Homebrew Significant updates for all Nintendo consoles and online services imminent.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
On the other side, Nintendo is the only one this gen who allows not only purchasing last gen digital games from current gen consoles, but also make a full transfer from your last gen machine and play your whole digital library with no issue.

I always found funny how this is completely overlooked.

Last edited by Osakasan,
Reactions: BurningDesire

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though I am none too happy with the situation the radical difference in hardware does count for a lot, and if the alternative was to continue to hobble themselves with awful hardware like the Wii U then I can accept some changes. Similarly between Sony's cross buy stuff and some of the upcoming xbone efforts (to say nothing of the broader stuff MS is doing with live across all platforms) then it is more than a fig leaf effort.

"I always found the FCs a minor annoyance, maybe because i'm not much of an online player aside from a few games on PC and console. It worked alright"
Congrats I guess, I can not call Nintendo's efforts at online anything but amateurish and pretty anti consumer at times. That it stood up to light usage means surprisingly little. From where I sit the only thing defensible about Nintendo's online stuff is it is free.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Why the Wii and the DSi though, those are dead systems, and no longer have online gaming support. Seems pointless for those systems...

Purchases done via Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop are still registered in our Club Nintendo Account (or at least what was the CN account) Given that Nintendo closed the CN and are aiming for a new fidelity program it's obvious that Wii and DSi shots must go under maintenance.

Online gaming is dead for DSi and Wii, but their shops isn't, and are still accesible from Wii U and 3DS.

FOR DEAD SYSTEMS WITH NO ONLINE PLAY? That makes entirely no sense.

It does, if you understand that online play and virtual shops are entirely different matters. Wii Shop Channel is the only way to access the rich Virtual Console catalogue that Wii has, in fact.

Last edited by Osakasan,
Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purchases done via Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop are still registered in our Club Nintendo Account (or at least what was the CN account) Given that Nintendo closed the CN and are aiming for a new fidelity program it's obvious that Wii and DSi shots must go under maintenance.

Online gaming is dead for DSi and Wii, but their shops isn't, and are still accesible from Wii U and 3DS.
True! I forgot about that.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can still access the Wii Shop channel from the Wii itself...not sure about the Dsi as I no longer have one.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Online gaming is dead for DSi and Wii, but their shops isn't, and are still accesible from Wii U and 3DS. Wii Shop Channel is the only way to access the rich Virtual Console catalogue that Wii has, in fact.
The fact that the DSi eShop was still functional on 3DS and the Wii eShop on vWii had escaped me. Thanks for making me understand. ^_^

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
The fact that the DSi eShop was still functional on 3DS and the Wii eShop on vWii had escaped me. Thanks for making me understand. ^_^

Someone had to do it now that Iwata is gone :,(

To be precise, is not exactly that DSi shop can be accessed from 3DS, but its entire catalogue is aviable on the 3DS eShop. I guess both are in the same servers, DSi Shop got moved to 3DS eShop server or 3DS eShop acts as a client for downloading DSi titles. In any case, DSi games are playable on 3DS and Wii digital games are playable on Wii U via vWii, so i guess Nintendo didn't want to kill that source of income - And i'm inclined to think that Wii Shop Channel is still giving them money, since has lots of exclusive games and a wide selection of Virtual Console titles.

Reactions: BurningDesire

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Wow, so luckily I have a Wii U that I allow updates on and one that I don't.

But my 3dses im not entirely willing to update. Wonder if we'll be able to play online without the update, or if Gateway can figure out how to get it to work in emuNAND.

Only really care about playing Triforce Heroes online.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm...
Is a fully integrated, cross platform account system across all 4 platforms too much to hope for? Probably. But it sure would be great.

2 platforms. Since the Nintendo+DeNA announcements it has always been 3DS and Wii U (NX too of course) DSi and Wii shops are there because they could be linked to Club Nintendo accounts before its closing.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
2 platforms. Since the Nintendo+DeNA announcements it has always been 3DS and Wii U (NX too of course) DSi and Wii shops are there because they could be linked to Club Nintendo accounts before its closing.
They could have upgraded the DSi and Wii shops to use NNIDs. But, it's probably too much to hope for.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
They could have upgraded the DSi and Wii shops to use NNIDs. But, it's probably too much to hope for.

I agree, but if i'm right it may not be that simple.

I mean, DSi and Wii could have been aready updated to the NNID account system, but for some reason they didn't while 3DS, wich was build with no account system in mind, did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag