Melee54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what the problem is. I use my friend's laptop to burn backups, and they work fine.

However, for ALL of the backups that I burn using my own PC, the backups work perfectly only ONCE. Then I can never load them again. I either get a disc read error, or a green screen.

Is it my burner, even though it clearly worked the first time?

Using Verbatim DVD-Rs.

Thanks...

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
reinstall your cIOS again , and burn Verbatim at x4 speed only
wink.gif
good luck

Melee54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what I did a few days ago... Same results.

I always burn at the lowest speed I can, which is 4x.

Strange.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
it happened to me cus i use cheap branded dvd-r. never happened with verbatim.. hm. u need to test using different burner.
btw, u use nero or imgburn?

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So basically you're saying that if you use one of your discs and burn it on your friend's PC the burn will be fine whereas if you burn it on your PC the disc only seems to work once... right?

If that's the case then it's got to be something to do with the burning process. Have you tried checking the quality of the burn using DVDinfo Pro? (PI, PO, jitter tests section)

My burns come out at with a quality rating of 97/98% every time and I've not had any issues with them. I think you'll find a difference between the discs burned on your mate's PC and the ones you're doing. If you do then it's your burner or something that's causing you the grief. Might have to resort to burning everything on your mate's if you don't fancy getting a new one? Another possibility is that you need to update your burner's firmware. I used to get problems on an old burner and once I'd updated it my burns were fine.

Hope that helps
smile.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Tichinde925 said:
Why burn at 4X when you can burn at 16X?

I've burned everything at 16X and have gotten zero disc errors on EVERYTHING I have burned: ISOs, Data DVDs, DVDs, etc...

And here we go again with the Speed-Discussion...
rolleyes.gif
. I can only say for me that I burned Deadly Creatures at 8x and 4x. 8x was very noisy, 4x was realy quiet, but both worked...

@Topic: I would also say it's your Drive. And everything what you can do was said: Clean your Laser, burn at slow speed, use IMGBurn. If that don't work, maybe update the Firmware for the DVD-Drive? If nothing will work, I would start to think for a USB-Drive...

Melee54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've got a CD Laser Lens cleaner that I bought years ago for my PS1. It's got little brushes on the bottom of the CD... Will that work on the wii without destroying it?... Or should I use that on my PC's burner?

I haven't checked the quality of my burns using that program... I'm not sure if there's a need, considering mine never work and my friend's always do.
tongue.gif

I've already updated the firmware to my burner. I think I might just need a new one.

But I still don't see how they would work perfect the first time I play them, then just stop...

Also, I've tried Nero and Imgburn and ended up with the same results. I've got a "16x capable" burner, but if I burn anything faster than 4x, it will fail within seconds lol.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
then you have a very crappy PC, some DVD's can support the writting below 8X, and verbatim has some bad quality productions, I bought one of those spindles, check the Disc ID of the DVD with ImgBurn and check that it is MCC 00..something, those are the real good quality Verbatims, if they are Disc ID: MBIPG101-R05-01, then they are made in India and they wont work, just like: Disc ID: RITEK-R05-01 made in taiwan, I had to change to Sony cause now I don't trust in verbatim anymore...!!
smile.gif

Melee54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I've got the good kind... "Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20"

I'm gonna try the laser lens cleaner on my PC.

But I'm cautious about using it on the wii. Is it safe?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I read that DVD cleaners do not work with the Wii.

Best to just just unscrew the case, get some rubbing alochol and some q-tips, and gently apply it onto the laser.

How to clean the laser:

QUOTE(Edfishy;4091189) said:
( If you're going to attempt to clean the laser, please do so with caution. This will likely void any warranty, but it is however useful to know how to perform home repairs on consoles)

Hi there, we picked up Smash Brothers Brawl last night at a midnight releasing and were shocked to find that our Wii couldn't read the disc. We've got a smoker in the house and it's a sure bet there was plenty of dust in there, so it was a given the laser was likely too dusty to read the dual layered Smash Disc. Still, this was very disappointing and will result in quite a few Wii and Smash Brawl returns.

We've taken apart both of our GameCube's in the past to adjust the laser frequency dial so they would continue to read game discs, so we figured disassembling the Wii must be relatively similar. Unfortunately, the Wii uses a triwing screwdriver, which we weren't willing to wait to have shipped now that we had gone out and gotten Brawl early.

Fortunately, it appears that the "Husky 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver" set appears to work if you apply a little force and set it correctly into the triwing screw slots. Use the smallest Phillips bit included in the set, as it seems to fit the best. The Husky bit did seem to start bending by the time were were finished with it, so just keep an eye on it.

smashfix.jpg

Just remove the screws on the outer shell, carefully remove the panels until you can clearly see the disc-loader, and then apply a cotton ear swab and a dab of rubbing alcohol to the laser's lens (it'll look glassy and shiny, can't miss it). Use a different clean cotton ear swab to dry the lens, put the Wii's panels back together, and whalla, Brawl works again for however long you can keep your Wii dust-free.

smashfix2.jpg

The arrow is where you can access the Wii's Laser lens, the "X" is about where the lens are located.

Once we're done playing Brawl for a bit, I might post up complete photographic instructions, but I don't think that's terribly necessary. I would suggest however that you watch a video of a Wii being disassembled on YouTube before attempting anything, and again use caution and don't do anything obviously destructive.

Disassembling a Wii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc

Step by Step Guide to Disassemble a Wii (Only go to Step 13)
http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewpto...m=10&topic=377

Anywho, just wanted to let any of you who've had a similiar problem know that it's not too hard to fix.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150846

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Melee54 said:
I think I've got the good kind... "Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20"

I'm gonna try the laser lens cleaner on my PC.

But I'm cautious about using it on the wii. Is it safe?

The discs you're using are exactly the same ones I've got (MCC 03RG20).

Also, I don't think your Wii needs its lens cleaned if the discs you've burned on your mate's PC work. The problem is not with your Wii, it's your burning. No other explanation. If you use ImgBurn (which I'd recommend) do you burn them at the slowest speed and, importantly, are you doing a verify as well?

Melee54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
richy said:
The discs you're using are exactly the same ones I've got (MCC 03RG20).

Also, I don't think your Wii needs its lens cleaned if the discs you've burned on your mate's PC work. The problem is not with your Wii, it's your burning. No other explanation. If you use ImgBurn (which I'd recommend) do you burn them at the slowest speed and, importantly, are you doing a verify as well?

I do use IMGburn, and I burn at the slowest speed it will let me, which is 4x. However, verification never works. It freezes halfway through...

I need a new PC.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Catnip high