Sonic Team confirms 25th Anniversary Sonic game is in the works

CXYlt4QUwAA-wMT.jpg

Famistu, the well known Japanese gaming publication, sat down with Sonic Team's Takashi Iizuka to discuss Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th anniversary. At the end of the interview, Famitsu asked what plans SEGA and Sonic Team have in terms of any future games. Their answer was the following quote;

We at Sonic Team – are developing a completely new game, as well as developing a full movie, actively done by Sony Pictures, and animation on Sonic Boom. We are also ready to improve sponsor ties. The most important thing is not the fact the series survived for 25 years, but how many games was developed. Our goal – add something new and overcome any potential hardships.

:arrow: Source

BlackYoshi485

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The Sonic Adventure games were very mediocre(even more than Mighty No.5.7), i think they should put the Hedgehog engine again, with some new cool stuff.

Sonic Adventure 3 is never happening, because Sonic Adventure 3 = Sonic 06', unless you want a Sonic 06' remake, Sonic 16'.

SONIC 16' OH GAWD

GoldenSun3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not a "25th anniversary" game. They said they're working on a new game, nothing about it being a special 25th anniversary game.

This isn't news any more than if Nintendo said they were working on a new Mario game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What would HD and widescreen do for Sonic? The games seem pretty well designed around seeing only so much of the screen. Expanding the area visible would then change the game pretty fundamentally from where I sit, and I guess if they want to do scaling up to dodge issues with emulation of older video modes no longer supported it could work but it is not like 16 bit Sonic is some ugly at release and time has done it no favours N64 game.

If they wanted to make a whole new game with those trappings then I would be up for that but doing it to classic Sonic would be a lot of work for not much gain.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would HD and widescreen do for Sonic? The games seem pretty well designed around seeing only so much of the screen. Expanding the area visible would then change the game pretty fundamentally from where I sit, and I guess if they want to do scaling up to dodge issues with emulation of older video modes no longer supported it could work but it is not like 16 bit Sonic is some ugly at release and time has done it no favours N64 game.

If they wanted to make a whole new game with those trappings then I would be up for that but doing it to classic Sonic would be a lot of work for not much gain.

I just mean use that so called retro engine like the other 3 games and make a sonic 3 game, have online 2 player modes and even local 2 player modes and such, unused features (cut and removed features back into the game) for fun and games. i like sonic 2 on android but wish it had been made for consoles, only sonic cd 2011 got console release but not the sonic 1 and 2, probably cause consoles already had the genesis emulated ones already available before the games were being produced. Anyway.... now this.

The first video explains the history of the retro engine uses over the past 5 years and the second is the proof of concept video by "SIR CHRISTIAN WHITEHEAD" Himself of sonic 3 for mobile IN WIDESCREEN.:)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I just mean use that so called retro engine like the other 3 games and make a sonic 3 game, have online 2 player modes and even local 2 player modes and such, unused features (cut and removed features back into the game) for fun and games. i like sonic 2 on android but wish it had been made for consoles, only sonic cd 2011 got console release but not the sonic 1 and 2, probably cause consoles already had the genesis emulated ones already available before the games were being produced. Anyway.... now this.

The first video explains the history of the retro engine uses over the past 5 years and the second is the proof of concept video by "SIR CHRISTIAN WHITEHEAD" Himself of sonic 3 for mobile IN WIDESCREEN.:)

Or better yet, have SEGA make a new game using the Retro Sonic engine. It could make up for the issues many had with Sonic 4.

I like ROM hacks and all, but most hacks just recycle existing levels and add a few new elements. What I would like to see is SEGA coming out with a new-old Sonic game, with brand new levels (none of this reskinned-Green Hill Zone malarky).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or better yet, have SEGA make a new game using the Retro Sonic engine. It could make up for the issues many had with Sonic 4.

I like ROM hacks and all, but most hacks just recycle existing levels and add a few new elements. What I would like to see is SEGA coming out with a new-old Sonic game, with brand new levels (none of this reskinned-Green Hill Zone malarky).
Sonic 1 2 & 3 HD Collection, reskinned like sonic 4? :creep:

D

Deleted User

Oh, if that's what you meant, then I guess I would be OK with that. :)

By the way, that looks like Professor Oak in the background of that SFII pic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: 80s are the new 20s. +1