Sony announce PS4 sales surpass 30.2 million units worldwide

ps4-logo.jpg

Today Sony have announced the PS4 has surpassed 30 million units sold worldwide. Check out the full press release below:

Tokyo, November 25, 2015 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation(R)4 (PS4(TM)) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 30.2 million units*1 worldwide as of November 22. PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation(R) hardware history.

PS4 is a uniform system on which gamers everywhere can enjoy the same high-quality digital entertainment experiences. The rapid expansion of the PS4 platform further reinforces the foundation of delivering compelling entertainment experiences. Customers can choose from multiple offerings available on this most favored platform that ranges from games on discs or through digital download to a variety of services available on PlayStation(TM)Network, including PlayStation(R)Plus membership service, apps for streaming video, music and TV content. The 30.2 million PS4 owners around the world are spending more time playing games and enjoying entertainment content as the company further enriches content and services.

"We are sincerely grateful that gamers across the globe have continued to choose PS4 as the best place to play since launch two years ago," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "We are committed to bringing engaging games and entertainment services to users worldwide. Thanks to the support of our partners, PS4 continues to be the premier platform for game and interactive entertainment innovation."

The PS4 system's games portfolio will continue to broaden this holiday season and beyond with highly anticipated titles such as DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS (SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.), Ryu Ga GotokuKIWAMI (SEGA Games Co., Ltd.), Bloodborne The Old Hunters Edition,Gravity Rush Remastered, and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (SCE Worldwide Studios). The independent development community will also continue to deliver innovative new titles for PS4 including GALAK-Z (17-BIT) and Super Time Force Ultra (Capybara Games).*2

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.

The PS4 system is currently available in 124 countries and regions*3 worldwide.

###

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4(TM) sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 - 11/22/2015, in North America collected 11/15/2013 - 11/21/2015, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 - 11/21/2015, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 - 11/22/2015.
*2 Title line-up as well as the number of titles differ by region.
*3 Number as of 11/16/2015.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Counterpoint: I'm not spending fucking $1200 on a gaming PC when I can casually sit in my living room and play a PS4 for $400.
I agree with that, but I believe I can still wait some more playing on my old-gen consoles and shitty non-gaming PC until more appealing games arrive.
IMHO right now the PS4 is not so attractive, but I would buy it over a gaming PC because I believe the library will improve soon and it is relatively inexpensive as you stated.
Only that I think I can wait a little more for the library to improve and the prices to drop without really missing anything.
In short, what I said in my first post on this thread.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
When it comes strictly to cost people need to decide if they'll play enough games to warrant spending more on a PC. I did the math and it would be cheaper in my situation for me to buy a PS4 and all of my games (granted, I will never buy a game at $60) than it would be for me to build a PC and pirate all of the games.

Reactions: Online

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously don't get it. This thing is like a backstab to everything people liked about the first three generations' worth of hardware, and yet it's still selling like hotcakes while people treat the X1 and WiiU like boxed cancer. Yet most people that buy it treat it as a 400 dollar netflix machine, when there are cheaper options that allow streaming and bluray playback for much, much less. Including but not limited to a second-hand PS3. Which would have a larger selection of games to choose from.

I absolutely detest how PS Plus is both mandatory, and any games procured through it are basically leased. Per their own terms, if you let your subscription lapse, you lose access to the games, even though they were supposed to be free. Yes, Xbox Live is a must to play online on that ecosystem since even the original console, but games received through that for free stay free and accessible, even after the subscription lapses.

It Irks me how the PS4 won't even try to run your digitally purchased stuff from the PS3/PSP, either. They own the hardware rights, and know how it works better than anyone. They damn sure can make it work. But no, they have the audacity to charge for repurchasing "PS2 Classics", but then not let us use our actual PS2 discs on the system. Yet people fawn over the PS4 like it's a second/third/fourth coming of their lord and savior.

This all from the same company, that deliberately wrote a firmware update for PS3 to block non-Sony branded, licensed controllers... disregarding the variety of third party controller types that they won't even try to make. There was a big stink IIRC from the ADA itself, because one of the third-party licensed controllers was frequently used as a template to make controllers for those that weren't fully able bodied and thus needed a non-standard controller layout. Let alone how it blocked an arcade stick setup that costs $400 before the logic board to have it connect to a PS3 is factored in. But if you even so much as ask Sony to re-enable access for these kinds of peripherals, they ban your account and your system. :tpi:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not XBO games though. They changed that.
You need a active XBLive membership to play your XBO games that you got through games with Gold.
Then, that gives me even less reason to consider any console this generation.

Between that, and the stupid EULA update that Nintendo shoved on the WiiU, I feel like it might be best to sit this generation out entirely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1