OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Spotify

504x_Spotify-hed.jpg

Imagine a music app with instant access to any song you wanted to hear. Imagine creating a playlist from those songs and quickly, easily sharing it with friends. Such an app does exist, it's called Spotify, and it could change music forever.

What Is Spotify

In short, here's how it works: Spotify is a peer-to-peer music streaming service; it's a desktop application, but its content all comes via the cloud. Think of it as though the entire iTunes Music Store were actually just your library, and that instead of the poorly designed mess that it is, imagine that it was refreshingly streamlined, fast, and easy to search and use. That gives you a little bit of an idea what Spotify is like. It also works under Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux (using Wine).

The best part: It's completely legal. Spotify seeks out licensing deals with the music industry before going live, meaning it sits comfortably in the 100% legit territory.

The catch: Oh, you knew there'd be a catch, didn't you. Although they've told me they hope to make it stateside before the end of the year, Spotify is currently only available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the United Kingdom, France, and Spain.

In Spotify's free version, your music streams at approximately 160kbps using the Ogg Vorbis q5 codec

Link
spotify.com

Read More about Spoitfy
http://lifehacker.com/5330148/spotify-is-t...-weve-ever-used

So I have just started using this and I must say I am very impressed. Spotify is very good when you just what to listen to a chart song every now and again and the quality of the free streaming service is excellent. The best part though is search for a artist, album or genre and it will list all the songs by that artist or genre and play each song one after the other in one long playlist. So search for what you like and just leave it to play depending on who or what you want to listen to at the time! And once you have listen to a song once you can get it to cache it to your hard-drive so you don't have to download it next time you want to listen to it. you can set the directory and size of the cache which is very nice as well. Another nice feature is the artist biography tab which will give you a brief and some what entertaining history of the artist you are listen to. I like it because the quality of the streaming is very good and the option to make your own playlist is good and the fact that is free just seals the deal. Try it if you live in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the United Kingdom, France, and Spain.

Anyone else here used it and what are your thoughts?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Spotify is nice when used with computers that doesn't have my music library on it, but other than that there is no real use for it. There's also the fact that the music from Spotify is sent in very low quality meaning that it's not something I'd want to listen to unless I didn't have another option.

kalmis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah its pretty good. I use it at work now and then. Ideal when you want to check out some bands that you don't know full catalogue of. Ads can get pretty annoying but I just put volume down when I hear one. Mute wont work because they detect it, at least in the built-in volume control.
What also sucks little bit is that not all artist are there, such like Metallica to name one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1