Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
whine whine whine

Indeed, suck less.

The key to this game is to continually fuse the strongest possible demon available to you. That plus a little grinding (always do the free battle a least once to crack some skill) will see you through most battles pretty easily.

Don't like grinding? Too bad.

The better you are, the less you have to grind, really. So far i'm finding you get a ton of macca just from doing story battles. Which is enough to buy demons to use, one story battle then I fuse and buy more. So far so good. Beat day 2 without going to free battle yet.
Granted I think playing the crap out of DS1 greeeeatly helps me formulate strategies with what little demons are available so early on. The biggest thing I had to overcome is that I always hated when my demons died. I tried as much as I could to avoid that, and I never had backups since my strategy was "don't die". But once I finally got over that and realized death is pretty much inevitable, i've had a much easier time of things, and plenty of backup demons.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how you just ignore my post and replace everything with "whine" and tell me to suck less. I would throw some words at your high and mighty ass, but it would most likely lead me to getting warned/banned. So i'm just not gonna bother. Not worth my time.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love how you just ignore my post and replace everything with "whine" and tell me to suck less. I would throw some words at your high and mighty ass, but it would most likely lead me to getting warned/banned. So i'm just not gonna bother. Not worth my time.

Good idea. I don't typically lose arguments anyway so it saves you the trouble of wasting your time on fruitless debates.

Really all you're whining about are controlled variables. 1-3 damage away from killing something? Well, expect it. Considering you and your demons hit virtually the same thing every time until you level up and become stronger, it's REALLY not hard to predict if an attack will or wont kill something. Relying on criticals is a waste of time, and trying to kill something just barely (which tends to lead to it surviving...by 1-5 damage) is also bad. Though, you have to grin and bear it considering it's inevitably going to happen.
The game isn't throwing anything UNFAIR at you. It's not like your attacks do a wild range of damage. The damage range is tightly grouped and easy to predict. You just need to pay attention to what you're doing instead of blindly sending out attacks.

EDIT: Fuck it's late and I don't think controlled variable is the term I was going for. Whatever.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good idea. I don't typically lose arguments anyway so it saves you the trouble of wasting your time on fruitless debates.

Really all you're whining about are controlled variables. 1-3 damage away from killing something? Well, expect it. Considering you and your demons hit virtually the same thing every time until you level up and become stronger, it's REALLY not hard to predict if an attack will or wont kill something. Relying on criticals is a waste of time, and trying to kill something just barely (which tends to lead to it surviving...by 1-5 damage) is also bad. Though, you have to grin and bear it considering it's inevitably going to happen.
The game isn't throwing anything UNFAIR at you. It's not like your attacks do a wild range of damage. The damage range is tightly grouped and easy to predict. You just need to pay attention to what you're doing instead of blindly sending out attacks.

EDIT: Fuck it's late and I don't think controlled variable is the term I was going for. Whatever.

It's not the fact i would lose the argument, just that it's pointless :P.

Well the 1-3 damage to winning thing annoys me because it just seems like its another way for the game to let the enemy get another turn, or the inevitable healing, i'm seeing way to much of the enemy using Dia or whatever that other move is that starts with a G, the one that heals the whole party randomly or something, forgot what its called. It's like everyone has either of those moves. Usually i go from "oh sweet, i can kill it on the next turn to ">:(" its back to full HP. Though honestly i'm more so basing my annoyance on the 1st game and the babysit haru missions then the 2nd game. I still want to play the game more.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Anyone who's finding the game too hard / is annoyed by grinding a lot should just use an exp multiplier via cheats - not that I'm encouraging cheating or anything, but as for me, Shin Megami Tensei games usually have a little higher difficulty than I'm comfortable with, so for SMT games (except Persona, since those let you chose the difficulty, but then again, technically those are only labeled as SMT outside of Japan...) I always use a x4 exp multiplier since that doesn't overlevel me but instead makes me level up just the right amount to be able to survive most battles and keeps me from getting frustrated.

Other than that: Fuse, fuse, fuse. Like the others said, having strong demons is important and since demons need much more exp to lvl up it's not worth the trouble of keeping them for a long time (not until you get demons in the 30+ lvl range with decent elemental resistances and skills), instead you should fuse as much as you can whenever you gain a level or two and more demons become available to you. Also: Buy lots of demons from the auctions to unlock more, it helps a lot. I'd recommend doing as many free battles as possible since cracking skills is pretty important to make your characters useful.

That being said, I hope everyone can just relax a little and stop bitching at each other.. it's just a game. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who's finding the game too hard / is annoyed by grinding a lot should just use an exp multiplier via cheats - not that I'm encouraging cheating or anything, but as for me, Shin Megami Tensei games usually have a little higher difficulty than I'm comfortable with, so for SMT games (except Persona, since those let you chose the difficulty, but then again, technically those are only labeled as SMT outside of Japan...) I always use a x4 exp multiplier since that doesn't overlevel me but instead makes me level up just the right amount to be able to survive most battles and keeps me from getting frustrated.

Other than that: Fuse, fuse, fuse. Like the others said, having strong demons is important and since demons need much more exp to lvl up it's not worth the trouble of keeping them for a long time (not until you get demons in the 30+ lvl range with decent elemental resistances and skills), instead you should fuse as much as you can whenever you gain a level or two and more demons become available to you. Also: Buy lots of demons from the auctions to unlock more, it helps a lot. I'd recommend doing as many free battles as possible since cracking skills is pretty important to make your characters useful.

That being said, I hope everyone can just relax a little and stop bitching at each other.. it's just a game. :)

So far it seems all i can really make are crap demons i guess, not sure. Only on day 2

To lighten the mood i have included this gif

ad2a879a44ba234d3515f452dbd06f27.gif

Reactions: 2 people

Hyunckel

Undead army captain
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Having played the game on my r4 on the latest Wood, I think I may have found the AP. When you battle with Dubhe at teh end of the first day when you escape point, Daichi is meant drive a van into Dubhe to take out the majority of his HP and your objectives change from escaping to taking out Dubhe. However it that doesn't happen with my setup and I'm left having to take out Dubhe without Daichivangate.

THIS was the AP on the jap version. You ended in an infinite loop of the boss (with the truck never coming to the rescue) ...

Maybe we can pass this spot on DeSmume or No$gba and play the follow up on Wood R4... I hope so.

Rudolph will come with the AP patch soon enough.

vallum

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well the 1-3 damage to winning thing annoys me because it just seems like its another way for the game to let the enemy get another turn, or the inevitable healing, i'm seeing way to much of the enemy using Dia or whatever that other move is that starts with a G, the one that heals the whole party randomly or something, forgot what its called. It's like everyone has either of those moves. Usually i go from "oh sweet, i can kill it on the next turn to "> :(" its back to full HP. Though honestly i'm more so basing my annoyance on the 1st game and the babysit haru missions then the 2nd game. I still want to play the game more.

What would YOU do if you (or your friends) were low on HP? You'd heal yourself/them, of course. So, isn't it pretty fair that the CPU can do the same if they have the necessary skills? At least they don't target only the leader of a group to end a battle quickly. :P

Really, it wouldn't be as fun (and strategic) as it is if the enemies only used crap skills and attacked blindly...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So far it seems all i can really make are crap demons i guess, not sure. Only on day 2

To lighten the mood i have included this gif

If you want an easier time of finding demons for fusion, use "search" and leave it at default settings. It'll list off every available demon (I think you just need at least 1 demon that has to be fused to make it). It lists off every demon from level 1 to like...+3 of your main characters level. A lot better than just blindly picking two demons to fuse.
It's fairly useful early on, but it's incredibly useful later when you have tons of demons with prerequisite demons you've never heard of before.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3rd day

Beat ghost Q. Damn that thing is cheap. 3(?) attack range. Double action every turn. No weaknesses and fast as hell.
Thank goodness for save and load.

Juugo died : ( I guess I should feel guilty but I really don't. I don't like it when I can't see a person's eyes :P

Double up + chaos wave is....unbelievably good.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, what are people's favorite demons?

Mine's Ammy and Loki. I always use these two on the protagonist back in DS1.

Sigh, have to get max relationship with Otome to get Ammy in this game. Ah well, she seems like a decent magical tank.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one DOES seem like they upped the difficulty a bit. The enemy ai is more strategic to be specific.
Early on, it seems important to exploit their elemental weakness and try to cancel their extra turns. This is a good thing imho. Having to actually think about your next move rather than your physical force overpowering everything brings a layer of depth these games should have anyway.
I personally favor the demons that are either cute or look evil. All others are just fodder for me. I loved using lucifer in the first one. :)

zavlin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn, am i not doing a good job with the social link questions or does it take a long time to level them? Im up to 18:00 on day two and i dont have anyone to rank 2 yet.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My favourite demon is Mara... XD But I can see why he wouldn't be included, his design would have probably driven up the rating of the game. :> (As it would have for the first Devil Survivor, so they didn't include it, but this one stayed in: http://images.wikia....3/AriochSMT.jpg so a giant vagina is fine but a giant tentacle penis isnt... XD)

but besides Mara I also prefer either the cute / pretty or the bad ass looking ones. :>

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Hilarious :rofl2: