Solving analog stick issues.

My 2000 had a messed-up analog for a long time.

My original guess was that the conductive silicon pad for the analog stick assembly was dirty or messed up, and when I took it out it was indeed physically messed up, but after ordering a replacement there was no improvement. I even tried replacing the analog stick board itself, but there was still no improvement, so I knew it had to be something else...

So I decided to open my PSP and find out once and for all.

I found in my case that it's caused by a lack of proper contact between the underside of the motherboard (on the lower-left side of the screen). To test if this will fix your issue, you can just take your faceplate off and press down on the area circled in red while moving the stick to see if this will fix it. I recommend just opening the web browser to test the stick since you can see exactly how it's reacting in there.

pspogfix.jpg

[*]Take off your PSP's case.
[*]Unhook the home bar.
[*]Loosen the screen and it's metal case from the system. Some guides have you pry the screen out of it's metal case, don't do that here.
[*]Place a few strips of paper where I did (the white in the same section that's circled in red on the upper pic).
[*]Re-assemble. If there's dust, go to the next step.
tongue.gif

[*]Disassemble and clear out the dust, then go back to the previous step.
tongue.gif
So when you put the PSP back together the strips of paper mean that the screen is pressing down on the motherboard more, which is pressing down on the contacts more!

I know you could try to do this from the analog stick side, but it needs to maintain conductivity so you can't pad it with anything non-conductive, and in under to properly get under the analog assembly but still fit stuff in, you'd have to take more than this apart anyways.

Tell me if this works for you, please.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I always knew this lol. I fixed PSPs in High School and this trick ALMOST always worked.
tongue.gif

Sometimes it has to do with the little soft-gel plastic contact rubber thing too, being misaligned or dirty.

e_bfvfa5141125_0.jpg

You should mention this in your guide because if it is loose or moves it'll cause issues as well when reassembling.

Great guide! Bound to help lots of people. I would have done this guide long ago if I still had my 1000.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
My analog will move itself down by itself every once in awhile. But I found that was due to a slight sticking point in a single direction, easily solved by just making sure down wasn't the last direction it was used for (which is beyond rare).

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the reason my PSP-1000 is not in use anymore. Hahaha.
Joysens worked at a time for me, then it just screwed it up more and even after I delete it it's as if the settings are still in effect.

I will try this solution later, though. Thank you thank you thank you.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
bump

For my 1000, cleaning all the nub with alcohol, and then rubbing some petroleum jelly on the rubber part fixed mine for good.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
And there's also the calibration that helps .. go to System Information and start firmly rotating the analog clockwise , then counter-clockwise couple of times , this fixed mine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....