Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct - live coverage

Nintendo is here to showcase a look at Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Check out what's in store for the game in this 15-minute Direct that promises to show off some new gameplay aspects. We'll be rounding up the Direct as it airs, at 7am PT, so stay tuned.

This game takes place in the Flower Kingdom. Prince Florian is the leader of this new place. Bowser uses the Wonder Flower to merge with the entirety of Florian's castle.

There's six worlds, and seven areas. There's a rock area, snow area, sewer area, underwater area, a forest, lava, and desert levels. You can walk freely through the map, and play the levels in any order you want.

Luigi, Peach, Daisy, two different Toads, and Toadette all play the same. Yoshi and Nabbit are the easy mode characters.

Hoppycats are enemies that copy your movements. There are melon Pirhanna Plants that shoot seeds at you. Goombas, Boos, and Koopas are also in the game.

New power ups include Elephant form, where you can use your trunk to break blocks, dash through gaps, and store water to spray. Every character has this form.

Bubble Mario can blow bubbles at enemies to trap them.

Drill Mario can attack enemies by jumping into them from below. You can drill underground or into the ceiling and get through levels that way.

Fire Flowers are back, too. You can store or swap an extra power up at any time.

Wonder Flowers, when found, cause weird effects to the level. Mario might become a Gooma, turn into a balloon, or the level's perspective might change.

There are badges to collect that change the gameplay when equipped. These can give you a parachute cap, or give you a better wall jump, make you swim faster underwater, let you shoot vines, become invisible, give you more coins, and more. You get them by clearing challenge courses or purchasing them with Flower Coins.

The game supports 4-player local co-op. If you die, you turn into ghost, but can be revived by another player jumping into you. Yoshi's can ride Yoshi's, too.

Online play exists in the form of live player ghosts. You're not playing together directly, but you can see them in your level.

You can however race courses online with a friend.

There's going to be a new Switch OLED to go with it, fully red dock and Joy-Cons.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else sick of 2D Mario at this point?
No, but I am tired of Nintendo being absurdly lazy with the special edition switches… This new one is just red with a couple visual extras that will never be seen unless you have your switch dock backwards for some reason…

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s the first new one in 11 years. How can you be sick of it?
Was NSMB2 really a new game or just rehashed with a ton of coins? That's one of the 2D Mario games that felt lazy, cheap, and unoriginal.

If there was a way to play without the coins appearing constantly, it'd have been better.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yep, it is confirmed. Nintendo devs have officially lost their minds! :wacko:

I did notice the lack of Mario's voice, which was prominent in past titles. I think they're phasing it out due to Martinet retiring as voice actor, which is kind of sad - however, I'm not sure that was Martinet...? Listen close and tell me if Mario sounds different to you, or if I'm making this stuff up in my head.

I also do not particularly like the new character designs. They can pass on this one in future titles.

It was confirmed that Martinet is not involved in Wonder

• Sad
Reactions: HarveyHouston

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This new edition doesn't look all that great...

112872-nintendo-switch-oled-model-mario-red-edition-front-dock-joy-con-1200x675

112872-nintendo-switch-oled-model-mario-red-edition-dock-console-back-1200x675

https://www.nintendo.com/en-us/store/products/nintendo-switch-oled-model-mario-red-edition-112872/

Save that $350 for the successor.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had to go back to see, the coins aren't even visible from the outside, without keeping the back opened.

If 2d Mario gets more RPGs elements in the future, I'm all for it.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The talking flowers could've been a great way to display Miiverse posts, just imagine ghost flowers appearing randomly in the level with user-created drawings and text posts.

Come the fuck on, Nintendo. Stop beating around the bush and bring back Miiverse.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Looks like it will probably be a fun little New Super Mario Bros Switch. But the world themes are as lazy and uninspired as ever.

Reactions: Mike_77712

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like it will probably be a fun little New Super Mario Bros Switch. But the world themes are as lazy and uninspired as ever.
I just hate the desert area. It's always like this. World 2 is a desert area since Mario 3. This is why I prefer SMW by a lot.

Reactions: Ligeia

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This Direct literally spoiled everything. My fault though, I just learned that I don't ever watch a Direct dedicated to one single game again if I'm looking forward to play it anyway.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new Mario/Luigi VA sounds high pitched, but still similar to Martinet.

Surely Nintendo wouldn't use Martinet's voice clips, add a high pitch, and use as their own. That'd be pretty f* up.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Okay after watching the direct seriously, I'm pretty hyped up for this game. I think I might actually get it. I didn't expect this direct from a Mario game to be great.

They're giving Mario fans a lot of good content this year. I still don't believe that SMRPG Remake is real though. That's unbelievable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto