• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No real chance of me buying one but any word on the snes compatibility. Even general compatibility without too much in the special chips arena would be good.

Likewise any notable exceptions for the nes emu?

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If this does everything it promises and you are looking for a portable media player that plays games this looks like a pretty good choice. I like how it supports many videofiles
smile.gif
85 bucks, not cheap but it's not that expensive either.

Martiin said:
-with 4gb.. you can probably put all the games ever made for older consoles. Excluding DS and [not all] GBA.

Don't be mistaken, the entire GoodSNES alone is almost 10 gigs, but then again that includes all roms for all regions and languages and probably includes some useless dumps as well, 6766 roms in total. If you go for just the US roms however you probably could.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Side note: I've got what is supposed to be a US-only SNES Goodset (though it's missing Yoshi's Island which is rather curious) that comes out to 560 MB when compressed with 7zip, and the 7zip program reports that it's just short of 1 GB when uncompressed. My NES Goodset that includes all regions, languages, lots of hacked versions etc. also takes up just a bit less than 1 GB of space. So I don't think you'd be able to fit all older Goodsets on there, but you could fit a good number.

The question then would be, how well does it handle having tons and tons of files in a single folder? On the DS this is known to cause some issues, so how well would this device handle such a situation?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a specification chart that is comparing it to the PSP. It seems the thing is clocked at 400mhz:

c0876f86.jpg

It also seems to support flash. But it doesn't seem to be adept at 3D. There's currently a Silent Hill like game called 7 Days. It looks almost exactly like a fairly good-looking PS1 game:

It looks kind of cool, but I don't know. The system itself looks like a neat idea. There needs to be some more reviews and info on the emulators. If it can play Mario RPG at about full speed, I imagine it would have little trouble with anything else. It's better priced than the GP2X at any rate.

Tozarian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Looks a tad too shady for me, I'll have to wait until I can here something from a person who bought it. I'm more interested in the Pandora.

stupid2ass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting Idea. 320x240, is that good enough for snes emulation (i.e. for reading text in RPGs)?
If reviewers say it can handle emulation at full speed (or close), I'll probably jump in
smile.gif

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...this just seems too good to be true. There's got to be something wrong with it. I guess time will tell.

Even if it is good though I probably won't be getting it. The Pandora can do everything this is claiming to do plus about a billion other things! Of course the price is significantly higher (last I heard it was around $350) but in my opinion it's worth it!

EDIT: I also think a black model would be sexier, but that's just me
tongue.gif

Dingoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NoCAshBob said:
If it's upgradable and pulls a decent upgrade track records, hells yeah I would buy it, no decision, but if it's stuck at whatever firmware it ships with or support is lean, forget about it.
It's had 3 firmware versions since release late last year, plus unofficial firmware releases from the community.

If you buy from a local dealer rather than from China, you will get support (and a warranty).

Posts merged

QUOTE(Sportsmaniac1322 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:18 AM) Hmm...this just seems too good to be true. There's got to be something wrong with it. I guess time will tell.

Even if it is good though I probably won't be getting it. The Pandora can do everything this is claiming to do plus about a billion other things! Of course the price is significantly higher (last I heard it was around $350) but in my opinion it's worth it!

EDIT: I also think a black model would be sexier, but that's just me
tongue.gif

There *is* a black version.

No, there isn't anything wrong with it.

Feel free to ask questions, either on here or by PM.

Dingoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
I found a specification chart that is comparing it to the PSP. It seems the thing is clocked at 400mhz:

c0876f86.jpg

It also seems to support flash. But it doesn't seem to be adept at 3D. There's currently a Silent Hill like game called 7 Days. It looks almost exactly like a fairly good-looking PS1 game:
The 3D is all done in software. Shenzhen Dingoo Digital's software development team (Dingoo Games) do the bundled 3D games, and develop these using something called 'soft3D'. They've also apparently done a mobile phone port of '7 Days' using the same technology.

I doubt the 3D is going to lead anywhere (commercial) - think of the Dingoo A320 as an emulation and homebrew machine, no more, no less. Plus it can play most DVD rips without pre-conversion...

The flash player was added to support portable flash animations that are quite popular in China. It isn't for playing Flash-based games.

Dingoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
stupid2ass said:
Interesting Idea. 320x240, is that good enough for snes emulation (i.e. for reading text in RPGs)?
If reviewers say it can handle emulation at full speed (or close), I'll probably jump in
smile.gif
From Wikipedia:

Progressive: 256x224, 512x224, 256x239, 512x239
Interlaced: 512x448, 512x478

The vertical resolution of the Dingoo A320's screen is sufficient to allow display of SNES graphics without the need for an scaling. The horizontal resolution is roughly in-between the native SNES H-res stated above.

Yes, it's fine for reading RPG text.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing is totally not worth the money. You're way better off saving for a GP2X, WIZ or an old PSP. Those consoles have a huge community of developers. You'd be lucky if this things emulators or firmware ever get updated. This thing's just a big ripoff.

Plague_Host_Extr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this thing has a decent enough community of developers, has had multiple firmware revisions since it's release (3 official revisions, atleast 5 to 6 community revisions), has decent reviews of the emus (most stating that emulation is perfect, but sound is screwy), and even has linux up and running WITH a multi-booter.

It's processor is, infact, more powerful than the PSPs (psp over clocked: 333mhz, this overclocked: 430mhz), meaning it's a more powerful system. The only downside is the 320x240 screen, though the system has a TV output...

I've been researching it, and, like I said, I'll be buying one and possibly giving a review on it for you guys.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Price is a bit steep but it seems pretty alright. I wish it emulate the WonderSwans though. There are some Swan games I've wanted to play but can't be bothered to play it on an emulator on PC.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I got a Dingoo, and it is worth every euro i paid for.

It has a descent community and some great hombrew if you run dingux on it (Linux)
The build in Emu's are descent (could be better, but the work)
Specially the CPS1 and CPS2 and NeoGeo MVS emulation is great

You don't buy this to watch movies, just use it as mp3 player/radio or gaming device.
If you love a small handheld and love to play some retro console stuff on it, it's great for you
Ow and i love the TV out on it to
biggrin.gif

(ok, it has some flaws, like "Why didn't the give it a descent volume control?")

Anyway, just letting you guys know my thing about it
biggrin.gif

Here's a photoshoot of my A-320 Dingoo

My A-320 Dingoo Photoshoot

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i like it...for what it is. A very nice toy. Wait till these things get beefier and can start handling better games and consoles... Emulation Handhelds will forever be playing catch up to newer handhelds and consoles... but that wasn't there goal with this product. obviously its a generic handled device that is nice for the tinkerers to play/code get better at their hobby,and waist time with. Make better games... A opensource handeld with alot of power would be nice for homebrew/emulators, kinda like this Slick 7 thing. Its a toy. And if gives you the option to break away from the TV/PC and go mobile and still have a good game-play experience and bragging rights for having a uncommon device?

edit: just looked at dingoo. i want one now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3