emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever actually played them in multiplayer?
The games quickly turn into a mess with everyone attempting to do their own thing.

Because that can't be replicated in online multiplayer? You're not really giving any reasons why it wouldn't work in online but in local multiplayer.

because you would not be able to punch your friend in the face after they killed you on purpose for the 5th time

or yell at them to pop up the bubble when you are waiting to come back while they are running the whole level alone

Dude, voice chat.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why's that?
If I may speak on Catboy's behalf, it's due to communication and co-operation. It's hard enough to work together with a friend as you're knocking about with each other accidentally just trying to get through the level.

With online, it would be much harder. Unless you're playing with friends, you have no idea who you're playing with. Which means you won't be able to work together because you don't understand what each person is trying to do. The only way to try and avoid that would be to include a kind of chat function but it's a family game, so it wouldn't be wise in the event that a 5 year old comes across some foul-mouthed teenager with sexual frustration in an online Mario game.

Yes, other Nintendo games have worked well, but that is because of the type of game. Mario Kart is competitive, so you don't need communication with the other players. The same goes for Smash Bros. Kid Icarus still works despite need of co-operation because they're also in competition with another team. There is a direct task at hand, and only one way to do it; same goes for Luigi's Mansion's online.

But with Mario, you've got a Time Limit to complete the level; and the rest is just chaos.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because that can't be replicated in online multiplayer? You're not really giving any reasons why it wouldn't work in online but in local multiplayer.
mariofanatic64 pretty much summed it up for me
The games require proper communication and co-operation, something you can't do properly online with a complete stranger.

If I may speak on Catboy's behalf, it's due to communication and co-operation. It's hard enough to work together with a friend as you're knocking about with each other accidentally just trying to get through the level.

With online, it would be much harder. Unless you're playing with friends, you have no idea who you're playing with. Which means you won't be able to work together because you don't understand what each person is trying to do. The only way to try and avoid that would be to include a kind of chat function but it's a family game, so it wouldn't be wise in the event that a 5 year old comes across some foul-mouthed teenager with sexual frustration in an online Mario game.

Yes, other Nintendo games have worked well, but that is because of the type of game. Mario Kart is competitive, so you don't need communication with the other players. The same goes for Smash Bros. Kid Icarus still works despite need of co-operation because they're also in competition with another team. There is a direct task at hand, and only one way to do it; same goes for Luigi's Mansion's online.

But with Mario, you've got a Time Limit to complete the level; and the rest is just chaos.

Thanks btw! ^_^

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot that it's stupid of us to criticize Nintendo for having a basic feature that in no way impedes the rest of the game and can only add to it.

Obviously the game is better locally but that's no reason why you can't have local and online for more well rounded options.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
Why waste development time and funds on a likely bad online multiplayer when it could be used for an even better single player? Mario games are known for strong single player rather than the multiplayer aspects, so I'm not sure why people are surprised about this.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I would never play a Mario game online. So I don't care. And I also see the reasoning behind this, since most poeple are assholes and would just hinder you insted of help you so sitting next to the fucker that just killed you is much better than sitting somewhere alone. Also developing an online structure is expensive as shit.

THAT being said, I believe it is a mistake to not provide an online experience since a lot of people would like that. But I guess it doesn't matter anyway since it's a Mario game, it will sell anyway...

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Personally, I don't mind that. Local multiplayer is always much much better than anything online multiplayer related. Plus, we're talking Mario here. Why would you want to play online? I can understand Mario Kart, but Super Mario 3D World? The only purpose of an online multiplayer mode would be to annoy each and every person when the one(s) you're playing with will steal all your items and coins. I'm happy with this, really. Online multiplayers should be a focus in games like X or Mario Kart, but no way in a platformer like Mario.
This! Online platformers don't work like this, not like this. Only with a friend you're voice chatting with, then it has a chance of success. Else, no, don't do it.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would've been nice to include the option, especially a private match for friends only - as has been mentioned online with strangers will most likely become a trolling mess.. but hey, multiplayer NSMBWii is chaotic enough local anyway!
Still, definitely no deal breaker! I've got a gf and 2 lads, and all of us will play at some point or another, but a sequel to SM3DLand? I'm all over the single player mode anyway, anything else is just fluff for me!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would much rather a game have great single player than try and have the designers try to work out some tacked on multi player.

That being said this is a multi player game from the looks of it, but with one problem. It's one of those games that requires split second timing, split second timing split up 5 ways over the internet isn't an easy thing to pull off, one person lags for even a second and 5 people are having a bad time.

Either way it's all theoretical, the game is single player or local multi player, if you have no friends the game is still going to be fun. At the end of the day that's how I measure if a game was good or not "Did I have fun playing it? If it was not fun, was the story at least engaging enough to convince me to finish it?"

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Why waste development time and funds on a likely bad online multiplayer when it could be used for an even better single player? Mario games are known for strong single player rather than the multiplayer aspects, so I'm not sure why people are surprised about this.
Not only this but the problem with online platforming games is lag, in Mario Kart players living far away or players with bad connections resulted in the karts glitching a bit and not getting hit at times. Sometimes players fall off ledges and instantly gets back on the track due to having lost connection for a millisecond or something.
However with a platformer lag plays a much bigger role due to the precision involved when interacting with the world and player 2 while both systems are trying to calculate player positions and other outcome.
The syncing would have to be seamless for the two games to decide and agree what to do in some situations as there are so many possible glitches that can happen if data packets are delayed.

I would like someone to point out a game that accomplishes this, has there been any online 3d platforming games that actually worked in the past? Most online games out there work with a little bit of lag because there's stuff that makes up for it and disturb the game outcome that much. To my knowledge the only practical way of doing online is to have the other players show up as a ghosts, like time trial ghosts, there being no way of interacting with those players and them interacting with stuff in your own stage, meaning that both games doesn't really have to sync flawlessly for it to work.

A way of making a multiplayer Mario online platformer work the way people expect is to have it within a single country and invest in insanely huuuge amounts of money on dedicated servers capable of doing the most important calculations from there instead of having the two systems synced. I don't see a reason to invest in that kind of research for a title like Mario 3D World where it isn't needed, this is a case where it would actually detract from the single player experience due to how much time and money it would cost. People expecting an online feature in their 3D platformers are like people expecting their Wii U to come with a toaster functionality. It's dumb.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am actually glad they did this, I mean I can't be the only one who's getting tired of all this online multiplayer and social crap they're forcing upon us these days. When I start a game I just want to play and not have situations like
"Looking for internet access.""..."
"Some random stranger wants to be your friend, do you accept?" "No.."
"These poor bastards are also online." "Whatever."
"Idiot no. 5 is also playing this game." "I don't care."
"Idiot no. 5 invites you for this game." "What? No, fuck off."
Then, when you're finally playing the game:
"Random dude 29 is now online." "That's it, I'm done"

Now of course this is a gross exaggeration, but there have been times that there were so many notifications of people coming online or sending messages that I just quit. It might just be that I'm getting too old for this shit, but it seems to me that the only thing that matters these days is the online multiplayer when it really shouldn't.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Meh, I don't particularly care. Chances are I'll play with my sister from times to times then solo the game anyway, like I did with New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Obviously the game is better locally but that's no reason why you can't have local and online for more well rounded options.

here are some from mariofan:

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puttting in Online Multiplayer doesn't hurt Mario in the slightest, but satisfies all the people that demand playing with random people online. You still have your precious single player and local player. Its downright mean as a gamer for you to want Nintendo exclude such a critical feature in today's pace of gaming from other gamers, just because it doesn't conform to your tastes. I didn't want Nintendo to put in "instructional videos" to teach n00bs how to play their games and solve puzzles, but Nintendo did it anyways, and because I don't use them, they never effect me. I didn't want Nintendo to put in Easy modes for Fire Emblem and Donkey Kong, but they did it anyways, and it didn't effect me when played the game on normal.

I mean its twenty-fucking-thirteen. Rest of the consoles graduated to Internet nearly an entire decade ago, and just imagine if the Nintendo games that were online now, had their Internet taken away, just because you thought "oh well its meant to be played with friends only" If that were true, then we wouldn't see so many damn threads of strangers trading friend codes. I've traded 10 or so Animal Crossing Friendcodes with complete strangers and dabbled around in their villages for awhile. It was more fun than the game could possibly offer by itself, but do you think I'm going to care about these strangers or play with them again 10 days from now? Like fucking hell... All I wanted was someone to experience multiplayer with, something I would NEVER EVER EVER experience as local play in the real world. I'm not in highschool anymore. the only time I see someone with a 3DS, or a NDS in their hands, are atleast 15-20 years younger than me, and my 3DS is at home anyways. And the entire life of Wii since 2006, if I didn't have Internet Multiplayer, then I didn't get to enjoy multiplayer's fun, period.

And finally, just imagine Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros without Internet... why would you wish that sort of injustice on Mario? I really could go on and on about this issue, but I gotta be at work in 20 minutes :\

You think playing with strangers makes the game harder due to a lack of communication? Fuck... I welcome that, with as easy as Mario games are. People can enjoy playing cooperatively, competitively, or both.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, it's more of a party game with real people. Online would be great, but having an excuse to invite friends over is good too.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
This is why Nintendo keeps failing with new super mario world style games. If they can have amazing online multiplayer with mario kart then why not with NSMB style games. Gaming has changed and now online is one of the most important things on a game. That and always adding the stupid toad to the squad... its time to add Wario, now that would be great... Meh whatever, its not like they are going to do anything about it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol +2