GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm tempted to buy a used PSP from EB Games (the Canadian version of Gamestop), and I'm wondering what I should be looking for when buying one.

From what I understand from reading the stickies, to fully hack it, I want a PSP 1000 or 2000 (although some newer ones have different motherboards that can't be hacked fully, even if they are under 5.03? I think.)

So, is this a good idea? Bad idea? What should I be looking for (physical appearance, things I should look for).

Also, if I do decide to get one, could someone point me in the direction of a helpful topic that compares and contrasts the different CFW's available? It all seems very confusing to me.
(DS flashcarts just make everything so simple)

Thanks.

UPDATE: Bought me a used PSP (silver) and the OFW is 5.50, so I don't know what to do now... See the my post on the 2nd page for more details.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All 1000's can be hacked. Special edition 2000's can be hacked.
If the PSP has a newer motherboard but a firmware no greater than 5.03 it can be semi-hacked.

There are EB Games in America.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
You will want a 1000 or a 2000.

With 1000 models no need to be picky as ALL are fully hackable, flashable and pandorable.

With 2000 the best thing to do is go for Bundles with confirmed hackable motherboards, e.g Daxter or Star Wars.
Motherboard run down for Slim, these are the ones you should look for:
-TA-085v1: Hackable and can create Pandora's
-TA-085v2: Hackable but cannot create Pandora's
-TA-088v1: Hackable but cannot create Pandora's
-TA-088v2: Hackable but cannot create Pandora's
-TA-090v1: Hackable but cannot create Pandora's

The one Motherboard you want to stay away from is the TA-088v3 motherboard, which is the most common these days, and is virtually every core console, this is why it is better to buy bundles which were only distributed with a certain motherboard.

There are three different firmwares currently out:
- M33: Latest is 5.00 M33-6, Old and some people might say 'outdated' (Prepare to be flamed) but it does the job, and has superior Homebrew and PS1 (Popsloader) support
- GEN: Latest is 5.50 GEN-D3-FINAL, This is a more updated version and can auto-patch games that require 6.xx, M33 users can get this by the plugin (Apart from 6.20+ games which require Prometheus) it has less compatibility with Homebrew and PS1 games but as I see it a better game compatibility.
- PROMETHEUS: It's unstable but good if you're new I guess. It implements the 'Prometheus' patching method into the firmware so you don't have to manually patch the 6.20 and above game to run it e.g. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Modnation Racers require this patch. The version you would be wanting would be 5.50 PROMETHEUS, I still prefer 5.50 GEN-D3 myself but the choice is up to you. This is nowhere near a complete rundown and I suggest you look more into it before deciding which firmware you would like to use.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Magmorph said:
Oh. I wasn't aware.

QUOTE(luke_c @ Jul 16 2010, 12:14 AM) You will want a 1000 or a 2000.

With 1000 models no need to be picky as ALL are fully hackable, flashable and pandorable.

I guess a Pandora battery isn't necessary for hacking, but makes it easier?
I assume that there's no way to have installs of different firmware on the same device either.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rad140 said:
Magmorph said:
Oh. I wasn't aware.

QUOTE(luke_c @ Jul 16 2010, 12:14 AM) You will want a 1000 or a 2000.

I assume that there's no way to have installs of different firmware on the same device either.
You need a pandora if you have a firmware above 5.03. You can't have more than 1 firmware at the same time.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
rad140 said:
If your PSP comes with a firmware higher than 5.03 (I think it's 5.03, not sure) you will have to use a Pandora battery so you can downgrade the PSP's firmware to a suitable firmware that will allow you to install the custom firmware.

No, there's no way to run more than one CFW on a PSP without reflashing.

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any 1000 is hackable, but most people want a 2000.

The easiest way to grab a guaranteed hackable 2000 without checking any serials or anything is to find a psp from one of the bundles. Silver Daxter bundle works, red God of War bundle works, I believe white StarWars works too, and half of the blue Madden ones work.

overslept

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask if you can turn the PSP on and see if the screen has any dead pixels.

EDIT: actually, if they let you turn the PSP on, you might as well check the firmware of it too to see if you'll need a pandora or not.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for everyone's replies.

From what I've been reading around, any PSP with OFW 5.03 or below can be hacked. Only the ones mentioned above can be fully hacked, correct?

I'm somewhat tempted to buy whatever is the best deal, or newest used model and just see how far hacking-wise I can get.

Anyone have a quick guide to serial numbers (for just the PSP, not the boxes)? I've seen conflicting reports, but apparently anything that doesn't start with HU2 (the serial sticker behind the battery) is completely hackable?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
luke_c said:
rad140 said:
If your PSP comes with a firmware higher than 5.03 (I think it's 5.03, not sure) you will have to use a Pandora battery so you can downgrade the PSP's firmware to a suitable firmware that will allow you to install the custom firmware.

No, there's no way to run more than one CFW on a PSP without reflashing.

Actually, running more than one CFW without flashing is possible but it requires a Pandora battery and is a pain to set up. Basically, you dump all the firmware versions you want to use and then use Time Machine to boot the one you want (unless you want to boot the CFW in NAND). Unfortunately, I have not found a guide to manually install firmware to Time Machine so it will take some experimenting.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
From what I understand, some PSP games require firmware updates to work.

I'd like to buy some used PSP games to play, either before or after hacking.

Could I play some of the more recent PSP games after I hack it, or is it going to force me to update the firmware?

overslept

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about buying UMDs and playing them on cfw?

I think it should work. No promises though; I've never owned a UMD
wink.gif

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I went out and bought me a used PSP. It's silver, and refurbished (they're all like that, I guess).

I couldn't check the firmware in store, as the batteries on all of them are empty.

Home now, and turns out it's at 5.51 OFW.

I don't think I can check the motherboard using PSPident unless it's 5.03.

The only other thing I can think of would be to upgrade to 6.20, and use the Half Byte Loader/Patapon 2 Demo exploit to run PSPident that way (if that's possible).

A Pandora battery is probably out of the question as I only have 30 days to return the PSP, and would buying one online to Canada would probably take too long (Speaking of which, any good sites for Pandora batteries that ship to Canada? If that's allowed to be posted).

...Unless there's something else I could do (or another method) that I'm unaware of.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Arwing789 said:
It's a silver psp 2000? It has a 100% hackable mobo. Just buy a Pandora so you can downgrade.

Yes. Refurbished form Gamestop/EB Games, although I don't think that means much other than they check it to make sure it turns on.

I'm still tempted to try the 6.20 exploit and run PSPident just to be sure, but if you say so.

QUOTE(Arwing789 @ Jul 22 2010, 01:34 AM) Just buy a Pandora so you can downgrade.

Speaking of which, know any good sites that are cheap (cost and/or shipping) and ship to Canada?

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
OP
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
It's the ice silver slim? Yeah, that one came in the "Daxter Pack", fully hackable, I love mine.
Yeah, that's it. 5.51 OFW, unfortunately. That means I have to get a Pandora battery, I believe.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Jul 22 2010, 03:40 AM) Assuming somebody didn't take the internals of another model and swap them into the ice silver's case...
I'm hoping not... The screws look untouched. According to the box, it was "Cleaned, Tested, and Guaranteed" by Gamestop/EB Games. I'm hoping that doesn't mean swapping out motherboards...I think I'm just being paranoid.

I don't think I'll be able to get a Pandora in less than 30 days to Canada (the return policy).

So, I'm thinking of upgrading to 6.20, using the exploit to get access to homebrew, and running PSPident to double-check the motherboard.

Then, I could downgrade it with a Pandora, correct?
Or return it if it, unlikely, turns out to be an unhackable motherboard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1