Sonic Frontiers surpasses 3.5 million sales, shared in a Sonic & Rovio Press Conference

The latest title in the Sonic franchise, Sonic Frontiers, released last year to great success and quite some positive reception, which; when it comes to Sonic titles as of late, was a great surprise. The game's hype hasn't disappeared though, since recently Frontiers got its first DLC as of a couple weeks ago, on March 22nd, 2023, with still some more DLCs announced for later down the road, but with a still pending release date.

SEGA has been also pretty active in the business standpoint, with them purchasing Rovio, the creators of the Angry Birds franchise, for quite a substantial amount of 700+ million dollars. Both SEGA & Rovio held a press conference recently, and during this press conference, SEGA shared sales numbers of their franchises, with Sonic being their top seller, and also disclosed that Sonic Frontiers has surpassed the 3.5 million sales.

With the other couple DLCs still remaining to be released, the Frontiers hype is sure to continue for a bit longer, but as to what SEGA might have in store after Frontiers, it's still unknown.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Always happy to see Sega get whatever moderate wins they can, but I hope they don't learn the wrong lessons from this; the game is still very much a work in progress. One could even call it a beta, and the only reason reception has been so positive is because the bar is set so low specifically for Sonic.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would a Japanese company known for fast running hedgehogs want with a company with...angry birds? WAIT! Sonic Riders have Angry birds.... OH WAIT I know, they want to add them to their flicky collection-

(REDACTED)

They want to make a new Sonic Riders Game... or maybe costumes. :ninja:

• Haha
Reactions: DarkCoffe64 and Xzi

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just put them in Switch Online and I'll be satisfied. Throw in Sonic Battle too, weird game, but enjoyable all the same.
Yes please give me a reason to finally play Sonic Battle multiplayer! Never got to do it back in the day since nobody I knew owned the game or even a link cable.

Reactions: krakenx

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Always happy to see Sega get whatever moderate wins they can, but I hope they don't learn the wrong lessons from this; the game is still very much a work in progress. One could even call it a beta, and the only reason reception has been so positive is because the bar is set so low specifically for Sonic.
i don't agree with this. It is not a beta. Yes there is pop in and thats annoying, but other than that its a well functioning game and while playing the worst version of the game I had no issues at all.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The owners of Rovio must be thanking god so many times, as they ran Angry Birds into the ground HARD. They would probably be bankrupt in a few years. lol

Reactions: supergamer368

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
i don't agree with this. It is not a beta. Yes there is pop in and thats annoying, but other than that its a well functioning game and while playing the worst version of the game I had no issues at all.
It's not only the pop-in. The vast majority of enemies are just a bunch of polygons mashed together randomly, the open world "puzzles" do not look entertaining nor challenging, there are too many different currencies/collectables in the game, story progression is fragmented/awkward, and stats are upgraded in 1% increments. Oh, and combat design boils down to "press and hold one button" after you unlock certain abilities.

From my perspective the only parts of the game that actually look finished are the 2D classic levels and the final boss fights of each area (minus the fact that they're faceless and thus forgettable). Everything else fell way short of the standard set for modern open world games, but it does create a good foundation to improve upon going forward.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not only the pop-in. The vast majority of enemies are just a bunch of polygons mashed together randomly, the open world "puzzles" do not look entertaining nor challenging, there are too many different currencies/collectables in the game, story progression is fragmented/awkward, and stats are upgraded in 1% increments. Oh, and combat design boils down to "press and hold one button" after you unlock certain abilities.

From my perspective the only parts of the game that actually look finished are the 2D classic levels and the final boss fights of each area (minus the fact that they're faceless and thus forgettable). Everything else fell way short of the standard set for modern open world games, but it does create a good foundation to improve upon going forward.
Did you play Frontiers? Genuine question

Reactions: FateForWindows

NumberXIIIEdwin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the open world "puzzles" do not look entertaining nor challenging, there are too many different currencies/collectables in the game, story progression is fragmented/awkward, and stats are upgraded in 1% increments.
Yeah as much as I enjoyed the game I can agree with most of this. The “”puzzles”” while they weren’t all that challenging they’re not what I wanted to play the game for so I was pretty glad they came and went pretty fast.

Also who’s idea was it to make you upgrade each stat one by one!? Was it so hard to let you gain multiple levels at once?? Still scratching my head on that one.

Reactions: Xzi

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah as much as I enjoyed the game I can agree with most of this. The “”puzzles”” while they weren’t all that challenging they’re not what I wanted to play the game for so I was pretty glad they came and went pretty fast.

Also who’s idea was it to make you upgrade each stat one by one!? Was it so hard to let you gain multiple levels at once?? Still scratching my head on that one.
they fixed it with one of the first updates
Post automatically merged:

The enemies are pretty varied and the "polygon" ones look like that on purpose. There are not many currencies and collectibles in the game. Its just the attack and defense ones, kokos and the affinity points of the current island. Story progression is not that bad, stat upgrade was fixed, not like they change that much anyways. Fights don't just boil down to hold one button at all. The classic 2D levels are by far the worst aspect of the game, but from what I am seeing you actually have not played the game so you don't know. They feel awful and the controls are really bad. Calling the final bosses of the islands forgettable is just flat out wrong considering they are some of the most celebrated things about the game. Lastly Frontiers is not even an open world game. The devs themselves called it "open zone" make of that what you will but its not an open world game.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they fixed it with one of the first updates
Wasn’t trying to bash the game, just thought it was a weird thing to have gotten through testing and into the main game. And if you really want to be nitpicky, they did fix it, but the update in question didn’t come out till the latter half of March I believe, 4 and half months after release. Like I said, it’s great that they fixed it, but they definitely took long enough fixing it that I played through the game to the final island, took a break to play some other games for a bit, and then finally came back and finished the game and even got the platinum and it still wasn’t fixed. You can like a game and point out its shortcomings.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wasn’t trying to bash the game, just thought it was a weird thing to have gotten through testing and into the main game. And if you really want to be nitpicky, they did fix it, but the update in question didn’t come out till the latter half of March I believe, 4 and half months after release. Like I said, it’s great that they fixed it, but they definitely took long enough fixing it that I played through the game to the final island, took a break to play some other games for a bit, and then finally came back and finished the game and even got the platinum and it still wasn’t fixed. You can like a game and point out its shortcomings.
if you actually read my post then you'd see I nitpicked stuff too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: report your account, a supervisor will take care of it