Shenmue: Reclaiming The Path (fan game) trailer

The creator behind the popular Shenmue Dreams of Saturn fangame, George Kitchen, has just dropped a trailer for his latest project, titled "Shenmue: Reclaiming the Path".

This fan made game follows the events of Shenmue 2 and lets players explore the previously unreachable region of Guilin as a new protagonist.

Explore the new villages of Bailu and Shouzu as you prepare to confront the notorious Chiyou men, the same crew responsible for Ryo Hazuki's father's demise in the original games.

Shenmue: Reclaiming The Path will be available on PC on September 16th and will feature fully implemented subtitles and controller support.

:arrow: Source

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks really impressive. I've had Shenmue I&II sitting in my Steam collection, and I STILL need to play through both. Maybe one day, I'll be able to judge the third game.
3 is pretty bleak. I've (shamelessly) watched a few let's plays of it and it's really hard to not get the NPCs in the very first area to not present dialogue weirdly out of order. It's like they didn't use a proper state machine for what they would say and instead just kinda pull randomly from a pool.

At the very least, the beginning of 1 jam-packed with soul and makes the series feel like it's full of potential. That opening is almost certainly the only reason why the third game even exists.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Glad i've been holding off with the third game then. I thought people who hated Shenmue 3 hates the other Shenmue too but apparently there's new features that makes the third game bad.

On release you had to eat constantly or game over, much later they patched that, so is only a few times a day but the damage was done.

Fights don't give XP, only minigames do.

Instead of finally ending things, nope the creator wants like a dozen games more.

Forced QTAs whose timing is really bad.

The Yakuza/Like a Dragon games may not be perfect but some of them are good and are way better that Shemue 3.

Reactions: hybori

hybori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
On release you had to eat constantly or game over, much later they patched that, so is only a few times a day but the damage was done.

Fights don't give XP, only minigames do.

Instead of finally ending things, nope the creator wants like a dozen games more.

Forced QTAs whose timing is really bad.

The Yakuza/Like a Dragon games may not be perfect but some of them are good and are way better that Shemue 3.
are there any mods to make the game be better? like maybe having exps through fights? i don't see the creator making shenmue 4 with how much shenmue 3 sold so it's kinda strange he wants to keep continuing the shenmue games like Yakuza

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there any mods to make the game be better? like maybe having exps through fights? i don't see the creator making shenmue 4 with how much shenmue 3 sold so it's kinda strange he wants to keep continuing the shenmue games like Yakuza
Yeah, the fact that it took nearly two decades for the third entry to get greenlit should have been a sign, but the Kickstarter made over $6 million USD. (Goal: $2 million USD) Back in the mid-2010's, people thought Kickstarter campaigns would save everything.

According to Sega Retro, Yu Suzuki would have been able to end the series on Shenmue IV with five entries being preferable. So, fans waited 20 years for another 1/4 of a story. I'm guessing Shenmue: The Animation didn't offer any resolution either.

I'm not sure why the game didn't end up in a much better state. Like Mighty No. 9, if Shenmue III had been great, it would have created more opportunities.

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Shenmue 3 is that fans waited 20 years for the story to be continued and it kind of... didn't.
Shenmue 3 doesn't do anything with its plot. Nothing. It's completely disposable. You can skip from 2 straight to 4 when it comes out in 2045 and you won't miss out on anything.

hybori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, the fact that it took nearly two decades for the third entry to get greenlit should have been a sign, but the Kickstarter made over $6 million USD. (Goal: $2 million USD) Back in the mid-2010's, people thought Kickstarter campaigns would save everything.

According to Sega Retro, Yu Suzuki would have been able to end the series on Shenmue IV with five entries being preferable. So, fans waited 20 years for another 1/4 of a story. I'm guessing Shenmue: The Animation didn't offer any resolution either.

I'm not sure why the game didn't end up in a much better state. Like Mighty No. 9, if Shenmue III had been great, it would have created more opportunities.
I remembered that shenmue kickstarter blowing up at the side with mighty no. 9 and when shenmue 3 came out, it didn't have any amount of hype. For the Shenmue anime I heard season 2 was cancelled.

So not only the mechanics in 3 is bad, but it isn't a continuation of the first two games. Basically, a whole filler. Maybe it's a good thing I won't need to play it then

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remembered that shenmue kickstarter blowing up at the side with mighty no. 9 and when shenmue 3 came out, it didn't have any amount of hype. For the Shenmue anime I heard season 2 was cancelled.

So not only the mechanics in 3 is bad, but it isn't a continuation of the first two games. Basically, a whole filler. Maybe it's a good thing I won't need to play it then
Whoa, that must have been tough to handle. I can't imagine being so invested and waiting so long only to have that happen. @Xalusc said the same thing about the game being filler. Did the final game's graphics at least do the series justice? I recall comments about the models/textures being sub-par.

At least Koji Igarashi delivered a solid Metroidvania with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night along with two Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games.

hybori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Whoa, that must have been tough to handle. I can't imagine being so invested and waiting so long only to have that happen. @Xalusc said the same thing about the game being filler. Did the final game's graphics at least do the series justice? I recall comments about the models/textures being sub-par.

At least Koji Igarashi delivered a solid Metroidvania with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night along with two Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games.
To be fair I did backed it up but I didn't play it after seeing people even Shenmue fans not liking the game. People were saying stuff like "Don't waste time backing up games. And they show examples like Mighty No. 9 and Shenmue 3. Definitely not Bloodstained since it's an ACTUAL solid game

Checked out what Yu Suzuki is doing and his latest game is Air Twister. Heard it was okay

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair I did backed it up but I didn't play it after seeing people even Shenmue fans not liking the game. People were saying stuff like "Don't waste time backing up games. And they show examples like Mighty No. 9 and Shenmue 3. Definitely not Bloodstained since it's an ACTUAL solid game

Checked out what Yu Suzuki is doing and his latest game is Air Twister. Heard it was okay
Yeah, I backed Mighty No. 9, so I know how it is. Seriously, they were asking for $900,000 USD, and they got nearly $4 million USD. What did they do with that money?

This reminds me, I backed Project Scissors: NightCry, but I still haven't played it yet! Talk about late to the game.

The crowdfunding surge wasn't going to last long, but it would have been good to get some better results from the first few hugely successful campaigns. Once games like Mighty No. 9 hit, public opinion shifted quickly.

I just checked out YsNet's website, and Air Twister is the only other game besides Shenmue III. At least they're still in business, so we'll have to see what they do next.

Reactions: hybori and raxadian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far