Hardware so i bricked during the otp downgrade....

Wilsonec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bricked my 3DS XL FE:F edition last night. It was late and I wasn't being as diligent as I usually am. At the time couldn't figure out why, but I realised as soon as I woke up this morning that I had left the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file from my previous a9lhax (on my o3ds) in the /3ds/ folder I'd kept as backup. I transferred that folder onto my n3ds and copied my new arm9loaderhax.3dsx file onto the root of the SD, not in the /3ds/ folder. So when I ran the hax in HBL I was actually running the one for my o3ds.

End result = bricked with black screen.

Pretty much a hard mod right?

The 3DS is less than 3 weeks old so I'm debating whether to hard mod or return it to Amazon US and get a refund. The hard mod doesn't look that difficult but I'm worried about whether I can pull it off. I've done soldering work before on my GB/GBC/GBA and a shell replacement on an o3DS XL so I'm semi comfortable. But I've had issues in the past when modding and I really don't want to fuck up on this

Gahh it's such a hard decision!

Edit: Oh man! I just read this. I thought it would just be taking off the backplate to access the mobo but it looks like you have to dismantle to get to the other side of the board. NOPE

Last edited by Wilsonec,

Red46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On n3ds (NOT the o3ds) is it normal for emunand to brick when you downgrade to 2.1.0. OTP helper has an "unbrick 2.1.0" option specifically for those situations.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is normal for n3ds, because there never was a version 2.1 for n3ds and so you have to downgrade via o3ds firmware. And then the unbricking process alters the emunand so that it will successfully run when flashed to sysnand.

JFizDaWiz

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.ws
XP
Country
United States
yah, I am not daring enough to go through getting my OTP, the only real benefit for me is faster boot and it's just not worth it (for me)
hope you get yours up n running though, hate to see a dead 3DS

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I bricked my 3DS XL FE:F edition last night. It was late and I wasn't being as diligent as I usually am. At the time couldn't figure out why, but I realised as soon as I woke up this morning that I had left the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file from my previous a9lhax (on my o3ds) in the /3ds/ folder I'd kept as backup. I transferred that folder onto my n3ds and copied my new arm9loaderhax.3dsx file onto the root of the SD, not in the /3ds/ folder. So when I ran the hax in HBL I was actually running the one for my o3ds.

End result = bricked with black screen.

Pretty much a hard mod right?

The 3DS is less than 3 weeks old so I'm debating whether to hard mod or return it to Amazon US and get a refund. The hard mod doesn't look that difficult but I'm worried about whether I can pull it off. I've done soldering work before on my GB/GBC/GBA and a shell replacement on an o3DS XL so I'm semi comfortable. But I've had issues in the past when modding and I really don't want to fuck up on this

Gahh it's such a hard decision!

Edit: Oh man! I just read this. I thought it would just be taking off the backplate to access the mobo but it looks like you have to dismantle to get to the other side of the board. NOPE
you know @gamesquest1 does 3ds hardmods in the UK, very good/fast and professionally done!
highly recommanded letting him do the hardmod. (he did 5 systems for me, all perfectly done)

Wilsonec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you know @gamesquest1 does 3ds hardmods in the UK, very good/fast and professionally done!
highly recommanded letting him do the hardmod. (he did 5 systems for me, all perfectly done)
Thanks, that's good information to know. Though I already shipped my 3DSXL back for a refund and ordered the 3DSXL Hyrule Edition as a replacement. Think it looks better than the FE:F edition so I'm pleased with the outcome

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks, that's good information to know. Though I already shipped my 3DSXL back for a refund and ordered the 3DSXL Hyrule Edition as a replacement. Think it looks better than the FE:F edition so I'm pleased with the outcome
Nice :)
Still consider to install a hardmod before trying anyting on it ;)

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nice :)
Still consider to install a hardmod before trying anyting on it ;)

Why would you ever do the hardmod before trying? In most cases it would just be a waste of time/effort. Also no warranty, meaning he couldn't send it in again claiming a legit update bricked it or whatever.

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Why would you ever do the hardmod before trying? In most cases it would just be a waste of time/effort. Also no warranty, meaning he couldn't send it in again claiming a legit update bricked it or whatever.

That's daft logic. No disrespect, but wouldn't you be much more comfortable knowing you have a backup in case something goes wrong. Warranty won't always save you. If Nintendo really wanted to. They could take a look at what's truly happened to the nand image.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's daft logic. No disrespect, but wouldn't you be much more comfortable knowing you have a backup in case something goes wrong. Warranty won't always save you. If Nintendo really wanted to. They could take a look at what's truly happened to the nand image.

You always have that backup, you do the hardmod if it's needed. And if it's not needed (like in most cases), you wont have gone through the trouble of soldering to your consoles motherboard just to have a port you're never going to use. I don't see how this is daft logic.

If they really wanted to I'm sure they could, but they don't. And even if they did you'd still get your old faulty console back, and then you could do the hardmod and fix it.

Reactions: Wilsonec and dg_dex

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
You always have that backup, you do the hardmod if it's needed. And if it's not needed (like in most cases), you wont have gone through the trouble of soldering to your consoles motherboard just to have a port you're never going to use. I don't see how this is daft logic.

If they really wanted to I'm sure they could, but they don't. And even if they did you'd still get your old faulty console back, and then you could do the hardmod and fix it.

Sorry, you do make a good point. I was being blind and ignorant before. I completely forgot about the thread being about a brick after trying to retrieve the OTP. If one was to get to the stage of installing A9LH. Then one should of been wise enough to back there nand up via Gateway.

Reactions: TVL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sometimes I wonder where I went wrong and why I'm so dissatisfied with my life
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Then I find myself arguing with someone on reddit about how blatantly wrong their understanding of the USB Power Delivery specification is.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    At 1 AM.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where did I go wrong, again? 😕
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, What do you mean?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, always blame women
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Blame woke.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Blame society.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Woke isn't part of society they woke up from it
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    *spends years yelling "wake up sheeple"
    *acts shocked when they actually wake up
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Make up your mind.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the government doesn't care? :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The government
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol jedi fallen order crashed on SteamDeck through ea play guess the deck doesn't have the force
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Well it's called the "fallen" order, not the "stable" order.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The "smooth running" order.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess they weren't lying about not being compatible
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ea play is such hot garbage for making you register per console
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ea play is such hot garbage for making you register per console