Homebrew WIP SNES Classic Launcher For Nintendo Switch

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This thread has derailed a bit, but basically I have to agree with notimp. The post above mine is a nice example, how nobody understands what this project ist about:

This looks nice! I don't really understand what it is though.

Is this a gui with retroarch cores, or is it a different emulator?

This is just a frontend, a GUI, with no actual emulator in its backend. This of course might change, but right now you can just browse some list of games without playing *anything*.

Also this is obviously not a *port* as the news article states, but a recreation of the look and feel of the SNES Mini GUI. So please somebody fix the news article!

The GUI itself looks very nice, but sadly is nothing more at the moment...

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
@notimp - we all have something to bring to these forums, but the thing you should bring is silence.
Strange, because the thing most people seem to bring to this forum, is a self entitled believe to have to post what they feel about things, even if they didn't think about them at all. Some even see themselves as "supportive", when they launch a hype train into nowhere.

So sick, burn on the poetical front ("oh your comment sounded so nice!") - but zero representation on actual reality.

We have this "religious believe" threads, that go for three pages into entirely make believe directions, and people want to cheer them on, because those are their expressions of "being".

People get wrong ideas, wrong impressions based on self believes and not reality ---

And then someone with a north korean avatar tries to stand up, and order "silence" over whoever takes offense with that. Because we want "be" and "express" and "self believe" and "hype".

F*ck reality. No one cares about how stuff gets made, all that people in here care about is superflous BS. But don't take their believes away, or they get very angry.

The SNES Mini "homebrew scene" was an utter trainwreck - where people learned nothing, got baited into "sign up and win today" support structures, run by people with close relations to addon structures. They were lead into the believe, that people would support them "trying to run one game they have issues with - at a time" for months on end. Their coalitions got formed based on ego to have certain names associated to hakchi - the retroarch underbelly was hidden rom sight - so people had no understanding what they were running, or what they should learn about. Cores were distributed on github with baked in proprietary bios files, they didn't care - advancements in emulations cores were atvertised on a "gamy by game basis" (thats not how that works) - so there was always a release that everyone could hop on and be excited about. They used 8bitdo controllers with digital signal chains to retro arch, but were happy that they could use "tha analog stick" in Mario 64...

And now this project is hinting at bringing that experience over - and all the same people are back in here asking "can you make Snes Mini, but like - faster?".

I'd be very receptive towards actual arguments, I'm very careful that the statements that I make are not outright wrong, in act - I am one of the only persons in here that goes by this principle. But now, thats a cultural issue - because people dont want to hear how wrong the concepts they go by are?

In their worlds - "everyone says a thing". and everyone that gets excited says "amazing, and great" - and then free stuff rains over them, that they get personal support on, because they were so supportive in the beginning. None of that is needed in a development community.

All of it is problematic in a sense that wrong expectations get set, and no one cares about structure ("hekate is wonderull - I can have now!" of course none of the devs is working towards that as a target, but yes, you can have now - how wonderull).

Entire projects are dismissed (ScummVM doesnt work, it tells be to put in numbers in monkey island) - because people look at them or two seconds and dont bother to read even the controller mappings.

And i you say something against it you are being painted as the bad guy.

Also - when hint at those things in a small and silent voice - I get immediatelly slaughtered ("dont shit on dev, dev give me stuff or free!") - and the dissemination of wrong information continues.

Now this is a thread about a Hombrew Launcher replacement - all of a sudden. No one ever intendet to launch Nintendo games with this.

Because its the last "sane" point o retreat thats still open. The last standpoint where people would not have to admit, ok - we entirely misrepresented this thing and what it was supposed to do.

But you, you should have stayed silent. Because you made us stop partying - like its 2012.

Also you write long texts - lol. And that youtube video said.... (Most Youtubers you link in here are lying to you, are reading text excerpts to you that you dont want to read yourselves, without understanding them - I've participated in the experimet, I've watched 10-20 of the videos in here people held at high regard - and linked to others as help. No one corrects a youtuber, ever. He's in a bubble of his own. Alone. At the same time - reaching hundereds.

No arguments get developed on youtube. Its only the medium that reads forum entries and release logs to an apparently very large audience.

And this youtube video falls in the same category - Its a great tease - but it stops right before it would show you what the purpose of the thing is. You just get the "UI experience part". Looks great, does nothing (as of now), has potential (if the assets werent lifted straight from Nintendo.) )

And this is more on topic than any of the "amazing, great, wonderful - look, we even can run N64 on it!" sentiments, that 80% of the folks in here shared.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Really nice work! It makes me wonder why Nintendo can't/won't do this. It just makes no sense..
Nintendo did create this. Nintendo also created the original firmware on the switch. That also can launch games.

That Nintendo wont sell you "all the games" on "all the plattforms" has to do with license agreements that have to be made with content holders... Ok - I'll stop.

But this is getting very close to the "no one knows what they are talking about anymore" point again.

"They just sad, so sad. Why cant they have." which again, is Donald Trump Twitter parlance, almost to the T. Hes the pinnacle of expressing todays mindset.

"Every one soooo valueable, only that guy should not talk. So sad... Feels, that you are not valueable, But you so supportive in your contribute! Amazing, great. Some people are taking your free support! Bad people. So sad. What do you do about it? MAGA."

Vote populism.

(Like and subscribe. No one ever had to defend an argument on facebook. Or youtube. And this is the result.)

Last edited by notimp,

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@notimp, what you need to understand is that many awesome homebrews started off a just a "hello world" and this has the potential in my opinion to be something awesome as long as it is diligently worked on, and you saying all it is is crap sucks for the op, because statements like you are making is exactly what drives new blood away from gbatemp, there is a old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone! :-) I've been messing around with lovepotion lately, and have made a bit of progress into having the SNES Classic interface be on Nintendo Switch.

Lots to go still, and the real bottleneck here is no hardware acceleration. But, once all that is solved, we should be good to go as far as having an application that can launch games you put on your SD card.

Will update the thread as progress continues.

This looks pretty cool but I've got some questions (I don't have a (S)NES Mini nor do I know which software/OS it uses):
  1. What exactly is this or what will it be? You wrote somewhere it will turn into a launcher for an emulator. Will you use Libretro cores for this?
  2. I love RetroArch but I might prefer this as a launcher if it can share the same savegames with RetroArch (at least the real savegames, not the savestates which are emulator specific). Will you have some kind of directory settings so I can point this and RetroArch to the same directory for saves?
  3. How do you plan to handle big rom collections? Again I don't have a SNES Mini so I don't know how people using Hakchi2 are handling this issue but I think it would suck to launch your homebrew, starting at the letter A and have to go to the right around 1000 times until I'm at "Street Fighter" if I have a big rom collection.
  4. This can launch games from other systems as well I think? That makes the amount of games even higher. Will there be some kind of folders for each system or horizontal lines for each system? I mean left and right are scrolling through all roms of the current system while up and down are scrolling through the different systems? I think this would be a good solution and with L and R we could jump between the starting letters.
  5. Will you add the PAL theme as well at some point and make it an option to pick in the settings?
Tbh the best thing would be if this would either end up as a RetroArch theme so people can use it instead of XMB or if it just becomes another frontend for the Libretro cores (like RetroArch itself).
I'd prefer it becoming a RetroArch theme because people then can use it on PC and all other systems as well. Ninty might not like that though ... :P

Sorry for the amount of questions but I guess more people than me are curious about those things.

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
just curious, is this the original software from the snes mini or just a clone made from scratch of its ui?
It's just a gui with no functionality other than browsing and launching games, i could see retroarch cores getting implemented but as is it is not able to emulate or load roms of any kind.

samthebreadman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this thread blew up. Yeah, please temper expectations folks. I have a lot of ideas where this could go, but yes in its current state it cannot even launch anything. Baby steps. I'm just starting out and I am no wizard. :-)

Currently the plan is to release an nro that serves as a way to launch AND play NES games. The emulator will be built-in so all you have to do is supply the games, metadata, and boxart and it will show up in the carousel to play.

I do want to get the core functionality going first before going silly with features and believe me, I have a lot planned since this ISNT and emulation and a clone with which I can do as I please.

I just thought the idea of having the Nintendo Classics experience on Switch would be amazing. That's how this idea came about.

Thank you for your support!

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have to agree with @notimp about the hype train and although I really like going with the hype train myself, the title is quite misleading since it is called a port which it really is not.

Though calling it an animated gif is giving it not enough credit. It seems interactive, but it just isn’t more than a frontend.

When I code something, I work on the backend first and then create a frontend to make the functionality easy to use.

Though when you are trying to clone something, starting with the frontend makes sense and since people recognize the frontend they get hyped about the functionality the original has while the clone does not have this (yet).

Reactions: samthebreadman

samthebreadman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with @notimp about the hype train and although I really like going with the hype train myself, the title is quite misleading since it is called a port which it really is not.

Though calling it an animated gif is giving it not enough credit. It seems interactive, but it just isn’t more than a frontend.

When I code something, I work on the backend first and then create a frontend to make the functionality easy to use.

Though when you are trying to clone something, starting with the frontend makes sense and since people recognize the frontend they get hyped about the functionality the original has while the clone does not have this (yet).

I don't believe I ever called this a port. Others have assumed it was. A port implies that I have the original code. :-P

And yep. You're right. I felt to approach this differently than normal working backwards.

Last edited by samthebreadman,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Having said all that, is the correct response therefore to offer support to the dev or to bombard them with enough negativity that they then disappear? I mean, I already know the answer as this is Temp afterall, but I was kinda pleasantly surprised that this thread started out quite positive.

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1