Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot get over how ugly this thing looks. The fact they just sawed a dualsense in half and stuck a tablet between is so funny to me.

Modding potential is there though! However it's probably pretty low-specced considering it's streaming only.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's a possibility that the os (or is it an app of some sort?) used in this device could be brought/ ported to Android devices, mimicking this device does (not emulating)? As most modern smart phones are capable enough so it shouldn't be an issue, so we could do what this streaming device supposed to do, well, with our phones instead.. :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah they gotta reproduce somehow