it to you?" :-P

A bit lost here, sorry :-)

burhansalih

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah but since I have no way of proving it...

Yeah they will charge me for sure, but have you got any idea on how much?
Also, how do I go about this? I call them and tell them "hey, I tried to mod my switch and it broke, can I send it to you?" :-P

A bit lost here, sorry :-)

If they have removed the mod chip and there is no visible signs of a mod then fill out the Nintendo repair form on their site they will ask for the SN and they will quote once they receive the unit.

mdrb97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If they have removed the mod chip and there is no visible signs of a mod then fill out the Nintendo repair form on their site they will ask for the SN and they will quote once they receive the unit.

I didn't open the console, but I'm pretty sure it's not 100% clean and they will know there was a modchip there at some point...

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do me a favor plug in headphones and tell me if error persists

Sounds like he melted the plastic on the speaker wire

MichaelShawJr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, for what they would charge you for a repair, your way better off selling it for parts on eBay and using that money towards a new one. My friend wanted to send his in our of warranty and they wanted like $150. I sold my switch lite wouldn't show anything on the screen, but still booted and had sound for $170 and then bought a new one for $200. This was during the covid switch shortage though so maybe I got a little more money than you would now, but all in all, you would save more money with the new console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...