Shopping for a Wii U. Can I avoid faulty memory units?

jackspratski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking for a WiiU to mod.

I am scared of buying an aging console that will start to get that dreaded memory error and eventually brick itself.

I read that the white units have different memory that is not affected by the memory problems.

Is this true? Should I only be looking at white units?

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could do that if you're okay with the system memory being just 8GB (which also holds the system files, severly limiting the games you could install to internal memory due to size), but to be fair eventually all eMMC memory will die out once it hits its maximum RW cycles (just like SSDs and other flash memory).

I mean, I got the black unit since right after the launch period, and to this day it still is working without issues.

jackspratski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could do that if you're okay with the system memory being just 8GB (which also holds the system files, severly limiting the games you could install to internal memory due to size).
I don't mind this limitation because I plan to run backups on an external HDD.

I'm just wondering if there is any truth to this 8gb storage vs 32gb storage rumour.

If it's true the 32 gb units memory is flawed, then it should be avoided if I'm putting money down today.

If this is not true, then like you said, they're all gonna fail and it really doesn't matter. I'm scheduled to pickup a black unit today and wondering if I should abort and get a white one (which is also for sale locally, but slightly higher priced).

I'll pay the higher price for the piece of mind it's not gonna brick itself in a few months. These systems are aging at this point.

Can anyone chime in and say if there is truth to this? Or is it bunk?

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the solution for you.

Buy two or three 8GB units.
Use one until it bricks.
Backup your saves regularly.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I´ve neve heard something like selfbricking, or difference between 8gb/32gb version. If iam wrong, someone please correct me. Both version internal memory (Nand) is a MLC flashchip where each cell can take up to around 5-10.000 writecycles, then its read only. So in result in worst case related to your question, you get a weared out one because you dont know how much its used or able to check it like on USB/Sata flashdrives. So normaly best is, only install main stuff once to it and everything else to SDcard or the USD-drive.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: elk1007

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One could replace the physical NAND chip in the future and flash a backup of it to a new chip.
I don't know if it's feasible as of yet but in theory it should work.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I´ve neve heard something like selfbricking, or difference between 8gb/32gb version. If iam wrong, someone please correct me.
Hynix MLC chips die a lot lately. Here's some statistic from GaryOderNichts:
Started a list to keep track of dead MLCs, since I started the list there were:
7 broken HYNIX
1 broken Samsung
0 broken Toshiba
@jackspratski AFAIK No 8GB units with Hynix chips have been found yet. This isn't a guarantee that there are none through.

jackspratski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hynix MLC chips die a lot lately. Here's some statistic from GaryOderNichts:

@jackspratski AFAIK No 8GB units with Hynix chips have been found yet. This isn't a guarantee that there are none through.
Interesting. Do you know which brand is found in the 8gb version?

So there could be some truth to the rumor if the flaw is found in the Hynix chips. Also, is maybe that Hynix is the most common therefore should be expected to find more broken out in the wild?

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay guys, it's not really a flaw. Some of the chips simply seem to be of slightly lower quality which means their max RW cycles also are lower, and thus you hit that max earlier and when you do it's game over 100% r.i.p. chip

cga8086

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 black wiiU

my first pristine condition even with the transparent plastic on the case, has a SAMSUNG MLC
AND THE serial is FW40159XXXX and the production date is 2012/9/19

then i have anothr black WiiU, that has a hynix problematic chip
and the serial is FW10246XXXX

i hope this info helps you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...