Sony says it's not the right time for an all digital platform

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And then, because of Sony's draconian Terms of Use, even if you always have internet, if you buy it (digitally), delete it for any reason, and then refuse to update to a new firmware, Sony will refuse to let you download your legally purchased content again. Sorry, but no thanks.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And then, because of Sony's draconian Terms of Use, even if you always have internet, if you buy it (digitally), delete it for any reason, and then refuse to update to a new firmware, Sony will refuse to let you download your legally purchased content again. Sorry, but no thanks.
That's the same for every online service ever.

That's ridiculous.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
every software update on any system (well 360 and PS3 anyway, no idea about Wii) will deny you online access if you dont update

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't like the idea of digital only for a number of reasons. Do anyone think physical media would be wipe out all together? How long do you think we have
for that?

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even care about owning physicals games anymore... on PC at least.
People don't really have a problem with owning digital copies on a PC because you can back up and restore your games if you ever lost them. I don't think it would be as easy on say a console like the ps3 or vita. You couldn't just grab a copy of the game from another ps3 and move it onto your own. Heck, even if you backed up your ps3s Hard drive, some (if not all) downloadable games require you to connect to PSN to download the activation key.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Switching to a digital-only console all at once would be too sudden. People need a transitional platform where they'll be able to compare and contrast digital and physical copies.

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iPhone has certainly show a digital platform can work, but it only has smaller downloads to begin with.
Most apps are only a few megabytes whilst your professional developed full-featured game can be several gigabytes and be high budget.

Personally I hope they never push for a completely digital platform because it would mean the death of game stores, a pivotal part of driving the industry for everyone's sake.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Downloading games would be crappy anyway... Imagine it in Australia, you would still wait awhile for the big games!

Edit: Or anywhere else with crappy internet.

Actually where I live I have quite good internet for a cheap Price. I can get 4 Gigabyte files in a little over an Hour and retain the speed over three computers with wireless connections.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear on my stance on this, I don't think all digital downloads will ever completely take over, unless the feature was somehow integrated into a computer OS or something. Like buying games off of a place like Steam and transferring them to a console from a comp.

But it doesn't matter because we won't have to download a thing in 2078 :creep:

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
at most, there is only a small slice of the overall population that's enjoying an internet service that doesn't suck balls, whether due to pricing or to stability or whatnots. pure digital platforms will only be really feasible once people are used to cloud computing--this means both the infrastructure and the accessibility of the service.

*casts Wisdom buff on self*

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPhone has certainly show a digital platform can work, but it only has smaller downloads to begin with.
Most apps are only a few megabytes whilst your professional developed full-featured game can be several gigabytes and be high budget.

It mainly worked because it never had a physical alternative. The PSP, on the other hand, had been all about physical media and dropping that completely for a more expensive and smaller digital library was just a bad choice.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe the main reason digital only will never work is due to price cuts and sales being less common, as well as the inabilty to share or sell back items.
Just look as the PSPGo, the library is far more expensive than shop prices even though there is no need to pay for packaging or store space.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to be clear on my stance on this, I don't think all digital downloads will ever completely take over, unless the feature was somehow integrated into a computer OS or something. Like buying games off of a place like Steam and transferring them to a console from a comp.

But it doesn't matter because we won't have to download a thing in 2078 :creep:

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Vdh4TqWFfX4[/media]
Wow this is so awesome :O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb8Lb89dzg