Something I never knew about the NES

BlueStar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A few snippets from various pages...
QUOTE said:
Two controllers were permanently attached to the Famicom. The second player's controller included a built in microphone but lacked the "start" and "select" buttons.
Very few game systems built audio input devices into their controllers after this. The Nintendo DS is the first system to use an Integrated Microphone, almost 20 years after the release of the Famicom.
A passage in the manual for The Legend of Zelda states that Pols Voices hate loud noises, however for non-Japanese players, this has been a source of confusion. The only item in the game that produces a sound, the recorder, has no effect on Pols Voice. The passage actually describes a feature of the Japanese Famicom version of the game; if the player made a sound into the Famicom controller's built-in microphone, Pols Voice would be slain.

ohmy.gif

Well fuck me sideways!

Am I the only one with such astounding ignorance, or does this come as a surprise to anyone else?

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
whoa I never knew zelda actually made use of it. i own a sharp twin famicom and I think my second controller has a microphone for it. I've heard there is some sing-along game(s?) for famicom. but I don't remember it's name.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
BlueStar said:
A few snippets from various pages...
QUOTE said:
Two controllers were permanently attached to the Famicom. The second player's controller included a built in microphone but lacked the "start" and "select" buttons.
Very few game systems built audio input devices into their controllers after this. The Nintendo DS is the first system to use an Integrated Microphone, almost 20 years after the release of the Famicom.
A passage in the manual for The Legend of Zelda states that Pols Voices hate loud noises, however for non-Japanese players, this has been a source of confusion. The only item in the game that produces a sound, the recorder, has no effect on Pols Voice. The passage actually describes a feature of the Japanese Famicom version of the game; if the player made a sound into the Famicom controller's built-in microphone, Pols Voice would be slain.

ohmy.gif

Well fuck me sideways!

Am I the only one with such astounding ignorance, or does this come as a surprise to anyone else?
Sure, Where do you live?
smile.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i knew about the nes having a modem in japan, i also knew that there was a mii design 20 years before it ever came out on the wii (youtube has a vid of this or just search my favorites on my channel) but i never knew about the famicom having a built in mic though, interesting stuff, why didn't the western models have a built in mic? was it because of language barriers then?

and yes the snes had a add on for a satellite modem to download games to carts or something one game is BS zelda which was released in japan only (translated english roms are now available though) i believe the n64 had a addon pack aswell similar to the floppy expansion to the faimcom but again was never released outside of japan aswell. (if you do find one on ebay prepare for your wallets to take a hard hard beating lol)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
i knew about the nes having a modem in japan, i also knew that there was a mii design 20 years before it ever came out on the wii (youtube has a vid of this or just search my favorites on my channel) but i never knew about the famicom having a built in mic though, interesting stuff, why didn't the western models have a built in mic? was it because of language barriers then?

and yes the snes had a add on for a satellite modem to download games to carts or something one game is BS zelda which was released in japan only (translated english roms are now available though) i believe the n64 had a addon pack aswell similar to the floppy expansion to the faimcom but again was never released outside of japan aswell. (if you do find one on ebay prepare for your wallets to take a hard hard beating lol)

Yep there was a floppy drive add-on for the N64, although it was more like zip discs than floppies. I think they were 3" discs. It was called the N64DD. You're right about them being pretty expensive as well, although the price is dropping a little as most collectors these days are more interested in the development drives as it's the only way to play release protos for the N64DD.

I think someone recently figured out how to actually decrypt the stuff that's on the discs as well, if I remember right they were talking about it over on AssemblerGames.

BTW I know there was a modem out for the MegaDrive in Japan as well, I don't remember it coming out here in the UK but it might've. Does anyone know if it come out States-side?

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah it was pretty damn cool, ahead of its time IMO.

Why the rest of the world didn't get it is beyond me.

"Fuck", you say? How swear friendly is GBA Temp? Another site that I frequently post at (Eurogamer) allows it any-which-way.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
ben_r_ said:
I have no idea what any of that means.... WTF is a famicon, who the hell is pol and why heck does any of this matter now?

we gaming otakus thinkses that tis cool! besides I'm getting zelda disk version someday in the future as i have a sharp twin famicom myself!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
One of the more interesting applications of the Famicom's microphone was in some of the levels of Beat Takeshi's game.

I didn't know Beat Takeshi had his own game! He's one of the coolest actors of all time, you ain't got the games name handy have you?

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He had 4 games released on the NES ... the most notorious of which was Takeshi no Chousenjou (Takeshi's Challenge) in which the players had to do odd things to pass each level ... one level required you to hum or whistle or sing continuously into the mic for a full minute, another level wanted you to leave the joypad untouched for one hour ... and other odd 'challenges' like that.

The games were shit, to be fair.

Side-Note : He invented the show Takeshi's Castle, and even hosted it, on occasion.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
BTW I know there was a modem out for the MegaDrive in Japan as well, I don't remember it coming out here in the UK but it might've. Does anyone know if it come out States-side?

for the megadrive too? i learn something new every day lol

QUOTEWTF is a famicon

i'm guessing u werent born in the 80s then?

Lost Racer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:

We had X-Band here in the states for the Genesis. That was our modem
smile.gif
I miss mine.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lost Racer said:
TrolleyDave said:

We had X-Band here in the states for the Genesis. That was our modem
smile.gif
I miss mine.

Dont you guys remember the Sega Channel? Although it never came to my country i was amazed at it by reading about it in magazines

edit: aw man podunk1269 beat me to it, haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Temp is back back again
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    why were servers down?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because it was telling a friend
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, telling what?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Maintenance most likely.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, understandable
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hopefully it wasn't a DDoS attack.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i was already believing that was the reason it was down
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, The response from the page said it had too many connections. So perhaps, flooded traffic?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it didnt say that for me
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, It only shows that if you do 'View Source', right below that it'll tell you the SQL response query. I feel like a nerd lol.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But for everyone, it said unexpected database error.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just said database error for me
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she said it only said "too many connections" when you view the source
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna try to actually beat touhou 6
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Have fun.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i recall playing some hard undertale fangames way before playing touhou, like the genocide asgore fangame or the mettaton neo 2.0 one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    so atleast im already kinda used to bullet hell games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and yea i played both undertale and deltarune too although those are a piece of cake compared to any touhou game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aaaaaaannnnnnd i already lost all my continues
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only set three default lives btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz of score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i think i first should focus more on beating the game rather than obtaining a high score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night