serious driver issues with a dual boot laptop

Quadrotix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an HP Notebook and It dual boots windows 7 and windows 8.1. Windows 7 cannot use USB ports, wifi or enthernet while Windows 8.1 cannot use wifi but it can use USB ports and ethernet. I have tried tirelessly for hours and hours to try and find the drivers. Please, offer some assistance. I can provide any details necessary

Quadrotix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried that but HP doesn't let you install windows 7 drivers unless you're running windows 7. I can only access the internet (via ethernet) with windows 8.1
Look for the driver of the model on manufacture website, windows 7 doesn't auto install driver.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello.:)

A little more information about your laptop (Model number/Type) maybe helps us for helping you.:)
Thank you.:)
After reading the only Decipherable serial number I came across this laptop which is the same as mine. Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Quadrotix,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Because windows 7 is my favourite OS so it’s my primary. I have windows 8.1 for whenever I need any of the more “modern” features
You do know that you'll have to move to 10 in the very near future, right? Anyway, change your user agent on 8.1 to 7, and HP's site should allow you to download the drivers. Once you have network connectivity, Windows Update will download the rest.

Quadrotix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I won’t have to move to 10. Windows 7 end of support doesn’t phase me.
You do know that you'll have to move to 10 in the very near future, right? Anyway, change your user agent on 8.1 to 7, and HP's site should allow you to download the drivers. Once you have network connectivity, Windows Update will download the rest.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 end of support doesn’t phase me.
Ha. You'll be saying that when you're another statistic of a botnet. You seriously think people aren't holding onto 0days for the day that support ends? 7 is gonna get bombarded to fuck and back because of people like you who think they can survive without security patches. It won't be a matter of going to some sketchy site, or downloading a malicious program. Hackers will be able to Nmap sweep the internet and RCE you.

Quadrotix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ha. You'll be saying that when you're another statistic of a botnet. You seriously think people aren't holding onto 0days for the day that support ends? 7 is gonna get bombarded to fuck and back because of people like you who think they can survive without security patches. It won't be a matter of going to some sketchy site, or downloading a malicious program. Hackers will be able to Nmap sweep the internet and RCE you.
My old laptop has windows vista and has never been attacked by any kindness of malicious software. I’m getting the extended security patches anyway

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello.:)

Did you have success with the drivers ?
Yes!

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
My old laptop has windows vista and has never been attacked by any kindness of malicious software.
And how do you know this? Do you consistently watch a verbose firewall? Even if you did, you now have the SMB exploit that allows hijacking system ports in order to bypass firewalls. Like, unless you have ransomware, it won't ever be obvious if you're infected. Anti-virus detection is also easily bypassed with cryptography and obfuscation, so that can't be trusted either.

Quadrotix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And how do you know this? Do you consistently watch a verbose firewall? Even if you did, you now have the SMB exploit that allows hijacking system ports in order to bypass firewalls. Like, unless you have ransomware, it won't ever be obvious if you're infected. Anti-virus detection is also easily bypassed with cryptography and obfuscation, so that can't be trusted either.
Well maybe I do have some sort of bot net on my machine. Who knows? But for the 2 years it’s been unsupported, nothing has seemed off about it and I can do all my usual tasks. It isn’t causing any harm to me, so I see no need to upgrade. If something did happen, I would take every possible step to remove it. As long as you have a strong antivirus, strong firewall and common sense, you should be fine. It has just as much chance as being part of a bot net as nearly every other system

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have a strong antivirus, strong firewall and common sense, you should be fine.
I explained above why these things don't matter. On an unsupported Windows version, attackers can remotely get in by using unpatched flaws. You don't have to download a payload.
But for the 2 years it’s been unsupported, nothing has seemed off about it and I can do all my usual tasks. It isn’t causing any harm to me, so I see no need to upgrade.
Is it safe to assume that you don't pay your own bills? Botnets drive up power and bandwidth consumption exponentially depending on what they do. Is it also safe to assume that you don't have any online accounts that you care about, and that you don't have anyone else on your network that could be compromised by your vulnerable systems? Because those are wide open.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Quadrotix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I explained above why these things don't matter. On an unsupported Windows version, attackers can remotely get in by using unpatched flaws. You don't have to download a payload.

Is it safe to assume that you don't pay your own bills? Botnets drive up power and bandwidth consumption exponentially depending on what they do. Is it also safe to assume that you don't have any online accounts that you care about, and that you don't have anyone else on your network that could be compromised by your vulnerable systems? Because those are wide open.
I think I am quite safe because literally nothing has happened and I am quite comfortable with my computers and their operating systems. My internet is secured with a custom password, I have an antivirus, a firewall and common sense. Maybe, I’ll get hacked someday through my WiFi or through a hijacked port. Even so, all my data is backed up and I don’t even have a bank account so I don’t have to worry about financial stuff. When worst comes to worst, you can’t beat a good reinstall

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: what the fuck is that dawg 💀😭 +2