Gaming [Subjective] How to make L.A. Noire more enjoyable (PC)

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I've started the game several times on multiple platforms, and am now about to finish it on PC - which curiously enough is not the 'best platform' to play the game as of now, as Rockstar did a remaster for PS4, XBONE and Switch, where they increased texture quality and added new lighting. The PC version never received that treatment.

Maybe that made me look around for mods, or graphical overhauls - and although I'm not usually someone that turns to Reshade, or other software solutions that allow you to lay post processing filters over a game, and or change its color scheme, I'm absolutely glad that I did in this case.

Chill's LA Noire Reshade v1.1 ( https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/8303/ ) rebalances the color scheme to a warmer, more sepia tone, adds fake HDR, enhances FXAA, and makes the entire game just an overall more pleasant experience as far as I am concerned. (Mostly by not overdoing its tweaks.)

Whoever at the publisher or the creative studio decided to give this game a desaturated blue tint, was wrong. ;) When I think of 1940s Los Angeles, I want a warm color scheme (golden sunsets, desaturated sepia), not constantly feel, like my monitor was miscalibrated (pushing blue.. ;) ).

Comparison screenshots can be viewed under the link above - and that would be it, if it werent for all the steps needed to get this working. ;)

Basically Rockstar broke L.A. Noire launching with one of the more recent social club updates. So if you get a socialclubl.dll error, or the game simply crashes out before launching, the solution to still play it currently (on Win 10) is this one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/110800/discussions/0/537405286636693018/
So you start regedit, delete the registry entries for Rockstars Social Club, then launch the social club installer that comes with L.A. Noire, and let it install (an older version). The install then updates once, but not to the current version (that causes the game to crash), and you are good.

If you want to play another Rockstar game (lets say GTA V), upon launching that, it will usually update social club to the most current version, thereby breaking L.A. Noire again, at which point you'd have to repeat the described process. ;) At least reupdating to a current version is seamless.. (account gets pulled over).

Also to get the current reshade to work with Chill's LA Noire Reshade v1.1 .ini file, you also need to go through some additional steps.

When you first install Reshade (current version 4.6.1 is fine) and select LA Noire, make sure you install it in Direct3D 9 mode, install all the required shaders (see: Chills LA Noire Reshade v1.1 Readme) from the libraries that are already ticked by default, except those that are missing (two), go through the entire install, dont launch the game, install Reshade on the same LA Noire .exe again, this time select Direct3D 10+ mode, in addition to the libraries already ticked by default, also tick 'legacy shaders (from older Reshade versions)', reinstall all the shaders you installed before, and the two that were missing.

In game the Reshade key combo has changed from shift+F2 to Pos1 (key), once you've got that menu on screen in game, follow the Chill's LA Noire Reshade v1.1 Readme again.

Thats it.

Game looks and feels much better. So much so, that I thought I'd make a thread about it. ;)

(As a stickler for color accurate image reproduction, that usually never uses reshade to change a games visual look, except in this case. :) )

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: rogerramjet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage