Hacking Softmodded Wii won't read newly burnt gc games

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, let me say I'm not new to this. I have 20 GC backups that all work fine.

I had a friend recommend Tales of Symphonia so I downloaded it and burnt it. USB Loader GX and WiiGator's backup launcher say there's no disc. Thought maybe it was a bad burn so I tried again at 1X. Same problem. This was a .gcm where all my previous games had been .iso so I looked it up to see if I had to do something different for those. Read that I should change the filetype to .iso. Still wouldn't recognize the disc. So I figured it was a bad download or upload so I tried the same game from another site. Same problem. Thought it was the game so I downloaded a different game. Nothing. Maybe I got two bad games in a row so I redownloaded a game I have already burnt and I know is good. No dice. I thought it might have been some setting that got changed so I uninstalled ImgBurn and reinstalled it to reset everything. Still nothing.

I'm using ImgBurn and I've tried every write speed from 1X to 4X. I'm using the same discs (HP DVD+R 16X) as the old burns and the same DVD burner. The Wii reads the games I burnt a long time ago just fine so it's not the Wii's drive. When I put the disc in the Wii makes the slow whirring sound it usually makes before it kicks it into high gear, but with these discs the speed never increases. One time, WiiGator's backup loader never gave me an error, it just kept spinning the disc at a slow, irregular speed for a few minutes before I shut off the Wii. I'm starting to get frustrated with this. I have to have gone through at least a dozen discs and I haven't made any progress. I don't know if there's some noobie mistake I'm making but I don't remember there being any more steps than "load the file with ImgBurn, select a slow speed and burn." Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh and my wii is on 4.2U and I'm using Waninkoko's cMIOS r5 installed with MIOS v10

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GCM's are the same as ISO's, the file name extension is just changed to allow associating it with GameCube emulators easier and still have ISO's associated with burning/ISO software.

Reading your post, the only two possible causes that came to my mind are:
1) You may have a bad batch of HP media. Are you using a new case, or are these discs from an already opened and proven to be good batch?
2) Maybe your burner is to blame and has thrown in the towel. Try cleaning it, and/or trying out another drive like a friends or an extra one lying around....

-[]D

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes DeadlyFoez is correct. HP is the culprit, I bought one spindle and brought them right back. They are terrible media. Even store brand like Staples is better. Go with these in this order:

Verbatim
Sony
Memorex
Staples

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
HP media sucks the donkey nuts. Go with Verbatim and then tell us your results.
VashTS said:
Yes DeadlyFoez is correct. HP is the culprit, I bought one spindle and brought them right back. They are terrible media. Even store brand like Staples is better. Go with these in this order:

Verbatim
Sony
Memorex
Staples

My 20 other backups are all on hp dvds and they work perfectly fine. It's possible that I have some old non-hp dvds lying around that I can try, but I'm not going to go buy another brand of dvds when I have 80+ dvds that work fine otherwise.

QUOTE(PPSainity @ Apr 19 2010, 04:42 PM)
GCM's are the same as ISO's, the file name extension is just changed to allow associating it with GameCube emulators easier and still have ISO's associated with burning/ISO software.

1) You may have a bad batch of HP media. Are you using a new case, or are these discs from an already opened and proven to be good batch?
2) Maybe your burner is to blame and has thrown in the towel. Try cleaning it, and/or trying out another drive like a friends or an extra one lying around....

-[]D

I think the discs are fine because I've used ones from this batch for a few things, including my Windows 7 install disc. I can try burning them on a different computer just to be sure though.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Dr. Hobo said:
DeadlyFoez said:
HP media sucks the donkey nuts. Go with Verbatim and then tell us your results.
VashTS said:

Verbatim
Sony
Memorex
Staples

My 20 other backups are all on hp dvds and they work perfectly fine. It's possible that I have some old non-hp dvds lying around that I can try, but I'm not going to go buy another brand of dvds when I have 80+ dvds that work fine otherwise.

QUOTE(PPSainity @ Apr 19 2010, 04:42 PM)

-[]D

I think the discs are fine because I've used ones from this batch for a few things, including my Windows 7 install disc. I can try burning them on a different computer just to be sure though.

Well, have fun, and keep on burning coasters.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My experience is this:
DVD+R= nothing but headaches, sometimes they work, sometimes not.
DVD-R= NEVER a problem with the Wii reading them as WII or Gamecube backups.
And, yes, I know in imgburn you can set the book type to -R, but I still had errors of some sort.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess thats your experience
tongue.gif
in my experience it doesn't matter whatsoever, people say the same thing about wii backups (use -r they work better) but i only use +r's and i've never had a wii game not work from disc.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah well thats all it needs, but i guess some people maybe have ancient burners that can't set booktypes lol

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it looks like I have to apologize. I found some old Verbatim +R discs and they worked fine. I just didn't think the discs were at fault since it had worked 20 times previously. Oh well, guess I need to work on listening to those who know better. PROBLEM SOLVED

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious