Homebrew Stella-DS Improved

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not ready for a new official build - but I have just uploaded the daily build 5.4c with support for DPC+ and the first batch of ARM-assisted games.

I like to think there is a special place in heaven for those that dare to try stupid things. I don't even know how it's operating this fast... but it still needs a lot of work.

Some games are playable... Evil Magician Returns II is playable as is Epic Adventure - both in the upper 50s. The End and Tyre Trax are both playable in the mid 50s. Chaotic Grill is an unusual DPC+ game that uses the fast fetchers but no actual ARM assisted code... so that one will run full speed. Unfortunately, Space Rocks and Stay Frosty II are both only able to run in the low 30s...

I've pulled every trick I know of to get the new ARM Thumbulator core running super fast... but DPC+ is more than about the ARM core - there are fast fetchers and music fetchers and it's really just too much for the poor DSi to handle.

View attachment 331465
Post automatically merged:

Mwhahahahahah!

View attachment 331553
That place in heaven is full of heroes, and you're one of them! You said multiple times that adding DPC+ support would be impossible, but you've tried anyway just for the heck of it. One game is running full speed, so I believe we can reach 60fps for at least couple others. We are cheering on you, madman!

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The average speed for space rocks is around 35fps. To me it is playable, it is like an easy mode but we can play the title ;) Well done Dave !
Yeah... it's kinda weird to play it in slow motion. And there is some glitch with the rocks on the left edge of the screen that I have to debug.

I've managed another frame or two on DPC+ and will put out a 5.5 shortly.

The following ARM-assisted DPC+ games will now play reasonably well and you'll get enjoyment on StellaDS:

Chaotic Grill (easily 60 as it uses DPC+ features except ARM code)
Evil Magician Returns II (averages 60)
The Goons (averages 59)
Epic Adventure (averages 58)
Egg Venture (averages 58)
Space Cactus Canyon (averages 57)
The End (averages 57)
Grizzle Wap (averages 57)
Rail Slider (PAL60) (averages 56)
City Defense (averages 55)
Tyre Trax (averages 53)

The following play well enough to enjoy but you can tell they are not full speed:
Orb (averages 50)
Unholy (averages 50)
The Deep (averages 50)
Stratovox (averages 50)
Space Chaos (averages 47)

The following are just too slow...

Stay Frosty II (averages 35)
Space Rocks (averages 35)
Scramble Arcade (averages 37)

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah... it's kinda weird to play it in slow motion. And there is some glitch with the rocks on the left edge of the screen that I have to debug.

I've managed another frame or two on DPC+ and will put out a 5.5 shortly.

The following ARM-assisted DPC+ games will now play reasonably well and you'll get enjoyment on StellaDS:

Chaotic Grill (easily 60 as it uses DPC+ features except ARM code)
Evil Magician Returns II (averages 60)
The Goons (averages 59)
Epic Adventure (averages 58)
Egg Venture (averages 58)
Space Cactus Canyon (averages 57)
The End (averages 57)
Grizzle Wap (averages 57)
Rail Slider (PAL60) (averages 56)
City Defense (averages 55)
Tyre Trax (averages 53)

The following play well enough to enjoy but you can tell they are not full speed:
Orb (averages 50)
Unholy (averages 50)
The Deep (averages 50)
Stratovox (averages 50)
Space Chaos (averages 47)

The following are just too slow...

Stay Frosty II (averages 35)
Space Rocks (averages 35)
Scramble Arcade (averages 37)
Did you try Draconian and Champ Games' various titles?

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try Draconian and Champ Games' various titles?
Those are not DPC+... those are CDFJ and CDFJ+ which are another level of complexity - 4x the fast fetchers, fast jump support, variable ARM code and RAM... It's bananas :) The older Champ Games used DPC+ (Scramble and Space Rocks) but he's since moved on to an even more powerful engine. I can't run Scramble or Space Rocks above half-speed... so CDFJ games will be half that again. It's not worth the effort.

But... in the meantime... 5.5 is released!

https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Those are not DPC+... those are CDFJ and CDFJ+ which are another level of complexity - 4x the fast fetchers, fast jump support, variable ARM code and RAM... It's bananas :) The older Champ Games used DPC+ (Scramble and Space Rocks) but he's since moved on to an even more powerful engine. I can't run Scramble or Space Rocks above half-speed... so CDFJ games will be half that again. It's not worth the effort.

But... in the meantime... 5.5 is released!

https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS
Oh damn, I didn't know they were completely different mappers. It's kinda bonkers you managed to get these running in the first place, so I won't expect extremely complex homebrew to play at 60fps :rofl2:
I'll gave 5.5 a try now

Reactions: wavemotion

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a fresh cup of coffee I fixed the graphical glitches in Space Rocks. They are hitting Player/Missile RESET too early after an HMOVE. The new versions of Stella perfectly emulate the Atari TIA chip but the older version I use (the accurate version is too slow) uses the old Stella way of detecting these illegal moves on a game-by-game basis and corrects the position. I've debugged and added the correction for Space Rocks so that the rocks and ships no longer graphically shift on the left side of the screen.

I'm also 90% sure I know what the other glitch is... a semi-long pause occasionally in gameplay. I think that's because we're running out of time to run the ARM assembly for this game as it's complex... you can circumvent that by pressing SELECT to launch the game which will run in full-speed / unthrottled which won't rely on timers. At least until I can actually get the speed needed to play it properly
🙂

Lastly - the game will gain a few frames of performance if you use solid rocks instead of the "vector" default outlines... probably less intensive for the game to generate that.

311611897_10229139053724735_3435175036015750232_n.jpg

Last edited by wavemotion,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 5.6 is released! https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS

V5.6 : 14-Oct-2022 by wavemotion-dave
  • Massive speedup improvement for DPC+ games. Most play full speed on the DSi.
  • Fixed graphical glitches on Space Rocks homebrew.
  • Other cleanups and optimizations across the board to shine things up.

If you try this on a DSi please let me know how the DPC+ games are running... you'll find most are playable at full speed and even Space Rocks and Frantic (look for the last DPC+ version from 2014... the 2020 version uses CDFJ) are playable now. I've tried 35 DPC+ games and can report that most play full-speed and those that are really complex will at least be playable on the DSi.

Feedback is always appreciated - even if I've heard from you before :)

Last edited by wavemotion,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw that Grizzards v1.1 was posted today at https://star-hope.org/games/Grizzards/download.html

This is a 64K Turn-Based RPG for the Atari 2600 - That's 16x larger than the normal addressable memory space on the venerable 2600! And yes, StellaDS plays it fine - it supports save key for progress. Be sure to grab this one - it's a major accomplishment on many fronts.

1665918730474.png

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 5.7 is released! https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS

V5.7 : 18-Oct-2022 by wavemotion-dave
  • Fixed Sword of Surtr so it plays properly.
  • Added TWIN STICK controller so games like Rail Slider are playable!
  • More DPC+ optimizations... Space Rocks is almost full speed!
  • Minor cleanup across the board.

For now that's a wrap... I'm getting close to burn out again on this one as I just shift bits around looking for another half-frame of performance. The DPC+ stuff with ARM Thumbulator is pretty nice - most of the DPC+ games run full speed... the notable holdouts are Space Rocks (upper 50s and close enough to full speed), Stay Frosty 2 (averages mid-50s but fluctuates) and Scramble (50-ish plus or minus). The other 40 DPC+ games I tried are full speed on the DSi with TWL++ or Unlaunch. Special thanks to @CrashMidnick for his help in testing. I hope people enjoy the result - the effort was monumental :)

I'm going to move on to adding some long-missing features to A7800DS.

b2p1mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For now that's a wrap... I'm getting close to burn out again on this one as I just shift bits around looking for another half-frame of performance. The DPC+ stuff with ARM Thumbulator is pretty nice - most of the DPC+ games run full speed... the notable holdouts are Space Rocks (upper 50s and close enough to full speed), Stay Frosty 2 (averages mid-50s but fluctuates) and Scramble (50-ish plus or minus). The other 40 DPC+ games I tried are full speed on the DSi with TWL++ or Unlaunch. Special thanks to @CrashMidnick for his help in testing. I hope people enjoy the result - the effort was monumental :)

I downloaded the latest 5.7.nds file and placed it into a folder where i have other homebrew. I get stuck on two white screens on my DSi using latest twilightmenu++. I also notice that same error happens with a version of NesDS that I wanted to try out...I have a homebrew port of Mario64 in the same folder that works fine... I don't recall changing any twilightmenu++ settings... is there something i need to do to make these work?

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Special thanks to @CrashMidnick for his help in testing.

My pleasure, Dave !
Thanks for this new update :)
Post automatically merged:

I downloaded the latest 5.7.nds file and placed it into a folder where i have other homebrew. I get stuck on two white screens on my DSi using latest twilightmenu++. I also notice that same error happens with a version of NesDS that I wanted to try out...I have a homebrew port of Mario64 in the same folder that works fine... I don't recall changing any twilightmenu++ settings... is there something i need to do to make these work?

Try this :

1) Backup your _NDS folder + boot.nds located at the root of your SD card to your computer
2) Delete them from the SD card
3) Download TWL++ (for DSi !) again and copy the _NDS folder + boot.nds on your sd card
4) Retry

Latest StellaDS + latest TWL++ work on my side.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

If you're getting close to burn out again, it might also be a good idea to optimize A5200DS and get some extra performance out of it. I've recently tried a fan-made port of Bosconian on my DSi, and it runs perfectly fine most of the time. But when a voice sample plays it slows down to a crawl. I suspect it's much different than Berzerk, maybe you know something more about it?

Last edited by Cris1997XX,
Reactions: CrashMidnick

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're getting close to burn out again, it might also be a good idea to optimize A5200DS and get some extra performance out of it. I've recently tried a fan-made port of Bosconian on my DSi, and it runs perfectly fine most of the time. But when a voice sample plays it slows down to a crawl. I suspect it's much different than Berzerk, maybe you know something more about it?
Yeah, the voice sampling on the 5200 causes too much swapping of memory and I can't keep up... but the same game written for the Atari 8-bit (where it was originally written - the A5200 is a port of that) runs flawlessly on the XEGS-DS emulator (voice sounds awesome). The Atari 8-bit has so much more memory than the poor 5200 ;)

djleviticus

Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks once again for all your hard work, playing scramble arcade on a DSi is great.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're quite welcome dj - always glad to see anyone use this emulator and enjoying the experience!

Not a new build but did check in two long-standing improvements to the "starfield" effect that should now properly show the stars in Stay Frosty and Rabbit Transit. Cosmic Ark was the first to exploit a strange behavior in the Atari TIA video chip where if you hit the registers at exactly the right time, you could trick it into doing some cool and funky patterns usually referred to as a "starfield effect" (the color dots that move around in Cosmic Ark). Stay Frosty and Rabbit Transit use the same effect but slightly different methods that were not properly emulated before - they are now.

1666178025894.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I...