Homebrew Smealum's Sneak Peek for Homebrew, Custom Channels

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think it's pretty obvious some shady deals go on with some devs.....if they had some company offering them like $5000 for a bit of info on how to get it up and running and they had bills to pay I'm sure their morals would waiver.....plus if they just made it free and open they have no "incase of emergency" payday to fall back on in worst scenarios.......personally I think 90% of people would do the same if they could! and I don't blame them

alex_fr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
hope a decent video player comes out of this. I want to watch some 3DS films without cutting it into 10mins. I like to try GRAVITY when 3D rips come out.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems damn nice, can't wait to write some Code for the 3DS!
Think it's time to dust off my C-Skills :D

Yeah, I was learning C before all of this and now it makes me want to learn it even more since I don't think anyone is at a disadvantage for programming right now. I just wish I could make heads or tails of Smea's crtu stuff, I've been reading the headers and the source itself, but just not sure what much of it means.

Diablokiller999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just wish I could make heads or tails of Smea's crtu stuff, I've been reading the headers and the source itself, but just not sure what much of it means.

Yeah, seems it's missing a lot and most of all no good comments / documentation. But I think he'll fix this in a few weeks and we can start working into this. But finally some progress and after all, light at the end of the tunnel :)

Diablokiller999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would like to see a better way to region freeify my 3DS as well as high quality screen caps.

Think depends on smea, seems to me he just allows user mode so we can program own software but don't get access to the bare metal which is afaik necessary for a CFW 'cause FW is running on top of the chips...correct me if I'm wrong :)

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He should release only the code needed for homebrew. I am sure some smart folks will use his code to figure out how to build a backup loader, but hopefully that will not be ready until close to the end of life for the 3ds.

alex_fr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
for installing FW you'd need encryption keys to decrypt the files and possibly encrypt them back. I don't think we can get that. Any modification can be done in memory though if we can get full access.

Diablokiller999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am sure some smart folks will use his code to figure out how to build a backup loader, but hopefully that will not be ready until close to the end of life for the 3ds.

Didn't harm DS or PSP, just look at the sales of most top rated DS games like Mario Kart.
I think piracy is only interesting for teenagers without enough money for games. Me and most people I know use this method to get a deeper look into games and it saved me looooots of money and I think most grown ups enjoy the feeling of a shelf full of originals :D
But this is getting off topic, my fault!

Anyway, I would like to get the full stuff from smea, reading deeper into the hardware and getting into this myself...

for installing FW you'd need encryption keys to decrypt the files and possibly encrypt them back. I don't think we can get that. Any modification can be done in memory though if we can get full access.

Depends on how far Smealum reverse engineered the 3DS. If he was able to get the keys and break the chain of trust........

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if it is technically possible to port a SNES emulator now.
It's still too early, there are just too few libraries written for 3DS, so creating something that complex would be helluva hard.
With time, people will be exploring 3DS and writing libraries to do all the basic stuff we need for an emulator, but I say that you can be rather optimistic,
probably by the end of the year we will already have a full working SNES emulator.

Reactions: SLiV3R

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way to go, MISTER smealum!

Hopefully this can be used with a more recent firmware. It's depressing that I am having to basically hunt (fruitlessly) for a vulnerable 3DS(xl) now, when most stores seem to actively have this policy of refusing to hang on to older stock. :(

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way to go, MISTER smealum!

Hopefully this can be used with a more recent firmware. It's depressing that I am having to basically hunt (fruitlessly) for a vulnerable 3DS(xl) now, when most stores seem to actively have this policy of refusing to hang on to older stock. :(

Check pawns hops.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's still too early, there are just too few libraries written for 3DS, so creating something that complex would be helluva hard.
With time, people will be exploring 3DS and writing libraries to do all the basic stuff we need for an emulator, but I say that you can be rather optimistic,
probably by the end of the year we will already have a full working SNES emulator.
i actually don't think it would be that long, judging from what smea has already achieved, he already must have a pretty stong basis for the development, once released i would say emulators would be some of the first thing done....maybe basic but still an emulator, if i remember correctly the psp had a gameboy emulator pretty much from launch

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check pawns hops.

Funny you mention that.

Back in florida there were a few communities/subdistricts that I ran into where the sub-district actively prohibited pawn shops from accepting or hocking gaming merchandise... yet by a legal loophole, Gamestop was exempt. So the same neighborhood that couldn't legally have a pawn shop that carried gaming merchandise had like four gamestops... and because they effectively killed any kind of viable competition by absorbing their rival, they have/had an effective monopoly if you wanted to be able to get any kind of second-hand or rare goods.

I just know my luck in even finding a 3DS of any kind at a pawn shop has been next to nil thus far. I just hope it isn't the same kind of thing here in AZ where traditional pawn shops can't legally carry such goods or something. :ph34r:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-