Hacking SneekyCompiler

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shano56 said:
why can't people let copyright holders deal with their own copyright claims? must make people feel good to report it I guess.
i suppose its like driving by your buddy's house and seeing it getting burgled; do you call the cops yourself, or simply let your pal deal with it whenever he discovers the theft?

Satur9

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
This is a pretty awesome tool, the only thing that would make it more simple is a GUI with a next-next-next type interface, which I can only imagine you will head towards once you start getting into GUI programming.

The app itself seems like a .exe compiled batch file, while there is nothing wrong with this, and as you youself said, once you get to the point of writing your own routines you will get rid of it, right now one of your biggest problems is error testing.

You simply are not testing for enough error conditions. Simple things like making sure that the directories you are creating were in fact created, to the wget process which my personal firewall at first killed, your program is consistently assuming a pass state. This leads to the program progressing and failing only later on, where the user has no way of rectifying the issue or even reporting it to you. most command line programs will return a non-zero return code when they fail, you ought to be testing for this in your code and either providing automatic remediation or present the users with the needed information to correct the errors themselves.

Another suggestion is a debug mode and/or a progress log in a text file format, that the program does NOT clean up once you exit. The ideal solution would be a minimal progress log dumped to text during normal operation, and when troubleshooting with a user, give them the command line debug flag, which will provide you a more verbose output in order to troubleshoot with.

Keep up the good work on this project, and congrats getting past all the copyright issues and moral trolls. I hope you learn a lot from your endeavor

~~S9

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
Satur9 said:
This is a pretty awesome tool, the only thing that would make it more simple is a GUI with a next-next-next type interface, which I can only imagine you will head towards once you start getting into GUI programming.

The app itself seems like a .exe compiled batch file, while there is nothing wrong with this, and as you youself said, once you get to the point of writing your own routines you will get rid of it, right now one of your biggest problems is error testing.

You simply are not testing for enough error conditions. Simple things like making sure that the directories you are creating were in fact created, to the wget process which my personal firewall at first killed, your program is consistently assuming a pass state. This leads to the program progressing and failing only later on, where the user has no way of rectifying the issue or even reporting it to you. most command line programs will return a non-zero return code when they fail, you ought to be testing for this in your code and either providing automatic remediation or present the users with the needed information to correct the errors themselves.

Another suggestion is a debug mode and/or a progress log in a text file format, that the program does NOT clean up once you exit. The ideal solution would be a minimal progress log dumped to text during normal operation, and when troubleshooting with a user, give them the command line debug flag, which will provide you a more verbose output in order to troubleshoot with.

Keep up the good work on this project, and congrats getting past all the copyright issues and moral trolls. I hope you learn a lot from your endeavor

****************here***************************
hey thanks but you indeed went way over my head there are you a programmer?

i would like you to look over my code if you can call it that

~~S9

Satur9

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
QUOTE said:
****************here***************************
hey thanks but you indeed went way over my head there are you a programmer?

i would like you to look over my code if you can call it that

I don't mind taking a look but I have limited time to dedicate to assisting, and you would be the best resource to maintain the actual code.

What language is it written in?

What parts of my suggestions do I need to explain more clearly?

The main part is error checking, for instance your code makes a call to wget to fetch some files, if this wget fails, the program continues, believing your wget was successful. What you should be doing is something similar to the pseudocode below:

CODE
RETURNCODE=wget http://www.someserver.com/somefile.zip STDOUT> download.log ERROUT>download.log
if [RETURNCODE == 0]
echo Download was successful
else
echo Fetching file not successful, please check download.log for further information
endif

This will then let you make sure the download worked and that the user is informed of any issues.

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
hey guys i'm back

well i have got a new beta for you all to try here " removed old link "

I rewrote the whole program
added some error checking( thanks satur9)

for anyone that has read my source before:
PLEASE take a look at the source (included) for this beta
and let me know if i am getting any better at this!!!

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
yeah crediar is back!!!!

well I have a new release of Sneeky Compiler for anyone that wants it

here : " old link removed "

i added the ability to configure my app to auto download and compile the latest revision of sneek
without prompt if you so choose in the config of sneeky compiler for the first time

hope this helps some of you out

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
SneekyCompiler_SSE v1.0

get it here http://www.mediafire.com/?cyo8eg1rq3ke1jb

with my program you can download all programs needed for sneek/uneek compiling and compile automatically or choose the revision you would like to compile
also you can get Sneeky_Triiforce_MRC, Sneeky_mighty_channels, or the new Sneekflow
and just copy to sd or usb

the above wiiware/vc loaders are only for Uneek at this time(because my programming skills are still poop)

thanks and hope this helps some of you out and let me know your thoughts if you will

scooby74029

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's kinda sad you don't get much reaction, scooby. I'm much interested in getting wiiflow to run and load things from a sneek/uneeked nand, so programs like this are a very good thing.
(unfortunate enough, I can't seem to find much time to give this the attention it deserves).

Thanx, man.
smile.gif

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
It's kinda sad you don't get much reaction, scooby. I'm much interested in getting wiiflow to run and load things from a sneek/uneeked nand, so programs like this are a very good thing.
(unfortunate enough, I can't seem to find much time to give this the attention it deserves).

Thanx, man.
smile.gif

@wever

thank you for checking it out i know i never get much of a reaction from anyone

but every once in awhile someone will say that they finally got Uneek or Sneek to work for them with my program so it makes me feel like i am at least contributing to the scene in some way even if it isnt that significant i like to help people out
just wish i could really code then i would make some cool stuff for S/Uneek

Like i said though i am still trying to get .wbfs files to play from a s/uneek nand through wiiflow or a program of my own
maybe one day it will be reality

scooby74029

drewmerc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why does this not get more recognition

spent a an hour the other week following a crappy guide on setting up sneek
i think you should google some of the wii set up guides like http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home and get them to add your program

anyways thought i'd give your program a go (changing from sneek sd to sneek usb)
and damn was this a lot easyer thanks

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
@ drewmerc

thanks glad it helped you out I made it because i hated going and downloading new revs then compiling

this is just much simpler never thought of having it put onto one of the good guides sounds like a good ideal if the keepers of those guides want to use it they can

like i have said before this is really only for me to learn from and try to make into a real program one day
like a windows gui but i dont know anything about the windows gui stuff yet i have looked at it but still way over my head

the apps that i added are my mods except for the sneekflow and all i did to those was edit a few lines here and there thanks again for the support though

scooby74029

DEFIANT

a daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried this out to see if I could compile the latest sneek, but I'm getting an error I can't seem to figure out. Maybe you could help me out scooby74029?

Code:
svn checkout http://sneek.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ sneekr142
'svn' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Sorry there was an ERROR building sneek!!!

Please start over after program closes.

It gives me the same error over and over again.

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
@defiant

looks like you need to install slik svn client to your computer

to do this delete the config file and then when it asks if you want to install programs for compiling sneek
choose YES then go ahead and install slik svn the rest if you dont need them then exit out with the x box thing in the upper right corner and then it should work for you

scooby74029

jfp1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi scooby,

I'm having a problem with this. I installed all the required programs and when I build it there are a lot of warnings (normal?) and when it's done, the "bootmii" folder is always empty and the errorlog.txt file says:

FCT:GetElfs():L:-:syscall copyarmbin.bat mini failed 1

Any idea what's wrong?
Thanks in advance!

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
@jfp1000

yeah sounds like you need to add python27 to your environment path

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to your Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Environment Variables

Scroll down and highlight "Path", then click "Edit".

Enter in the list after any ";"

c:\Python27;

example:

c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;c:\Python27;C:\Program Files\SlikSvn\bin\

The armboot.bin will now be made and the program will run right

just do this but DO NOT ERASE anything from the path or it will mess up your computer i found out the hard way

scooby74029

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvdJmSqCmdk