Software to check how many gb's your hdd has read and written?

thekman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just want to pretty much see how many gb's I have read and written onto my current hdd.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Programs like crystaldiskinfo allow you to get easy access to the SMART data for drives.

However value HDDs tend not to store total writes as power on hours is a better indicator of failure rate than total writes (for the most part)

If you are interested in writes for the sake of upgrading to a SSD (where poeple tend to worry about total writes) the risk of failure isn't as bad as made out to be, SSDs have been tested to last longer than their rated lifespans plus by the time even a power user would have written enough to kill a SSD chances are you would have likely upgraded to something larger and faster (with sata 3 being a pain at the moment and the prices of ssds falling) http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
free space is obvious and many OSes (including modern windows) will have data during an observed period as well as instantaneous rates. Many SSDs will have it as part of standard SMART logs (233 Media Wearout Indicator being the main option), it might exist on some higher end big boy hard drives if they have a warranty sold on so many complete writes/total data written, it might also be an option of high end NAS units, SANs and possibly big boy RAID as well. Whether it exists for consumer grade spinning rust I do not know at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk