Should I install Windows 7 or XP on my mac?

The title

• Windows 7

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Windows Xp

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
What are you planning on doing?

If it’s just browse the web or compatible games I’d honestly be looking at Linux.

Neither OS is officially supported now and even W7 support is getting dropped e.g. Chrome last January. Only reason I’d install these now is for specific compatibility reasons e.g. old utilities.

Reactions: The Catboy

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
What are you planning on doing?

If it’s just browse the web or compatible games I’d honestly be looking at Linux.

Neither OS is officially supported now and even W7 support is getting dropped e.g. Chrome last January. Only reason I’d install these now is for specific compatibility reasons e.g. old utilities.
Well I dont really want to do Linux cause it's complicated and all. I actually love old tech and I want to use it as a household desktop for basic non work related things. Especially since I already have a modern laptop

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I dont really want to do Linux cause it's complicated and all. I actually love old tech and I want to use it as a household desktop for basic non work related things. Especially since I already have a modern laptop

I actually setup an old computer to run XP/7/10/Linux.

Ironically I’ve found XP/7 have become slightly more complex to setup over time, to just do updates on XP you have to use a proxy server and I couldn’t enable Microsoft update in W7 because the page wouldn’t load.

I suppose W7 is going to be better for certain things as it’s the most recent, although I stand by my original post.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Ironically I’ve found XP/7 have become slightly more complex to setup over time, to just do updates on XP you have to use a proxy server and I couldn’t enable Microsoft update in W7 because the page wouldn’t load.

I suppose W7 is going to be better for certain things as it’s the most recent, although I stand by my original post.
IIRC, Windows 7 doesn't need Microsoft Update. There is a simple checkbox to "receive updates for other Microsoft products the same way you receive updates for Windows" which was what Microsoft Update did anyway.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP

What do you mean by updates? Arent they both unsupported software?
IIRC, Windows 7 doesn't need Microsoft Update. There is a simple checkbox to "receive updates for other Microsoft products the same way you receive updates for Windows" which was what Microsoft Update did anyway.
I guess I'm with 7 then
Windows 7 probably, always fun to run windows on macs, and macs on windows.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by updates? Arent they both unsupported software?

I mean the updates released before MS stopped making them.

AFAIK/IIRC this doesn’t exist on a fresh W7 install and instead you have to follow a url in IE:
Reference

Someone in this topic claims a fix but I am unable to test this as of posting.

You’re method does seem to work for W8+ though on a fresh install.

edit:
Here’s a link to the stock windows settings page on W7:
https://pos-x.com/support-article/microsoft-windows-update-fix-slow-updates-windows-7/

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Linux really isn’t that complicated these days, especially with Distros like Linux Mint, Elementary OS, and Zorin OS focusing on making Linux more beginner-friendly

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You best choice is hardware dependant, because there are some configurations where Windows 7 graphic enhancements won't work (if you care about them).

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like the new pfp btw :)

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I mean the updates released before MS stopped making them.

AFAIK/IIRC this doesn’t exist on a fresh W7 install and instead you have to follow a url in IE:
Reference

Someone in this topic claims a fix but I am unable to test this as of posting.

You’re method does seem to work for W8+ though on a fresh install.

edit:
Here’s a link to the stock windows settings page on W7:
https://pos-x.com/support-article/microsoft-windows-update-fix-slow-updates-windows-7/
Maybe that checkbox was added in SP1? I swear it was there on a fresh install of SP1.
Edit: I might be confusing it with the recommended updates checkbox though, now that I think about it.
Why would anyone pick old XP over PerfectOS Windows7?
I remember 7 being overall faster than XP even at 1GB of RAM.

Win7 is the way to go.
1GB is kinda low, I'd recommend 2 GB for Windows 7.
I remember people were running Windows 7 on the ancient, 1st gen Eee PCs (after upgrading the stock 512 MB of RAM to 2 GB) and saying it ran faster than XP. Never tried it myself though, considering the model I had only had 4 GB internal eMMC and SD cards were still expensive. Win7 just demanded too much storage. And XP was running everything I needed it to.
Hey guys, I wanna know which one would be better to install on an iMac 2008 (early). Thanks
TBH, I can't recommend either because they are no longer receiving support. If you connect it to the internet, you're vulnerable to attacks. It's also worth noting that the latest versions of browsers won't even run on XP AFAIK, so you'd be even more vulnerable if you went with that.
If you can't/don't want to run at least Windows 10 because of driver issues or whatever, go with Linux or stick with OS X.
Worth noting that Linux generally runs much better on older hardware than Windows does. Even older versions of Windows run poorly on period-correct hardware if you try to run modern applications (or websites) on them. Programs just got bloated over time. It seems to be a lot better on Linux (if you pick a lightweight DE/WM)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: AncientBoi

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
w7 all the way. I had fun theming on that os, and get Firefox. Unless you are on a vmachine (or a vdrive) ;-D
I prefer Firefox for the extensions and Opera for the speed dial.
w7 for theming and wxp oGen programs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol